Law & Order Forums

NBC (ended 2010)

TNT 'Not Interested' in Saving "L&O"

dad1153

[1]May 25, 2010
    • level: 11

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/05/tnt-arrests-law-order-rumors.html

...Turner Broadcasting executives said in a statement Tuesday that "Law & Order" is not in their future.

"We are not in current talks, and we are not interested in a Season 21," the statement said.

Though Turner may not be interested in resurrecting the drama, officials familiar with the situation said the company, which holds rerun rights to the series, must approve any deals involving the future of "Law & Order."

So it looks like TNT is out of the "L&O" sweepstakes but they have a say on future deals because they still have rights to the repeats. What other networkis out there that could save "L&O"?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pgsuperfan

[2]May 27, 2010
    • level: 25

I was hoping TNT would be interested

Wallyhorse

[3]May 28, 2010
    • level: 7
    I'm wondering if later on something happens there. The sets won't be torn down immediatedly because there is supposed to be a two-hour movie in the works to conclude the series.

Apparently, from what I have read since, TNT's deal was much more restrictive than anyone realized. The deal, done in 1998 (in a completely different business environment) may have turned out to be an albtross that made it impossible for a 21st season to happen. NBC being unable to "repurpose" episodes of the mothership is now probably why the series was unable to continue beyond this season.

That said, I do think the way to go now would be to the big screen. It would remove a lot of restrictions you have on TV and would also allow more easily for former cast members (most notably Chris Noth and Jesse L. Martin and from "CI" Vincent D'Onofrio and Kathryn Erbe) to return, especially those who can help carry a big-screen version that probably would be relatively inexpensive to make and probably turn a profit without much difficulty.

Angelwomyn

[4]Jun 3, 2010
    • level: 65

This still deals with the cancellation of Law and Order, let's discuss it in the sticky thread on that topic.