Law & Order Forums

NBC (ended 2010)

It's Official: "Law & Order" has been CANCELED!

dad1153

[1]May 13, 2010
    • level: 11

FRIDAY MAY 14th UPDATE:

http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/nbc-picks-up-losvu-and-lola-officially-cancels-lo/("SVU" and the new"Law & Order: Los Angeles" go forward).

:
    NBC will end its historic and record-tying "Law & Order" when the mothership series concludes its 20th season on Monday, May 24 (10-11 p.m. ET).

Jeff Gaspin, Chairman, NBC Universal Television Entertainment said,"The full measure of the collective contributions made by Dick Wolf and his 'Law & Order' franchise over the last two decades to the success of NBC and Universal Media Studios cannot be overstated. The legacy of his original 'Law & Order' series will continue to make an impact like no other series before."

Bromstad added: "'Law & Order' has been one of the most successful franchises in the history of television, which is why it is so critical that we continue this important brand and our relationship with Dick Wolf and his team with 'LOLA' and 'Law & Order: SVU.'"

Cry

Edited on 05/14/2010 11:08am
    Edited 4 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dad1153

[2]May 13, 2010

FutonCritic Tweets the show ain't dead yet: http://twitter.com/thefutoncritic/status/13935454949

:
    We're told LAW & ORDER cancellation report is a bit premature: negotiations are still ongoing and a deal is still possible by Monday

dad1153

[3]May 13, 2010

E! Online reports the show is kaput: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b180908_law_order_dead_buried.html

Back and forth it goes...

Dewbak75

[4]May 13, 2010
    • level: 18

It's possible NBC let this rumor get out to see what the reaction would be, and from what I've seen most people are pretty upset. The show's gotten much better the last couple of years, it'd be a real shame if it ended now. Criminal Intent's been very good this season as well with Saffron Burrows & Jeff Goldblum working together. It's SVU that's gotten stale and depressing(coincidentally its the one with the least cast turnover). Maybe if NBC would treat the L&O mothership properly, with a stable timeslot and the promotion it deserves, it'd be more successful for them. But no, they had to go try their Jay Leno primetime experiment. Look how well that turned out. And now there's this talk about them trying to develop a "Law & Order: Los Angeles"? If they try to give us L&O:LA instead of the mothership, it's gonna tank HARD.

dad1153

[5]May 13, 2010

NY Mag's Josef Adalian (a reliable reporter) says Dick Wolf turned down a 6-10 episode 21st season of "L&O" because NBC wanted him to cut his share of the profits and reduce the budget; maybe Wolf wants TNT to pull a "Southland" and resurrect his (though technically NBC owns it) show on cable: http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/05/law_order_canceled_dick_wolf.html.

dad1153

[6]May 13, 2010

NY Times tweet from Brian Stelter:

:
    Another "L&O" producer, Fred Berner, tells me he was also told of cancellation. If true, "it's a kick in the gut to New York."

bluejayfusion

[7]May 13, 2010
    • level: 16

I see NBC really enjoys its new place as what WB and UPN once were. First they drop Southland- one of the few great 'new' crime dramas. and now, lets cancel my favorite show. If people would watch L&O instead of bashing it for being old and not having its former ratings, they would realize that the show is still going strong. Give me new L&O to new CSI any day!

dad1153

[8]May 13, 2010

TNT says they're not ready to pick-up "L&O" for first-run episodes... for now: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/

watcher1006

[9]May 13, 2010
    • level: 10

dad1153 wrote:

NY Times tweet from Brian Stelter:

:
    Another "L&O" producer, Fred Berner, tells me he was also told of cancellation. If true, "it's a kick in the gut to New York."

These things do sometimes change at the last minute. But if the show is truly canceled, then it is indeed a loss for New York City.

Here's to all the shows about New York City that are truly filmed IN New York City, of which Law & Order was the prime example.

danharr

[10]May 13, 2010
    • level: 45

Sorry but I have to believe Yahoo and at the very least tv.com would have something about the show being canceled so I doubt it.

Jim856796

[11]May 13, 2010
    • level: 14
    Law & Order has been cancelled after 20 seasons. First Epatha Merkerson plans to leave the show and now this happens. The show has been renewed for a record-breaking 21st season, but this is becoming unlikely due to the recent reports. The 20th season finale doesn't deserve to be a proper series finale, based on the show's longevity, the show has to be eligible for one. There should be a law requiring that any network TV show which has ran for four or more seasons to get a PROPER series finale. There are some fans out there who have probably heard this news and are starting a letter-writing campaign to the network to bring the show back for a farewell season in 2010-11. After then Law and Order will end its run and the also-long-running SVU and CI (on the USA Network) agree to stay on for a few more seasons.

jmortonloci

[12]May 13, 2010
    • level: 4

I'd rather them cancel Law & Order: CRIMINAL INTENT over the Mothership!

