Law & Order Forums

NBC (ended 2010)

It's Official: "Law & Order" has been CANCELED!

danharr

[21]May 14, 2010
    • level: 45

Can't believe it but the show is done tv.guide and yahoo are reporting it. Out with the mothership in with L&O Los Angeles oh well at least I have another show to go with Criminal Intent but this is so sad.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Jim856796

[22]May 15, 2010
    • level: 14
    ArthurBranch wrote:
    Jim856796 wrote:
    "The National Broadcasting Company has come to terms on the release of the long-running legal drama Law & Order as of May, 2010. NBC wishes law & Order the best in all future endeavours."

Okay, the original Law & Order has been cancelled and there will not be a final wrap-up season like ER. We'll have to wait the entire 2010s decade until the original CSI ties its record or perhaps breaks it if it is still a main eventer in the Nielsen ratings. Even though it is cancelled, we will fight for proper closure to the original series. The character of the original series appearing in the new Los Angeles-set spinoff will not help, so the only way to bring proper closure to the series will be to film a final two-hour wrap-up movie. Think of that as a real series finale. It can be split up into two separate episodes. Any TV show that has aired for four seasons or more has the right to a proper finale to wrap up all the series' storylines.

Law & Order; 20 seasons 456 episodes (or 458 if the proposed TV movie is counted).

No, this isn't what we do, at this piont. If they're going to take CI to USA, they could take L&O to USA. L&O has 847K fans on Facebook and if shows like Leverage, etc, can make it on TNT, then L&O can with its large built in fan base. This is what you do:

1. Contact NBC and urge them to rescind their cancellation (they've done that before in the past) or take it to USA, like they did with CI.

2. Contact TNT and urge them to pick it up. Yes, I know TNT was quoted as saying they're not negotiating with Wolf because at the time, Wolf was talking with NBC. Now that they've put out the press release, that can open up again. TNT has ALWAYS wanted the original shows. Yes, they've put reruns in the afternoon now, but with the first-runs now up for grabs, they can pick it up as they nearly did in 2007.

No, we're petitioning Dick Wolf to go ahead and proceed with that final wrap-up TV film of the series. Then we let the series rest.

haldrey

[23]May 15, 2010
    • level: 22
    L&O Los Angeles, what? Good old L&O out, that spells disaster. I have been watching L&O for all the 20 seasons and its cancellation feels like loosing a dear family member. Guess that Anthony Anderson is out of luck, K-Ville, one season, L&O, two seasons. He is good but I do not want him in any of the shows I like.

pgsuperfan

[24]May 15, 2010
    • level: 25

Would be cool if TNT picked it up like they did with another NBC reject SOUTHLAND

angeland8

[25]May 16, 2010
    • level: 10
    The show was over a couple years ago. It was special because it was all about the case, not about personal lives of the characters... And then they began creating relationship between main characters - bad idea. And the plot - so pathetic... One of my favourite shows, rest in peace!

watcher1006

[26]May 17, 2010
    • level: 10

I regret losing this show and wish it could have gone on one more season. But I have to admit, it did feel tired. Ten years ago I remember how exciting it was to have the TV on and to be watching a new episode of Law and Order, the high level of attention I always had for it trying to follow the twists and turns of the crime plot and investigation. In the recent seasons I felt like I was watching the show more out of loyalty than genuine enthusiasm. While I liked Linus Roache, Alana de la Garza, Jeremy Sisto and Anthony Anderson I think that somehow their entries into the cast didn't bring new energy into the show the same way, for example, Angie Harmon and Jesse L. Martin did more than ten years ago. Nothing against their talents, but maybe the show itself just could only renew itself for so long. I once thought that the plot-centered formula could keep refreshing itself almost indefinitely, but it has felt like "same old, same old" for a while. And yet there'd be the occasional episode which would remind me of why I loved this show. In this final season the episode that stood out most for me was "Dignity", with its troubling exploration of the opposing sides of the abortion issue.

angeland8 wrote:
    The show was over a couple years ago. It was special because it was all about the case, not about personal lives of the characters... And then they began creating relationship between main characters - bad idea. And the plot - so pathetic... One of my favourite shows, rest in peace!

I agree that recently they did delve into the personal lives of the characters more. But this wasn't the first time this happened. If you watch some of the episodes in the latter part of the tenure of Carey Lowell (as Jamie Ross), say in the 1997-1998 time frame, you can see that they did start to explore the character's lives but then they backed away from it when Angie Harmon came on.The crime drama procedurals that are on now, they are much more character centered than Law and Order ever was. Just look at ABC's Castle which consistently beat L&O in its Monday timeslot. I think that the show's writers bowed to pressure of the trend, the thinking among higher-ups that focusing on the key characters themselves would help sell a TV series. As another example, the SVU spinoff is quite different from the original. There is lots of focus onthe team of Benson and Stabler. I feel that the show has long since bowed to the cult of character personality. Of course the fact that there's been relatively little cast turnover probably contributes to that. Watching it, I have to wonder whether the show would continue successfully if either Christopher Meloni or Mariska Hargitay left.

