Law & Order Forums

NBC (ended 2010)

Cancellation and Characters Leaving Rumors/Spoilers

NickNotto

[1]Apr 25, 2006
    • level: 10

Question: Will all of the Law & Order shows return as-is next year?  — Kris

Ausiello: Definitely not, and that brings me to this week's big-ass prattle poop. Dick Wolf sent out a memo to casting directors on both coasts last week alerting them that they will be "adding series regulars to all of the Law & Order shows for next season." Among the roles they're looking to fill: male and female cops, young and seasoned; male and female detectives, open age; male and female ADAs, young; male and female lawyers/DAs, open age. The memo went on to say that "the most important characteristic that your actors must posses is a very New York edge." Now, keep in mind that Wolf has already said that a major cast member will be leaving Law & Order next season, but the exodus apparently extends far beyond the mothership. Speaking of which, NBC released this teaser about the May 17 finale that may provide clues as to who's leaving. "In a legal gambit, ADA McCoy (Sam Waterston) must then risk his career — and those of others, as well — to bend the rules." Sounds like Sammy may not be long for the L&O universe.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Greenfan

[2]Apr 26, 2006
    • level: 2
    Sounds like Dick Wolf is going to clean house on all the shows. Don't know if I am going to keep watching if some of my favorite characters are gone. You can go just so far in removing people and completely change the whole show(s). Lets hope he doesn't go to far.

NickNotto

[3]Apr 26, 2006
    • level: 10
    Well Annie Parisse quit and Sam Waterson may be leaving because he's been there so long and feels like he's done everything he can.  On the Criminal Intent Side it looks like Jamie Sheriden is leaving, based on the preview for the season finale.  Rumors have persisted the Jesse Martin is leaving. The only thing we know about SVU is Mariska being on maternity, any news on Ice T or Beltzer?

11westwood

[4]Apr 29, 2006
    If Sam quits, you can cancel it right now.

WittyName

[5]Apr 30, 2006
    • level: 6

Oh yes! The Law & Order world could use a little shake-up. Sam Waterston leaving could refresh the show. He could make guest appearances now and against to guy the new EADA and his Assistant DA (both new cast members). Branch doesn't get re-elected, so we get a new District Attorney.

On the SVU side, I was looking forward to Elliot Stabler and John Munch teaming up, while Odafin Tutuola and Olivia Benson worked together. However, with new cast members, I would expect Stabler and Benson to get completely new partners. I have no clue if Diane Neal is set to return or not, but I wouldn't be against seeing a male SVU ADA. I also think they'll cast someone to play the ADA's Bureau Chief on a more regular basis.

Criminal Intent getting a secondary Detective to appear as an extra hand Goren & Eames/Logan & Barek would be a nice touch. They'll probably get a new Captain as well.

These changes are welcome, in my opinion. They can cast an entirely new "Order" cast for the original show, hopefully one that play off each other really well. You can maybe replace Jesse L. Martin's Ed Green, as well. A female cop on the original show as yet to be done (in the Detective role). Perhaps we will see it next season?

The SVU cast changes may be less permanent, but will add a specialty to the show. The Criminal Intent changes may even see Vincent D'Onofrio leave, which would be a shame, but once again, changes can be a good thing. One thing I think CI needs is character development. We very rarely get that, and hopefully we see that change. It just occured to me that in five years, a single cast member has yet to leave the show.       

animaltalker1

[6]May 14, 2006
    • level: 9
    Now that CI has rotating detective teams I don't see anyone leaving too soon on less VDO gets the itch to do movies and can't swing it during the down time, the person I could see leaving is Courtney Vance, he and his wife live in LA and have recently had twins via a surrogate. I wonder if he's gonna want to keep being bicostal with two babies he's gonna be missing out on all the time.

animaltalker1

[7]May 14, 2006
    Greenfan wrote:
    Sounds like Dick Wolf is going to clean house on all the shows. .

I doubt that, I suspect that casting note went out because they aren't sure what's goign to happen and which direction they want to go. could even be a bargaining position for new contracts. You know, look sign cause I can easily replace you.
    Edited on 05/14/2006 2:48am

ladybritcomfan

[8]May 17, 2006
    • level: 36
    I second that.

JPPT1974

[9]May 17, 2006
    • level: 50

animaltalker1 wrote:
    Greenfan wrote:
    Sounds like Dick Wolf is going to clean house on all the shows. .
    I doubt that, I suspect that casting note went out because they aren't sure what's goign to happen and which direction they want to go. could even be a bargaining position for new contracts. You know, look sign cause I can easily replace you.

Yea it looks as though Dick Wolf wants more younger viewers do you suppose!

Dewbak75

[10]May 18, 2006
    • level: 18

WittyName wrote:

Oh yes! The Law & Order world could use a little shake-up. Sam Waterston leaving could refresh the show. He could make guest appearances now and against to guy the new EADA and his Assistant DA (both new cast members). Branch doesn't get re-elected, so we get a new District Attorney.

If Sam Waterston leaves my first choice to replace him would be to bring back Angie Harmon, but this time give Abby the senior spot. Out of all the 2nd-chair ADA's they've had, she's the only one I could see moving up to take the lead. I think Angie Harmon has a new show slated for mid-season next year though, so that might not be possible.

ELSWINGER

[11]May 19, 2006
    • level: 3
    With Conviction cancelled there are a lot of good actors that need jobs.  I wouldn't mind Anson Mount replacing Sam Waterson and Julianne Nicholson replacing Annie Parrise.  I thought Conviction was getting better with each episode.

momathome

[12]May 19, 2006
    • level: 5

Greenfan wrote:
    Sounds like Dick Wolf is going to clean house on all the shows. Don't know if I am going to keep watching if some of my favorite characters are gone. You can go just so far in removing people and completely change the whole show(s). Lets hope he doesn't go to far.

