Lawman (1958)

The Long Gun

Aired Sunday 8:30 PM Mar 04, 1962 on ABC

• Marshal Ben Wyatt rides into Laramie with the body of one of the Bodeens. He tells Dan and Johnny that the other two will be along shortly. However, instead of meeting them face to face, Wyatt plans to shoot them from a window. Dan wants to know why.

I've seen John Dehner on other TV shows, and he usually plays a comedy character. This time, he plays a serious role here, and does an outstanding job. I read where he was the radio voice of Paladin (from Have Gun-Will Travel), and didn't see it then, but I do see it now after watching this episode. Dehner plays Marshal Ben Wyatt, who is supposed to be a legendary lawman. Dan, Lily, and Johnny had all heard stories about him. Dan even mentions that Wyatt was one of the reasons he become a lawman. Then Wyatt begins acting suspiciously. Instead of facing the other Bodeens, he wants to shoot at them from the window. Back in the Old West, I guess it was part of their code of honor that they face off rather than ambush each other. Lily came up with idea that maybe he was scared. She looks to have been right. Dan's exchange with Wyatt, where he is trying to get him to come down, was a classic. Throwing the shotgun out of the window was a great move. Wyatt finally came down, and realized he still had what takes after all. The smile he gave Dan at the end seems to indicate that Dan won his respect.