Lawman (1958)

Return of Owny O'Reilly

Aired Sunday 8:30 PM Oct 16, 1960 on ABC

• Owny O'Reilly is fishing when he catches the body of a wanted fugitive. He brings Dna and Johnny out to the site. Dan sends Johnny away with the body, and to collect the reward for Owny. Johnny asks Dan to let Owny fill in for him as deputy.

This episode was so funny, I was in tears from laughing so hard. The guy playing Owny has great comedic timing, and give John Russell for playing the straight man, and also getting in some good one-liners of his own. I guess when you shoot 35-40 episodes a year like they did back then, you need some episodes like this one so that it is not just all serious all the time. My favorite of the one-liners was Dan telling Johnny that having Owny for a deputy was the closest he's ever come to being killed. When you have a character like Owny, you know the episode is going to be either really funny or really stupid. Luckily, for the fans of the series, he was very funny. I kind of wondered if he inspired Barney Fife on the Andy Griffith show, or if it was the other way around. It was that good.