Law & Order

Reality Bites

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Oct 16, 2009 on NBC

• Reality (TV) Bites--Amen to that!

That this episode exposed the detriments of reality television certainly helped me to like it, and that it featured one of my favorite comedians in a dramatic role certainly didn't hurt matters either. Jim Gaffigan turns in a strong performance as the reality show father turned killer. I appreciate the writers' choice to make this script play off of the Jon and Kate debacle but to twist it in a new context. By making the victims a group of handicapped children and their kindly adoptive mother, this sad issue feels even more salient to the viewer than it did with the Gosselins. I also liked that the fight between the reality show parents is about the show itself and not their own inability to keep it in their pants. Again, the issue feels more important that way.

I applaud Law and Order for tackling a timely issue in this episode that is NOT a political one as much as a social one. While I really like the cast in the last few seasons and I'm very glad the show is still going strong, I do get a little weary of the overly politicized subject matter that has been cropping up more and more these days.
WGNA