Lawman (1958)

The Locket

Aired Sunday 8:30 PM Jan 07, 1962 on ABC

7.4
  • When a stage coach arrives with no driver, and the only passenger unconscious, Dan and Johnny have to find out what happened. The passenger is Marsha, a former employee of Lily's. A man claiming to be her husband shows up, and waits for her to awaken.

This was another one of those solid, but not really standout episodes. It features a guest appearance by Robert Colbert, who would later go on to become Brent Maverick. If he would have shown as much personality on Maverick as he did here, maybe his stint on that show would have laster longer than two episodes. Colbert plays a crook named Breen, who poses as the husband of Lily's unconscious friend Marsha. He first tries to convince Dan, Johnny, and Lily, that he's the loving husband, desperately wanting to beg for her forgiveness. Lily later finds out that he's a fraud. I like their use of the old gag with Marsha opening her eyes when Breen's back is turned, and then closing them just before he turns back to her. Then we had Lily trying to slip the locket to Johnny in her handkerchief. When Johnny handed it back to her, I thought he had just screwed, but it turned out he had realized what was in the handkerchief after all. I also loved Johnny leaping off the balcony and tackling Breen while he was trying to kidnap Lily, and then Dan shooting the other bad guy after getting his shoulder grazed by another bullet. Great action packed stuff.