Law & Order Forums

NBC (ended 2010)

Season 20 Discussion

  • Avatar of TesserT

    TesserT

    [1]May 19, 2009
    • member since: 11/13/07
    • level: 76
    • rank: Bassomatic '76
    • posts: 6,156
    Broadcasting & Cable

    NBC's 2009-2010 lineup will include returning shows Chuck and Law & Order as well as new programming like a half-hour SNL Weekend Update Thursday and the much-anticipated Jay Leno Show.

    Law & Order returns for its 20th season, returning at 8pm on Fridays. Southland will move from Sunday nights to Friday and follow Law & Order at 9pm.

    So how does everyone feel about the new day & time?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Angelwomyn

    Angelwomyn

    [2]May 19, 2009
    • member since: 06/13/05
    • level: 65
    • rank: Chosen One
    • posts: 1,430

    This is good news indeed!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of megamanzero22xx

    megamanzero22xx

    [3]May 19, 2009
    • member since: 12/11/04
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 233
    It's good that its coming back but the Friday slot doesn't make me feel good about it. Hopefully one of the other shows will tank and Law and Order can move into that slot instead.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of countrygirl5

    countrygirl5

    [4]May 19, 2009
    • member since: 03/24/08
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 24

    I'm definitely happy L&O will be coming back.... but I'm not thrilled about the timeslot. Whenever it's on, we'll watch. But didn't they try it on Friday nights a few years ago (at a later time, though) and it didn't do nearly as well?

    Has anyone seen anything about if this is an entire season commitment, or how many eps NBC ordered? I'm sort of assuming since it's on the schedule for both fall 2009 and in midseason, that they're going to do a complete season, but would like to know for sure. Thanks!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of megamanzero22xx

    megamanzero22xx

    [5]May 19, 2009
    • member since: 12/11/04
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 233
    countrygirl5 wrote:

    I'm definitely happy L&O will be coming back.... but I'm not thrilled about the timeslot. Whenever it's on, we'll watch. But didn't they try it on Friday nights a few years ago (at a later time, though) and it didn't do nearly as well?

    Has anyone seen anything about if this is an entire season commitment, or how many eps NBC ordered? I'm sort of assuming since it's on the schedule for both fall 2009 and in midseason, that they're going to do a complete season, but would like to know for sure. Thanks!

    The only site that I have seen that mention the season order was on TV Guide's website here (which mentions at least 16):

    TV Guide's News post on NBC's Fall Schedule

    Edited on 05/19/2009 3:57pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of thewhitewizard1

    thewhitewizard1

    [6]May 19, 2009
    • member since: 12/10/04
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 54

    i love that they're keeping it on but i would say i'm not happy that its moving to to fridaya and that svu is moving to wendsday i think they should keep it on wendsday and move svu to wendsday or cancel some show that wil bomb after one episode

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ArthurBranch

    ArthurBranch

    [7]May 19, 2009
    • member since: 05/19/08
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 163

    Good news: it's back:

    Bad news: NBC continues to screw up by moving L&O Franchise shows around. SVU to Wednesday. L&O to Fridays. Seriously.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of bluejayfusion

    bluejayfusion

    [8]May 21, 2009
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 262
    We should all blame Jay Leno. I am sure we'll all support it on Friday- but nothing can really thrive. Still I have hopes that one of NBCs terrible pilots will crash and burn- and Law and Order will be on Wednesday once again. NBC really doesn't appreciate what it has.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of rphjose

    rphjose

    [9]May 21, 2009
    • member since: 02/09/09
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 76
    countrygirl5 wrote:
    But didn't they try it on Friday nights a few years ago (at a later time, though) and it didn't do nearly as well?
    Yes, it was the season with detective Beauty Queen. Trial by Jury also aired on Friday night and failed.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Taylorama

    Taylorama

    [10]May 23, 2009
    • member since: 08/08/07
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 28

