Law & Order

Human Flesh Search Engine

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Oct 30, 2009 on NBC

• A little disappointing...

Spoilers Ahead:

I was somewhat let down by this episode. It seemed really promising in the commercials- that someone was going after the people listed on a blog. If it had literally been that... and the blogger didn't even realize someone was carrying out vigilante justice based on his web rants... that sounds pretty solid. Very mysterious- and isn't that kind of frightening? And the big twist could have been that the blogger eventually realized what was happening and purposely put someone on his blog to be killed. I could see Cutter arguing conspiracy, or at least reckless endangerment, and the defense attorney pleading his client's ignorance. I could keep going... because there is a lot of potential in that story line.

Instead, we unfortunately experienced the strange lady with the delusions of people on cell phones cavorting with the devil and a web community which has so much time on their hands they apparently enjoy enabling murderers.

Some neat revelations about Det. Bernard... unfortunately, at what price? The bad man put him up on the magical website and suddenly he's public enemy number one. Internet culture doesn't work quite like that- it just seemed as if logic didn't follow- just like Cutter shouldn't reasonably expect any judge to allow him to charge everyone who posted something nasty on a blog with manslaughter!

Love my L&O, so I expect a little better.
  • Nothing happened.

Well, up until the revelation that Detective Kevin Bernard has a child, nothing happened in this episode. You got the sense of "been there, done that" a generic plot involving a crooked internet millionaire, just jacked up in voltage to involve him plotting to have people killed. Considering the fact that I am a huge fan of guest star Rob Corddry this was also disappointing. Lately Law and Order seems to be bringing in all these comedians for guest spots (like Jim Gaffigan recently) but they're trying to have them as serious people, which simply put, does not work with this show.
  • Continues in the tradition of thought-provoking drama

"Human Flesh Search Engine" is a provocative look at the dangers of the "information superhighway" as the investigation into a murder reveals that a website may be responsible for encouraging a deranged woman to commit the crime. The investigation by Detectives Lupo (Jeremy Sisto) and Bernard (Anthony Anderson) lead to the latter being "targeted" by the website, revealing a "blemish" out of his past that he preferred remained private.

The installment also further explores Lt. Van Buren's (S. Epatha Merkerson) cancer. Ernie Hudson plays her seldom-seen husband.

This is a very good episode, featuring the usual great acting from the principal stars and the guests.