Law & Order

Misbegotten

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Jan 09, 2008 on NBC

• Loved the theme, disappointed by the execution

I guess the writers are still trying to establish some more partner relations (namely Green/Lupo and McCoy/Cutter), which has made Season 18 a bit different than the previous ones, but I feel like I'm missing so much of the story -- and a lot of courtroom scenes.

This episode's plot had great potential. The bomb attack leading due to an attempted hit against a scientist pushing the boundaries? Sure, it might seem a few years late (like when the stem cell research debate was really raging), but the idea of the gay gene" is definitely a great plot device. However, I felt like this episode ended up being less about this good idea and more about a detective chase. If this episode aired a few years ago with Jack McCoy, you know there would've been a lot of ADA chats and a really dramatic cross-x in the courtroom. But this episode was filtered down to 80% detective work, 10% good idea, and 10% dramatic family tension (when the son admits that he's gay).

I really like L&O for being able to provide the action and the philosophy, but I felt like this episode hardly developed the latter.
WGNAMER