Lawman (1958)

The Cold One

Aired Sunday 8:30 PM Nov 12, 1961 on ABC

• After hearing that her outlaw husband, King Harris, has escaped from prison, Barbara Harris flees to her mother's home in Laramie. Dan and Johnny know that King will be coming after her so they try and round up a posse, but find very few takers.

This was a pretty good episode. Unfortunately, when you do 40 episodes a year like they did back then, some ideas are bound to repeat themselves, and they've done many variations on this type of story. The bonus is the subplot about Barbara and her mother not being very well respected so alot of the men in town don't help Dan and Johnny protect her from King. Of course, some of that was probably more because they were chickens. Dan gave a very inspired speech about his job and why he cannot choose who he can and can't protect. I also loved how Lily threw in the line about whether or not she should remind him to be careful. Nobody spoil it for me, because I don't know how the series ends, but I do hope they finally kiss at some point. The build has been great. Today's shows could learn a lot by going back and watching how they did it back then. The gun fight was awesome with Johnny leading the way. I was wondering where Dan was, and it turned out he was waiting in the shadows at Barbara's place to get the drop on King. That was cool.