    If the other L&O shows that aired on Fridays bombed, then why would they air it on Friday night at the same time as one of my other fave shows Ghost Whisperer? I'll still watch it, though. And I just want to say that I like the earlier timeslot because I can't afford to stay up unitl 11 on Wednesdays when I have school the next day.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jem_snaps

    jem_snaps

    [11]Jun 4, 2009
    • member since: 08/17/08
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 149
    they should just leave the show on weds ... unless nbc would like to do me a huge favor and put L&O and SVU on the same nite. tues would be good.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of farscapefanuk

    farscapefanuk

    [12]Jun 8, 2009
    • member since: 03/05/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 1,483
    I'm hoping because its on at 8pm it at least has a chance to do well in the ratings. If it was on at 10 it would die like it almost did in season 17. That being said its gonna have some competition this year with Ghost Whisperer and I think Dollhouse. I'm thinking because its a Friday slot it doesn't need to pull very good ratings to be renewed. Similar or probably less than what it got this year will see it renewed for a 21st season. So it needs to get about 6 million an episode I think. Im not thrilled about this move. NBC shouldn't be screwing with L & O its one of the few good shows it has left. Its sad that they cant give a show which has been on air almost 20 years a decent timeslot, yet they will give a rubbish pilot that will likely bomb a good slot...great logic NBC.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TesserT

    TesserT

    [13]Jun 28, 2009
    • member since: 11/13/07
    • level: 76
    • rank: Bassomatic '76
    • posts: 6,156
    NBC Announces Fall 2009 Series Premiere Dates

    Fridays, beginning September 25, the venerable "Law & Order" (8-9 p.m. ET) returns for a record 20th season...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of zamescurran

    zamescurran

    [14]Jun 28, 2009
    • member since: 08/19/06
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 15
    The timespot is troublesome. Fridays killed Trial by Jury AND Conviction. And they were on Fridays at 10PM. They're putting L&O on at 8PM?!?! In the "Family Hour"?

    What's worse... The networks KNOW that this is a death spot. It's well established that the audience for a show like L&O go out on Friday nights --- That's why ABC run their "TGIF" kids shows on Fridays for years.

    Unfortunately, the only way for L&O to get it's Weds @ 10 spot back is if the Leno show fails -- and that's not going to happen. Talk shows like that are so cheap to make that one episode of L&O could probably pay for two or three months of Leno's show -- it will be profitably even if it had a fraction of L&O's ratings.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ArthurBranch

    ArthurBranch

    [15]Jun 29, 2009
    • member since: 05/19/08
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 163
    I think L&O could be moved back to another day if one of the other shows failed. The timeslot I wanted was leading into SVU on Wednesdays as a kin dof L&O night.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of writergirl06

    writergirl06

    [16]Jul 8, 2009
    • member since: 03/17/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 424
    Every time I see that a show has been moved to Friday night, I always tell my parents the show is marked for death x_x. But it IS Law and Order, so I guess we shall see how it goes .
    Edited on 07/08/2009 9:36am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TesserT

    TesserT

    [17]Jul 9, 2009
    • member since: 11/13/07
    • level: 76
    • rank: Bassomatic '76
    • posts: 6,156
    Actually Friday 9pm is the death slot. CBS's Ghost Whisperer which airs at 8pm does quite well when it comes to demo ratings. We'll just have to wait and see if L&O viewers are just as loyal - within the Nielsen families of course who count.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Wallyhorse

    Wallyhorse

    [18]Jul 10, 2009
    • member since: 07/14/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 418
    countrygirl5 wrote:

    I'm definitely happy L&O will be coming back.... but I'm not thrilled about the timeslot. Whenever it's on, we'll watch. But didn't they try it on Friday nights a few years ago (at a later time, though) and it didn't do nearly as well?

    Has anyone seen anything about if this is an entire season commitment, or how many eps NBC ordered? I'm sort of assuming since it's on the schedule for both fall 2009 and in midseason, that they're going to do a complete season, but would like to know for sure. Thanks!



