Law & Order

Lost Boys

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Nov 19, 2008 on NBC

7.8
  • Polygamy Vs Gay Marriage

I am against marriage to a minor but if the polygamists are all adults I have nothing against it much like gay marriage. It is hypocrisy for the liberal writers and actors to show a moral outrage.
  • NOT about the Mormon church.

This episode was NOT about the Mormon church. It was based on the "Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" and its leader Warren Jeffs. Jeffs is currently serving 10-life for various charges including sexual conduct with minors and incest. The REAL Mormon church has denounced him many times and often has mentioned their dislike of him trying to show any association with them.

That being said, I love how this show isn't afraid to tackle topics like this. What these young girls go through is terrible and TV can bring it to light sometimes better than print media can. It even lightly touched on the fact that many boys are put out of the compound because there aren't enough "wives" for everyone.
  • Not much to work with

They did the best they could with what they had so far as evidence was concered. Did the girl change her mind at the end because she wanted to or was she "approached" by another member of True Way to change her mind or else? They left that open ended. The episode was easy enough to follow considering there was not much going on. They almost seemed side tracked into hanging something on the leader that they forgot there was a murder in there somewhere. But I guess they didn't want the story to be too close to the actual story that we all know and have heard about.
  • A heartbreaking episode.

7.2
    I am just going to say this right away. I do not mean to offend anybody but I cannot comprehend how anybody could possibly justify polygamy, especially under the circumstances Michelle from this episode endured (and they are were not so farfetched from reality either).

That being said, this episode did not truly get exciting until the final 12 minutes or so when the case entered trial. The entire beginning with the runaway Mormans (or Lost Boys) was really boring. The scene with Kevin Bernard confronting Luke about his fear of African Americans was intense and demonstrated how well the show handles racial and religious issues like that (and polygamy). So by that logic it was a good episode but it just could have been written much better.