Lawman (1958)

Mountain Man

Aired Sunday 8:30 PM Mar 25, 1962 on ABC

• After returning from a trip, Lily finds a mountain man named Lex Buckman in the Birdcage. Lex takes a liking to her, and wants to get married. To get him off her back, Lily him that she and Dan are engaged. Lex promises to get rid of Dan.

This was a very good episode, but I thought it could have been better. This is another of the episodes where being only a half hour instead of whole hour holds the series back. Had this been a full hour, I would have probably given it a ten. I liked the idea of Dan and Lily being engaged. Dan's line at the end about, "Well, Lily, you've still got me," was very funny. I think it would have been funnier if word were to have leaked out, and Dan and Lily have different ones coming up to them and saying, "Its about time!" The comedy then shifted to drama when Lex wanted to shoot Dan so he can have Lily to himself. The gunshot knocking over the lamp and starting a fire in the marshal's office was a nice touch. I also liked the concern Johnny and Lily had for Dan that they didn't want him going out to face that big bruiser alone. Dan was also good at trying to protect them. You know for three that don't have families, they sure know how to act like one.