I felt that way back in the beginning before Jack McCoy even joined the cast. 

I didn't think I wanted to watch any more when they got rid of  Robinnette and then Ben Stone, and when Dann Florek left (later to reappear on SVU) and when they killed off Max, and then Claire, and then Logan left (later to reappear on CI) and when Adam Schiff left, then Curtis, and most of all, when Lenny left and subsequently died.

There are no more original characters on the show. Adam Schiff was the last.

But all these years later I am still watching.  It's a formula show - designed to be able to survive any and all cast changes. And it has, because the show is bigger than any of its characters.  If it could survive the departure of everyone who has left, it can survive the departure of Borgia, and Jack and whoever else decides to move on. 

Edited on 05/19/2006 10:31am

jenrar

[13]May 24, 2006
    Why not bring back Stephanie March (aka ADA Alex Cabot?)? What does Bureau Chief mean? heh

Anson Mount is definitely a hottie. Would love to see him on there. As well as Eric Balfour. As for women, I dunno any that I'd rather see more than Stephanie March.

bassgirl06

[14]May 24, 2006
    • level: 11
    Abbie was the best ADA the show (mothership) had, so I'd really like to see her on again as first chair. She was the only ADA that really got to handle her own cases. Who cares if she's got another show! Bring Abbie back!!!!!!

Dewbak75

[15]May 24, 2006
    • level: 18

momathome wrote:

There are no more original characters on the show. Adam Schiff was the last.

Actually, that's only sorta true. The very first episode produced was "Everybody's Favorite Bagman", for CBS no less. NBC eventually got the show, and the pilot episode was aired out of order. Steven Hill wasn't in the episode, but because he'd been in the first few that aired(which were produced after he joined the cast), he's in the credits anyway.

BarryWeen3

[16]May 31, 2006
    • level: 14

I also have the feeling that Sam Watterson is leaving the show.  And Dennis Farina is definitely leaving the show after only two seasons.  Here's a link from AOL entertainment news: http://news.aol.com/entertainment/tv/articles/_a/dennis-farina-to-leave-law-and-order/20060531070809990001

I'm thinking we'll see a whole new cast for this new season with the only holdovers being D.A. Branch and S. Epatha Markeson (sp?).

As for SVU, when Mariska Hargitay goes on maternity leave, Stabler will be partnered up with Connie Nelsen (she's the actress from Gladiator, Mission to Mars, The Ice Harvest) for six episodes, I believe, and she plays a U.S. Marshall, I think, she's not going to be a NYPD detective, I'm pretty sure.  They were going to try originally to have Marcia Gay Harden as Stabler's partner, but the scheduling didn't work out, she played the undercover agent from the episode "RAW".

I can see the captain leaving from Criminal Intent, and maybe introducing yet another pair of detectives.  I'm not excited about that possibility as the two teams is more than enough right now.  I liked the show to begin with because of Vincent D'onofrio's character, but due to his exhaustion problems, at least they were able to work that out.

And I agree with the other poster that Conviction did grow on me with each successive episode.  But it looks like three Law and Order shows are the limit.  And yes, Conviction didn't have the Law and Order tag in front of it, but it was a Law and Order show, they just didn't tie it in as much as they did with Trial by Jury.  Wonder if Dick Wolf is going to try for a third time?

Dawnsdinosaurs

[17]May 31, 2006
    • level: 40
    NickNotto wrote:
    Well Annie Parisse quit and Sam Waterson may be leaving because he's been there so long and feels like he's done everything he can. On the Criminal Intent Side it looks like Jamie Sheriden is leaving, based on the preview for the season finale. Rumors have persisted the Jesse Martin is leaving. The only thing we know about SVU is Mariska being on maternity, any news on Ice T or Beltzer?

I saw on one of the casting sites that SVU is already up to casting for the 8th episode on May 16th. I had forgotten about her being pregnant. I guess that's why they're doing this so early.

Here are the roles listed for Law and Order New Series Regulars

# ADA Clarkson (rev May 9, 2006)

# ADA White (rev May 9, 2006)

# Captain White

# Detective Black (Female) (rev May 9, 2006)

# Detective Brown (Female)

# Detective Brown (Male) (rev May 9, 2006)

I'm not too worried about them bringing in new actors and characters look at how many different ones have already been through this show.

Johnny_Archer

[18]Jun 1, 2006
    This news sucks. Farina was my top reason to watch L&O Wed. nights!!! And what is up with moving to FRIDAY! Now it'll go against Dr. Who, Smackdown, SG1, & or Atlantis!!!

And who the hell said rotating teams on CI was a good idea? I hate Logan's partner and I miss Vincent every Sunday!

Quit shaking up my shows, I liked them as they were!!!

FanWriter

[19]Jun 1, 2006
    • level: 7
    If Sam Watterson ever wanted to leave, then I'd hope they'd make a deal with him for him to have limited appearances... aka, they could make him replace Arthur Branch and have McCoy become District Attorney. Then I think it would be great if one character from Law & Order: Trial By Jury (like Bebe Neuwirth) and one character from Conviction (Like Anson Mount or Julianne Nicolson) become the ADA's.

Minarvia

[20]Jun 2, 2006
    • level: 39

Johnny_Archer wrote:
    This news sucks. Farina was my top reason to watch L&O Wed. nights!!! And what is up with moving to FRIDAY! Now it'll go against Dr. Who, Smackdown, SG1, & or Atlantis!!!

I knew about Farina leaving, but the show moving to Fridays? When did you heard about that one? Also with Dr. Who, I think one doesn't have to worry about that, because it with its 14 episode season, it makes for the perfect summer series.