Lawman (1958)

The Vintage

Aired Sunday 8:30 PM Jan 21, 1962 on ABC

• A fight breaks out between Joe and Kulp at the Birdcage. The fight spills into the streets where they damage a passing wagon that belongs to the Lazarinos. The wagon contains the vine used for the grapes they make wine with. The younger one vows revenge.

Okay, I'm just going to say it. Wanting to kill somebody because he destroyed a grapevine is stupid. I can't believe they actually went a whole episode on this. It was clear that Kulp and Joe didn't mean to fall on the vines during their fight, but Antonio wants them to die. He even draws a gun and starts shooting at them after all the judge does is fine them. What the heck else could he do? It's not like it was a person they injured. Now I thought the actors did a good job, but the scripting was idiotic. The final scene where the older Lazarino was wanting to have a shootout with Kulp was actually pretty good. I liked that Lily and Jake were frantic and went searching all over town for Dan and Johnny to step in and stop the fight. I guessed they figured it like I did that it just stupid to kill someone over a plant. It makes me wonder if they got some tree hugging hippie to write this.