Lawman (1958)

The Bride

Aired Sunday 8:30 PM Apr 01, 1962 on ABC

• Con artists Frank and Melanie have set their sights on Ollie Earnshaw to scam him out of his money. The scheme is that Melanie gets rich men to propose, Frank takes their money, and they move on to the next town. Dan gets wise and wants to stop them.

I'm kind of surprised by the low scores. I actually thought this was a pretty good episode. I always like seeing L.Q. Jones, who I remember as Smitty during the first three episodes of Cheyenne. Here, he plays Ollie, a rare likeable rich guy, who is very generous with his money. He's also a close friend of Dan's as evidenced by him calling him by his first name rather than "Marshal," or "Mr. Troop." Though it's hard to tell from the black and white, the lady that played Melanie looked she was pretty hot back in the day. The guy that played Frank was a perfect slimeball. I like the twist of her actually falling for him and wanting out of the scheme rather than just playing Ollie for a sucker only to have Dan catch them in the end. Johnny and Lily were more or less in the background for this episode.