Lawman (1958)

The Four

Aired Sunday 8:30 PM Oct 01, 1961 on ABC

• Herm Forrester and three other men arrive in Laramie looking for a murderer. They tell Dan they are going to kill him. Dan tells him that if the killer is in Laramie, he wants to try and arrest him first. He deputizes the men and the search is on.

This was another really solid episode. Jack Elam, coming of his stint as Toothy Thompson on Sugarfoot, plays a good guy again here. He usually plays a bad guy, and when the episode starts, you are kind of lead into believing he might be. However, when he finally explains to Dan what's going on, then we realize he's not. Although, Evan McCord, who plays the killer, Lee Darrough, is listed in the opening credits with John Russell and Peggie Castle, he doesn't actually make his first appearance until about 15-16 minutes into the episode. This one of those episodes where being only a half hour hinders them, because they had a good story that could have been great if they had the full hour like other westerns. The only thing that really bugged me was the scene where Lee sneaks up on Lily and Jake at the Birdcage. I don't understand why he didn't kill them if he was such a dangerous man. Unless he was doing that just to taunt the fellas that were looking for him. Also no Johnny cost them some points with me. I don't get why wasn't in this episode either.