This is wrong. I hope L&O does a Southland (TNT)! Or a LOCI. (USA, but they may screw the series like they did LOCI)

LVBH

[13]May 13, 2010
    • level: 1

I hope it's not true either. I love this show!!! But if it is true, what do you guys think of a possible crossover? Since the Elliot character is leaving, how about Lupo partnering up with Benson? It would be cool if TNT picks it up but supposendly TNT's syndication contract with L&O is also ending.

ArthurBranch

[14]May 14, 2010
    • level: 5

A 6-10 episode run would be kind of ridiculous.

It seems also as if this was a ploy, too. I really doubt they'll let it cancel.

What's sad is that despite the reports of the ratings trouble, it was doing VERY WELL on Friday nights -- it was when they moved it to Monday it wasn't doing well.

I will say this -- I want it to remain on NBC one more year -- but after that, I WANT IT ON TNT. TNT will commit to the series. I don't care what network it is on. I want it to get 21 seasons on NBC, but 22 and beyond? Take it to TNT and take it out from under the pervue of NBC's idiocy.

dad1153

[15]May 14, 2010

The fat lady has sung: NBC OFFICIALLY CANCELS "L&O" - http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/nbc-picks-up-losvu-and-lola-officially-cancels-lo/

CryCryCryEmbarassed

dad1153

[16]May 14, 2010

Dick Wolf speaks: http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/05/official-nbc-cancels-law-order-.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+live_feed+%28The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Live+Feed%29

:
    Wolf issued this statement: "Never complain. Never explain."

Since the May 24 finale has already been shot, the final episode won't provide much closure to fans. Sources say NBC and Wolf plan to meet after the upfronts to discuss possible "closure opportunities" for the show, possibly having characters from "L&O" appear on the "Los Angeles" spinoff, or even having a two-hour wrap-up movie.

Rc1981

[17]May 14, 2010
    Law and Order Los Angeles just doesn't even sound right to me...If Law and Order isn't in New York, then let there be no Law and Order. I don't even know what to say at the moment...I'm floored. Can't believe this can be true

ArthurBranch

[18]May 14, 2010
    I think TNT picks it up -- they couldn't really comment until it was released. Obviously Wolf isn't going to demand the same type of fees from a cable network as he would from NBC. The original should not die. It makes no sense, by the way, to have three spin offs and not the original. Granted, it continues the storyline, so the original could pop back up again, but really should occur next season.

Frankly, since NBC doesn't want it, I'd rather see it on a cable network which would value it immensely. Guarantee you it would be great ratings for any calbe network, and we wouldn't have to go through this year to year torture, which ended today.

Jim856796

[19]May 14, 2010
    • level: 14
    "The National Broadcasting Company has come to terms on the release of the long-running legal drama Law & Order as of May, 2010. NBC wishes law & Order the best in all future endeavours."

Okay, the original Law & Order has been cancelled and there will not be a final wrap-up season like ER. We'll have to wait the entire 2010s decade until the original CSI ties its record or perhaps breaks it if it is still a main eventer in the Nielsen ratings. Even though it is cancelled, we will fight for proper closure to the original series. The character of the original series appearing in the new Los Angeles-set spinoff will not help, so the only way to bring proper closure to the series will be to film a final two-hour wrap-up movie. Think of that as a real series finale. It can be split up into two separate episodes. Any TV show that has aired for four seasons or more has the right to a proper finale to wrap up all the series' storylines.

Law & Order; 20 seasons 456 episodes (or 458 if the proposed TV movie is counted).

ArthurBranch

[20]May 14, 2010
    Jim856796 wrote:
    "The National Broadcasting Company has come to terms on the release of the long-running legal drama Law & Order as of May, 2010. NBC wishes law & Order the best in all future endeavours."

Okay, the original Law & Order has been cancelled and there will not be a final wrap-up season like ER. We'll have to wait the entire 2010s decade until the original CSI ties its record or perhaps breaks it if it is still a main eventer in the Nielsen ratings. Even though it is cancelled, we will fight for proper closure to the original series. The character of the original series appearing in the new Los Angeles-set spinoff will not help, so the only way to bring proper closure to the series will be to film a final two-hour wrap-up movie. Think of that as a real series finale. It can be split up into two separate episodes. Any TV show that has aired for four seasons or more has the right to a proper finale to wrap up all the series' storylines.

Law & Order; 20 seasons 456 episodes (or 458 if the proposed TV movie is counted).

No, this isn't what we do, at this piont. If they're going to take CI to USA, they could take L&O to USA. L&O has 847K fans on Facebook and if shows like Leverage, etc, can make it on TNT, then L&O can with its large built in fan base. This is what you do:

1. Contact NBC and urge them to rescind their cancellation (they've done that before in the past) or take it to USA, like they did with CI.

2. Contact TNT and urge them to pick it up. Yes, I know TNT was quoted as saying they're not negotiating with Wolf because at the time, Wolf was talking with NBC. Now that they've put out the press release, that can open up again. TNT has ALWAYS wanted the original shows. Yes, they've put reruns in the afternoon now, but with the first-runs now up for grabs, they can pick it up as they nearly did in 2007.