Law & Order Forums

NBC (ended 2010)

Is Jack going to be back next season?

Tokimasa

[1]May 29, 2006
    • level: 10
    The actor isn't looking in all that great health, so are they going to can the character (retirement perhaps)?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Dawnsdinosaurs

[2]May 29, 2006
    • level: 40
        I'm not sure but I saw somewhere that they are casting 2 ADA's for next season as regulars for  Law & Order so I guess it's possible.

Vessa289

[3]May 30, 2006
    • level: 6
    What's wrong with Waterston's health?

It'd be a real blow if he left the show. Maybe they'll just give him less episodes, like they did with D'Onofrio when he kept collapsing on the set of CI.

1lawfan

[4]May 30, 2006
    • level: 4
    I agree, I hope they can just give him less episodes if he wants some time off...long running shows like MASH had many character changes, but if they lost Alan Alda, it just wouldn't of worked. I feel that way about Waterson.

Tokimasa

[5]May 30, 2006
    • level: 10
    Vessa289 wrote:
    What's wrong with Waterston's health?

Nothing that I know of. He's just not looking in top shape. It looks like he aged a lot in one season, and that's not good for anyone, especially when they can do make up and stuff to cover that up...

Vessa289 wrote:
    It'd be a real blow if he left the show. Maybe they'll just give him less episodes, like they did with D'Onofrio when he kept collapsing on the set of CI.

He kept collapsing on the set? That's why he's only in about 1/2 the eps now? I don't like Logan's partner so I don't watch CI as much as I used to.

Vessa289

[6]May 31, 2006
    I think they said D'Onofrio fainted twice, and they put it down to the work load he had to carry, being the main focus of CI.

I suppose Waterston would have the same burden; he pretty much carries the second half of the show. Maybe he's tired.

1lawfan

[7]May 31, 2006
    I remember him saying he wanted to do more plays or have the freedom to do something else. He did a play near me in CT and was interviewed about how he had the time, etc. It might be a ploy for money, but something tells me he doesn't need it. : ) He has shown more age the past year and he does carry a bulk of the show. Vince Donofrio if you look at shows a couple of years back, looked awful, puffy and tired, and that's when he was having trouble on the show. Speculation is all anyone has beyond his just being tired, but unlike the other Law & Order shows, he did the whole show, while McKoy comes in the second half usually and on SVU, they have 4 or more characters taking scenes so they have a break. Dick Wolf wanted to make sure there wasn't any problems in the future and brought in Noth to help him out.
    Edited on 05/31/2006 3:48am

Riley_HP

[8]Jun 30, 2006
    • level: 8

I love Chris Noth (from the first 5 seasons of L&O, not Sex and the City, I never watched that show). So, I was happy that they brought him in! And I like Vincent D'Onofrio too. But I like Katherine Erbe, better than Annabella Sciorra.

About Jack, at the end of the last season finale, they brought in another prosecutor to try the case of Alex's death. They said it was because Jack was too close to her to be impartial, but it could be the beginning of Jack leaving the show. I hope not though! I LOVE Sam Waterston!

Anyway...
    ~Riley =)

PS. Has anyone noticed that Vincent D'Onofrio does a lot of movies with Vince Vaughn? They were both in "The Cell", "Thumbsucker" and now in the new movie "The Break Up". Why is that? Is it just coincidence?
    Edited on 06/30/2006 9:55pm

ladybritcomfan

[9]Jul 3, 2006
    • level: 36
    1lawfan wrote:
    I agree, I hope they can just give him less episodes if he wants some time off...long running shows like MASH had many character changes, but if they lost Alan Alda, it just wouldn't of worked. I feel that way about Waterson.

I agree. When it was first announced that Sam Waterston was taking over as the D.A. on L&O, my mother and I both scratched our heads and said "huh?" But after his first episode I thought that this guy is awesome! I wouldn't want another actor to take his place on the show. That would be messed up.

Sam Waterston forever!!!!!

wikiman48

[10]Jul 19, 2006
    • level: 19
    Right now Waterstone is my favorite actor on the show since Farina is leaving the show. He is older but I hope he lasts a couple more seasons. By the way there are not going to be two A.D.A.s next season.

animaltalker1

[11]Jul 24, 2006
    • level: 9
    Just read an article http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/columnists/sfl-tvtjla-lampojul25,0,5419262.column?coll=sfla-features-col in which Dick Wolf says Sam Waterston will be in all 22 episodes next seasons so relax

Vessa289

[12]Jul 25, 2006
    *relaxes*

That's good news.

lupinskitten

[13]Jul 26, 2006
    • level: 5
    People were actually worried about this? Sam is one of the two last long-standing characters on the show. If he were leaving, we would know about it MONTHS in advance. (And then the franchise would sadly end, because I think he's what's keeping a good portion of the audience watching.)

JPPT1974

[14]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 50
    If he left, that would be a big blow to the show. Since he is one of the long standing characters. I would put him up there long-standing with Lennie, Adam, and Van Buren!

