Lawman (1958)

The Youngest

Aired Sunday 8:30 PM Apr 22, 1962 on ABC

7.4
  • Dan catches Jim Martin Sr. cheating at a card game. Martin tries to shoot Dan in the back, but Jake warns him, and Dan shoots Martin. Ma Martin and her boys come looking for Dan. She wants her youngest to kill him, because he's the fastest with a gun.

This is largely a Johnny episode even though the plot has to do with Dan shooting Jim Martin Sr. John Russell only appears for a couple of minutes in the opening scene, and then in about the final minute of the closing scene. Peter Brown was such a great talent that I wonder if they ever considered spinning him off into his own series. It has been interesting to see him develop, because back during the first season, they would hardly let him do anything, and in the later seasons he was carrying entire episodes by himself. Though credit where credit is due, Ms. Lily did help too. I liked how they tried to convince Jim Jr. not to go after Dan, and to stand up to his mother who was an evil spiteful woman played by Olive Carey. Jim must have been a late arrival, because she looked more like his grandma than his mother. This one actually took on a personal touch for me, because my late grandmother was alot like Ma Martin personality wise. I like how they didn't have Johnny back down. The exchange with Ma was priceless, especially when it seemed like he was backing down, and then took off his hat and still told her to get out of town. Great stuff.