    This is different from the 2006-'07 season:

    When NBC had "L & O" on Fridays at that time, it really was more of a "throw away," especially given its lead-in was a lame-duck show in "Las Vegas" that NBC basically was blocked from promoting much due to the NFL not allowing them to do so during Sunday Night Football (per the NFL's ban on mentioning anything with Vegas). This time, NBC actually has to program Friday nights due to Leno being on five nights a week (meaning in reality a net loss of only two hours of prime time programming since the last two years, Friday was a throw-away night for NBC), and in fact, "L & O" is being followed by "Southland," which was by far NBC's most promising returning series after its stint this spring. Also, the 8:00 PM ET slot actually helps "L & O," especially in New York where many people don't often go out that early, especially since many clubs don't even open until 10:00 PM.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Wallyhorse

    Wallyhorse

    [19]Jul 10, 2009
    • member since: 07/14/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 418
    rphjose wrote:
    countrygirl5 wrote:
    But didn't they try it on Friday nights a few years ago (at a later time, though) and it didn't do nearly as well?
    Yes, it was the season with detective Beauty Queen. Trial by Jury also aired on Friday night and failed.


    Actually, "TBJ" did well enough ratings-wise to warrant a renewal (ranking 35th for the 2004-'05 season), especially given that after the first two episodes (which were also Jerry Orbach's final appearences of any kind filmed before his death), "TBJ" had to go opposite college basketball conference tournaments (resulting in numerous pre-emptions by NBC affiliates that Friday night), two Friday nights of the NCAA Tournament, and then the distraction of Pope John Paul II being near death on the Friday after that (his passing away on Saturday) followed on the following Friday by people distracted by the late Pope's funeral. By the time people re-focused on "TBJ," it was over. and nowhere near enough of the key demographic watched. NBC admitted it cancelled "TBJ" because the age of the average viewer was 54 (with 18-49 ratings lower than many WB Network shows), way too old for ad buyers who at the time were unhealthly obsessed with 18-49, something that really showed a couple of weeks after "TBJ" was cancelled when legendary New York Oldies station WCBS-FM (101.1) was flipped to the JACK format (although that in part happened because it came at the time of CBS's Radio and TV divisions being spun off from Viacom into a separate company), something that created a massive outrage in New York (and was corrected two years later when CBS-FM went back to being an oldies station after the person responsible for the flip was basically forced out). "Convivtion's" problems were that it was losing too many viewers in the second half of the episodes or it likely would have been renewed for a second season.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ArthurBranch

    ArthurBranch

    [20]Jul 19, 2009
    • member since: 05/19/08
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 163
    Wallyhorse wrote:
    rphjose wrote:
    countrygirl5 wrote:
    But didn't they try it on Friday nights a few years ago (at a later time, though) and it didn't do nearly as well?
    Yes, it was the season with detective Beauty Queen. Trial by Jury also aired on Friday night and failed.


    Actually, "TBJ" did well enough ratings-wise to warrant a renewal (ranking 35th for the 2004-'05 season), especially given that after the first two episodes (which were also Jerry Orbach's final appearences of any kind filmed before his death), "TBJ" had to go opposite college basketball conference tournaments (resulting in numerous pre-emptions by NBC affiliates that Friday night), two Friday nights of the NCAA Tournament, and then the distraction of Pope John Paul II being near death on the Friday after that (his passing away on Saturday) followed on the following Friday by people distracted by the late Pope's funeral. By the time people re-focused on "TBJ," it was over. and nowhere near enough of the key demographic watched. NBC admitted it cancelled "TBJ" because the age of the average viewer was 54 (with 18-49 ratings lower than many WB Network shows), way too old for ad buyers who at the time were unhealthly obsessed with 18-49, something that really showed a couple of weeks after "TBJ" was cancelled when legendary New York Oldies station WCBS-FM (101.1) was flipped to the JACK format (although that in part happened because it came at the time of CBS's Radio and TV divisions being spun off from Viacom into a separate company), something that created a massive outrage in New York (and was corrected two years later when CBS-FM went back to being an oldies station after the person responsible for the flip was basically forced out). "Convivtion's" problems were that it was losing too many viewers in the second half of the episodes or it likely would have been renewed for a second season.


    Great info. I wish TNT would have been more aggressive in asking to pick up either show. Conviction kind of reminds me of Raising the Bar, anyway.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.