Edited on 05/17/2010 11:37am

Wallyhorse

[27]May 17, 2010
    • level: 7

The mothership may not be dead yet, two articles that note such:

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/17/law-order-creator-still-looking-to-bring-original-back/ (New York Times)

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118019495.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&ref=verttv (Variety)

As of now, NBC-Universal and Wolf are in talks with Time Warner/Turner to move the mothership to TNT for a 21st season.

tjoceasde

[28]May 17, 2010
    • level: 18

Wallyhorse wrote:

The mothership may not be dead yet, two articles that note such:

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/17/law-order-creator-still-looking-to-bring-original-back/ (New York Times)

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118019495.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&ref=verttv (Variety)

As of now, NBC-Universal and Wolf are in talks with Time Warner/Turner to move the mothership to TNT for a 21st season.

It is kind of weird how NBC referred to next week's episode as a "season finale." Maybe they know something that we don't. Or maybe they didn't have enough time to change the promo.

Antique22

[29]May 17, 2010
    • level: 11

I heard about Law & Order's cancelation on FOX News Radio and to me what I think NBC was trying to do was trying to make Law And Order be a franchise series and turn it into a whole line of spin-off series{Kinda like CBS is doing with CSI} and sadly every time that NBC had a Law And Order spin-off it was canceled due to low ratings or replaced with another NBC show. My mother was a fan of Law And Order when it first came out and liked it because it was a good show. But I think the reason why Law And Order went downhill was after Jerry Orbach died and former cast members went to other shows and the storylines were changed. Because had Jerry Orbach had not died and some of the cast members had stayed Law And Order would've been the same and these storylines would have never happened. I think that we will see a new Law And Order series sometime in the future and let's hope for the best,

Tiki

Wallyhorse

[30]May 18, 2010
    tjoceasde wrote:

It is kind of weird how NBC referred to next week's episode as a "season finale." Maybe they know something that we don't. Or maybe they didn't have enough time to change the promo.

That's because it looks like either there will be another season on TNT sometime in 2010-'11 OR the series will end with a two-hour movie sometime in that time frame. Barring anything unforseen, at worst there will be a movie, so that's why NBC didn't refer to it as a series finale, even though it will be the last regular NBC episode.

Wallyhorse

[31]May 18, 2010
    Antique22 wrote:

I heard about Law & Order's cancelation on FOX News Radio and to me what I think NBC was trying to do was trying to make Law And Order be a franchise series and turn it into a whole line of spin-off series{Kinda like CBS is doing with CSI} and sadly every time that NBC had a Law And Order spin-off it was canceled due to low ratings or replaced with another NBC show. My mother was a fan of Law And Order when it first came out and liked it because it was a good show. But I think the reason why Law And Order went downhill was after Jerry Orbach died and former cast members went to other shows and the storylines were changed. Because had Jerry Orbach had not died and some of the cast members had stayed Law And Order would've been the same and these storylines would have never happened. I think that we will see a new Law And Order series sometime in the future and let's hope for the best,

Actually, Orbach had moved on to "Trial By Jury" before his death in a move that would have had to happen anyway due to the fact that Lennie had reached the real-life mandatory NYPD retirement age of 63, something no one could have envisioned when Orbach joined the cast in 1992. The real downfall ironically was Elisabeth Rohm leaving midway through season 15. She may have been universally hated by real fans, but she apparently brought a lot of fans of WB shows with her and they left when she did.

pgsuperfan

[32]May 18, 2010
    • level: 25

The show would do great on TNT

Nickylucas

[33]May 18, 2010
    • level: 23

pgsuperfan wrote:

The show would do great on TNT

Agreed. TNT really treats this show very well.

And what sucks is that I JUST got into this show. (As you all can see because this is the first time I posted on these fourms).And now it's cancelled. TNT would be the best place for it to go on.

Ddrhl

[35]May 22, 2010
    • level: 1

I'll believe it when I see it.

I just don't want to see it.

haldrey

[36]May 26, 2010
    • level: 22
    An era is ended. An icon within the police shows has been terminated. Sad day.

Angelwomyn

[37]Jun 3, 2010
    • level: 65

If people wish to continue discussing this subject, including whether USA or TNT will pick up the show, please do so in this thread. Please do not keep starting new threads on this subject.

dad1153

[39]Jul 30, 2010
    • level: 11

Wolf said today that the show is officially dead: http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/tca-dick-wolf-confirms-law-order-is-dead/#more-58328. Oh well, we'll always have "LOLA"... NOT!

Edited on 07/30/2010 12:57pm

Munising1

[40]Sep 10, 2010
    • level: 4
    I was very sad to hear that. Law and Order was one of my favorite shows. It will be very missed.