Lawman (1958)

The Stalker

Aired Sunday 8:30 PM Oct 29, 1961 on ABC

• Fur trapper Alreeka McClintoch arrives in Laramie after a successful hunt. He and Dan make plans to take a hunting trip together. While in the Birdcage, Alreeka kills one of the Schafer brothers. Lily tells Dan it was an accident. Now Dan has to find him.

This was another episode that was really solid, but did have anything that really stands out as excellent. Peter Whitney gets a rare turn as a basically good guy in this episode. Usually when he appears in a western, it is as a villain, because of his look. The scene where he kills Schafer was a bit of a stretch. I mean, come on, how weak does a guy's neck have to be that he can die just from falling over a pool table? It was even more preposterous that the older brother tried to claim murder, when he knew his younger brother had been ragging on Alreeka since the moment he got into town. I thought they did a good job of making Alreeka show remorse over Schafer's death, especially since he really didn't mean to kill him, he was just trying to get him to buzz off. The chase at times seem to drag on. I like that even though Dan was after him, Alreeka wouldn't kill him.