Lawman (1958)

Fast Trip to Cheyenne

Aired Sunday 8:30 PM Jun 19, 1960 on ABC

• A drunk man wakes Lily up early in the morning to reveal that a man about to be hanged is innocent of a murder. Dan sends Johnny to stop the hanging, but Johnny gets shot. Dan races to the hanging, but the real criminal is trying to stop him.

Wow, this was a great episode. I tend to like these episodes where they get everybody involved rather than having it just focus on one of the main characters for the duration of the show. I like to think of Dan and Johnny as the Batman and Robin of the Old West. The story here was about a man scheduled to be hanged. A drunk man stumbles into the birdcage and tells Lily and Timmo that Saunders is innocent of killing the Velasquez girl. After a two episode absence, I was glad to see Lily back. She was a very good addition to this show. Anyway, Dan sends Johnny to tell Mrs. Saunders the good news, while he wakes up the telegraph operator to wire the city of Cheyenne to stop hanging. When Johnny and Mrs. Saunders return, Dan tells them the wire is down, and sends Johnny to Cheyenne. Johnny gets shot along the way by the real criminal. Johnny getting shot really added to the intensity of the episode. John Russell must have been a pretty strong guy that he was able to pick Peter Brown up and carry him over the shoulder like that. Now Dan and Mrs. Saunders race to Cheyenne to stop the hanging. They stop to water the horses, and get ambushed. The only on this was the writers let the cat out of the bag too early. When the gunman wouldn't shoot at her, I figured right away she was in on it. It didn't take Dan long to figure it out either. Mr. Saunders summed it up at the end when he said he needed a drink. I imagine that would be heartbreaking for anyone to find out your wife and another framed you for murder. This was a great episode to end season two.