Lawman (1958)

A Friend of the Family

Aired Sunday 8:30 PM Jan 14, 1962 on ABC

• After Dan and Johnny foil a bank robbery, Johnny recognizes one of the crooks as "Uncle Joe." Joe Henny was a friend of Johnny's father and helped raise him. During the transport, Joe escapes, and its up to Johnny to bring him back.

It's rare that we get to see Dan and Johnny go at it, but when they do look out. Dan was upset with Johnny for letting Joe get away. Johnny denies purposely letting him get away. Then, Dan suggests that maybe it was subconsciously. It was a great character study for Johnny, because he had to choose between his duty as a lawman, and his loyalty to a longtime family friend. Where this episode got a little confusing was that back during season one we met another of Johnny's "uncles," Uncle Jess, who supposedly raised him. Did this Uncle Joe help Jess? Or did they try to recycle a story, and hope no one would catch on? I wish this one could have been a one hour episode, because I would have loved to have seen Dan's reaction when Johnny returned and told him that Joe was dead.