Lawman (1958)

The Old War Horse

Aired Sunday 8:30 PM Oct 09, 1960 on ABC

• Lily's former mentor Bess Harper arrives in Laramie to attend the funeral of her husband. Bess brings with her a private investigator, who is looking to take the money that was being set aside for a college. Lily gives Bess a last chance to perform.

This was one of the lighter episodes of the series that focused on Lily and her relationship with her former mentor. With this show being a half hour instead of a full hour, its hard to really get some things across. I would have probably given this a higher score if it were longer. I would have liked to have seen Lily work with Bess more to get her ready, and also Bess struggling with the decision a little more. Everything happened a little too fast. Don't get me wrong though, it told a good story of Bess and the scheming private investigator trying to take the money, Lily offering Bess a last chance to perform, and Bess deciding to donate the money to the school fund. Bess and Lily did a great job singing on the stage, and it was sweet of Lily to step back, and then out of the spotlight. Two of my favorite scenes were Johnny trying to keep the private investigator from getting in Lily's office. Then later when the private investigator tells Dan not to get involved with a show biz woman, because they can't get it out of their blood. Dan's giving Johnny a dirty look, and Johnny is trying his best to keep from laughing his head off. It was a very good episode.