Lawman (1958)

The Post

Aired Sunday 8:30 PM Nov 06, 1960 on ABC

• Dan and Johnny meet Rafe, a wanted fugitive in the Birdcage. Because of Rafe's size, it takes Dan, Johnny, and several of the patrons to subdue him. Dan takes Rafe back to Concordia against objections from Johnny and Lily because its 400 miles away.

You really get to see John Russell at his best here. Johnny and Lily are just in the opening scene, and then its Dan on his own for the rest of the episode. First, there was taking Rafe back to Concordia must not have been easy with a six foot seven inch, 230 pound prisoner, who is trying to fight him every step of the way. Then you finally get him to his destination, and find out the sheriff's a crook too. Johnny and Lily tried to talk himout of it, but Dan felt duty bound to return him. For only a $50 reward, and faced with a 400 mile trip, I'd have let him walk. The crooked sheriff has Dan arrested on a trumped up charge. Dan finally sees why Rafe didn't want to come back. The two struggle together to escape. Dan, of course, gets to shoot the sheriff. I wonder if that song "I Shot the Sheriff" was out yet when this aired, because that would have been cool to play in the background. I thought it was a nice touch of Dan making Rafe the acting marshall before heading home.