THEJELLYBEAN66

[15]Aug 9, 2006
    • level: 17

ladybritcomfan wrote:
    1lawfan wrote:

I agree. When it was first announced that Sam Waterston was taking over as the D.A. on L&O, my mother and I both scratched our heads and said "huh?" But after his first episode I thought that this guy is awesome! I wouldn't want another actor to take his place on the show. That would be messed up.

Sam Waterston forever!!!!!

I think Sam Waterston is so hot...I've seen him in other movies where he's got brown hair but he looks so much better older with the salt n pepper color... *sigh* LOL...he's almost twice my age...and a few years older than my dad! 

WittyName

[16]Sep 2, 2006
    I don't want to upset any Sam Waterston fans (I myself am one of them), but I actually think him leaving would help the show rather than hurt it. This show isn't driven by character as much plot. Stick a dog in Sam Waterston's place, and a few people will still watch (but will unfortunately stop when the dog doesn't develop a character, and the sexual tension between it and the Assistant District Attorney goes nowhere). I would love to see the show hand out more character-based episodes, and really try and win some Emmys, etc., but that's just the way the show is these days.

If Waterston left, it would bring a new actor, and hopefully they'd really build up a character. Make him really passionate in the courtroom, and give him more development than any real character has gotten in a while. It doesn't detract from the plot (see Homicide: Life on the Street for a good example), and it would really make the characters more memorable. And yes, there is something stylish about Waterston's "old but still a player" hair. Unfortunately, it's pretty much all grey now. He's no younger that "distinguished" guy, and is that "old" guy. I think it is time to either move Jack McCoy to just being the occasion mentor to a new EADA, who seeks his advice time-to-time, or have him become the new DA.

THEJELLYBEAN66

[17]Sep 3, 2006
    WittyName wrote:
    I don't want to upset any Sam Waterston fans (I myself am one of them), but I actually think him leaving would help the show rather than hurt it. This show isn't driven by character as much plot. Stick a dog in Sam Waterston's place, and a few people will still watch (but will unfortunately stop when the dog doesn't develop a character, and the sexual tension between it and the Assistant District Attorney goes nowhere). I would love to see the show hand out more character-based episodes, and really try and win some Emmys, etc., but that's just the way the show is these days.

If Waterston left, it would bring a new actor, and hopefully they'd really build up a character. Make him really passionate in the courtroom, and give him more development than any real character has gotten in a while. It doesn't detract from the plot (see Homicide: Life on the Street for a good example), and it would really make the characters more memorable. And yes, there is something stylish about Waterston's "old but still a player" hair. Unfortunately, it's pretty much all grey now. He's no younger that "distinguished" guy, and is that "old" guy. I think it is time to either move Jack McCoy to just being the occasion mentor to a new EADA, who seeks his advice time-to-time, or have him become the new DA.

*sticks tongue out at WittyName*

Cadeyrn749

[18]Sep 9, 2006
    I like the idea of him becoming head honcho in the D.As office. Also, I think maybe developing the characters a bit more is a good idea, but let's not have it turn into NYPD Blue or Conviction. Homicide...boy do I miss that show. Thank god Belzer got on SVU. RIP Jerry Orbach

THEJELLYBEAN66

[19]Sep 11, 2006

WittyName wrote:
    I don't want to upset any Sam Waterston fans (I myself am one of them), but I actually think him leaving would help the show rather than hurt it. This show isn't driven by character as much plot. Stick a dog in Sam Waterston's place, and a few people will still watch (but will unfortunately stop when the dog doesn't develop a character, and the sexual tension between it and the Assistant District Attorney goes nowhere). I would love to see the show hand out more character-based episodes, and really try and win some Emmys, etc., but that's just the way the show is these days. If Waterston left, it would bring a new actor, and hopefully they'd really build up a character. Make him really passionate in the courtroom, and give him more development than any real character has gotten in a while. It doesn't detract from the plot (see Homicide: Life on the Street for a good example), and it would really make the characters more memorable. And yes, there is something stylish about Waterston's "old but still a player" hair. Unfortunately, it's pretty much all grey now. He's no younger that "distinguished" guy, and is that "old" guy. I think it is time to either move Jack McCoy to just being the occasion mentor to a new EADA, who seeks his advice time-to-time, or have him become the new DA.

Cadeyrn749 wrote:
    I like the idea of him becoming head honcho in the D.As office. Also, I think maybe developing the characters a bit more is a good idea, but let's not have it turn into NYPD Blue or Conviction. Homicide...boy do I miss that show. Thank god Belzer got on SVU. RIP Jerry Orbach

I kind of agree with the Jack McCoy as the DA....But I really really like Fred Thompson's DA. The way they write for him is great. I liked the other DAs but Arthur Branch is the best. Jerry Orbach..RIP...

Edited on 09/11/2006 12:08pm

starbuck_555

[20]Sep 13, 2006
    • level: 3
    I really liked Farina's character and thought he was a perfect addition to the show. Once I heard he was leaving I was really hoping they would bring Michael Imperioli on full time with Jamie Martin....but alas....they didn't.

At this point I don't think McCoy is too old....but it would make for a nice transition to put him in the DA's chair.