Law & Order

Immortal

Aired Monday 10:00 PM May 17, 2010 on NBC

• With three episodes remaining, they delivered with 'Immortal.'

Very well-written episode had no shortage of twists and turns. Being unfamiliar with the 'ripped-from-the headlines' inspiration for the story, I was at a loss for where the case was going. L&O has always been good at keeping the audience guessing, and I was deeply enjoying the suspense. Having missed the episode, I was forced to watch it on my laptop- which I placed in front of the TV in order to capture the feeling of watching a premiere... yes, I know that's sad / weird, but the upcoming cancelation of my favorite show has completely wrecked me- at least, Monk had a full season to say goodbye- however, I will save my venting for my review of the final episode. Back to business: The motive was something we could really care about- really, what an injustice- and for me, it ranked up there with other unforgettable cases, namely, the insurance company that benefitted off of holocaust victims. I like that they used the Lieutenant's story line without an obligatory at home scene with Ernie Hudson. Cutter thoughtlessly exploiting a friend in order to win a case, was not out of character at all- He did it with Connie, McCoy did it with Dr. Olivet- I'll admit it was a bit of a rehash, but I saw it as a way of drawing attention to the similarities between Cutter and McCoy- their tactics, personalities, and drive to win at any cost. I really wish there were another season to look forward to- there is so much unresolved sexual tension left between Cutter and Rubirosa; and one killer oedipal relationship between Cutter and McCoy... these characters need a proper send-off.