Law & Order Forums

NBC (ended 2010)

Major Casting Spoiler/News

dad1153

[1]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 11
    ... Anthony Anderson (temporarily, like Michael Imperiolli two seasons ago), recently from K-Ville. So says The Hollywood Reporter: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i4c30b133022e19a31b7ead1cb33c775a.
    Edited on 04/23/2008 12:42am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

robinepowell

[2]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 63
    What?

candycanelane

[3]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 5
    NOOOOO!!!!! I LOVED this cast! Why oh why do they have to change it when it's working out so well?!

TesserT

[4]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 75
    I really like Jesse's character. Anthony Anderson will sure change the group if he plays the type of character he played on L&O:SVU (he played Detective Lucius Blaine Episode "Fat" 2006).

CaseyCal

[5]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 2
    Oh no! That's a big bummer. I love Jesse's character and am not such a big fan of Anderson. Shouldn't he be on the Shield? I guess he's done with playing the bad guy on that show.

robinepowell

[6]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 63

I guess Jesse wants to do more movies and being on L&O as a main star doesn't give him much time do just that.

Here's an article from TV Guide. http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-News-Blog/Todays-News/Order-Jesse-L/800033785

Wallyhorse

[7]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 7
    TesserT wrote:
    I really like Jesse's character. Anthony Anderson will sure change the group if he plays the type of character he played on L&O:SVU (he played Detective Lucius Blaine Episode "Fat" 2006).

He would most likely play that character again since it is already established from that one "SVU" episode.

AnimeleePM

[8]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 10
    Man, I thought he would film the movie and be replaced by Detective McCormack until his return? This **** sucks. I hope Anderson doesn't play the same detective that he did in that episode of SVU.

pika3000

[9]Feb 21, 2008
    • level: 4
    I personally think this is great, while I don't want Martin to leave I'm glad to know that we'll be getting another talented actor to take his place.

Sprtfan15

[10]Feb 21, 2008
    • level: 18
    dad1153 wrote:
    ... Anthony Anderson (temporarily, like Michael Imperiolli two seasons ago), recently from K-Ville. So says The Hollywood Reporter: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i4c30b133022e19a31b7ead1cb33c775a.

It's not temporary bud

pgsuperfan

[11]Feb 21, 2008
    • level: 25
    Sorry to see him leave they need to bring in someone totally new

crazybabecake

[12]Feb 21, 2008
    • level: 13
    I'm bummed to see him leave. He was the reason I started watching L&O. To bad, him and Sisto make great partners. I'm still going to tune in though. I'll give Anthony Anderson a chance before I bail, but I'm not convinced he is going to be any good on this show. He wasn't all that good in K-Ville, although that could have just been the crappy writing.

SunSpeed

[13]Feb 21, 2008
    • level: 30

I've just read a news article on Zap2it about Jesse L. Martin leaving L & O. Now I thought he was leaving temporarily with Anthony Anderson taking his place while he's away. That's what I was thinking after reading all of the posts up till earlier today. Then tonight I've read the Zap2it news article and realised that Jesse L. Martin is leaving Law and Order for good.

I hope he gets a good send-off, being as he's played the second longest running detective on L & O after Jerry Orbach. So the 13 episodes he signed up for are up to the last one filmed before the start of the Writer's Strike, and when filming resumes soon he is filming his 14th episode this season?

Gaby8529

[14]Feb 21, 2008
    • level: 24
    wow after 9 seasons he has to leave? NOOO!!!!! he was the last remaining detective from the Lenny briscoe era on the show. now we only have LT. Van buren and Jack Mccoy. let's hope they don't jump ship as well

mariska143

[15]Feb 21, 2008
    • level: 16
    That's really sad news for me- I really love Jesse L. Martin. I'm really hoping that Anderson doesn't play the same guy- I hated him on Law and Order. I just recently became readdicted to the show (I've found it harder to keep up because all the seasons aren't available) and I really love the chemistry between Sisto and Martin. I'll be really sad to see him go

vendbien

[16]Feb 21, 2008
    • level: 25

candycanelane wrote:
    NOOOOO!!!!! I LOVED this cast! Why oh why do they have to change it when it's working out so well?!

You should know (it's one of the best/worst kept secrets in Hollywood), Dick Wolf does not negotiate new contracts with stars. You take what he gives you and if you ask for more, he replaces you.

He believes that he is giving you your big break (or second chance, as in a few cases) and if you think you can do better (or make more money somewhere else), then go.

Jesse might not do better somewhere else, but he'll probably make more money.

BrakkerZ

[17]Feb 21, 2008
    • level: 2
    Damn! I think he show may officially be jumping the shark soon...

lawgotham

[18]Feb 22, 2008
    • level: 13
    I like Jesse Martin but Anthony Anderson is a fine actor. He's be a fine addition.

THEJELLYBEAN66

[19]Feb 22, 2008
    • level: 17
    This is a crushing blow for me. I loved JLM right away from the first episode. I loved AA in "The Shield" and I never got a chance to watch "K-Ville" (from what I'm told, I didn't miss much). I thought adding Sisto into the mix was a great choice...his work on SFU was superb. I'm more than willing to accept AA because since adding Sisto and Roache to the show, it's been revived. Last season was a bore for me. I'm glad JLM has the chance to go on to bigger & better things....

WittyName

[20]Mar 2, 2008
    • level: 6
    Jesse L. Martin wasn't that great, no disrespect to him intended. Him leaving will not cripple the show. Overall, he doesn't really crack the top list of characters.

Anthony Anderson also carries some presence with him. He's underrated as an actor, I bet he will be able to get a few laughs with sarcasm. I really, really wish it was Richard Belzer coming over, as he is the closest you will ever get to replacing Lennie Briscoe.

So, who is going to be senior detective? Personally, I hope Anthony Anderson plays a different character that commands a wealth of experience. Maybe even make him a Detective Sergeant, like Max Greevey and Phil Cerreta used to be?