Lawman (1958)

Trojan Horse

Aired Sunday 8:30 PM Dec 31, 1961 on ABC

• Dan and Johnny are informed by government workers that a shipment of nitro glycerine is coming through Laramie, and they need to evacuate the town. Meanwhile, two hijackers steal the shipment, and plan to use the explosives to rob the Laramie Bank.

This was a very intense episode, but with the inclusion of nitro glycerine, it would almost have to be. We get the brief introduction and demonstration of just how powerful this new explosive can be. Dan and Johnny have to quickly get everyone temporarily out of town so no one can get blown to bits. We got quite a touching scene with Lily showing concern over Johnny this time instead of Dan. Since Peggie and Peter are only five years apart in age, I tend to view it more as big sisterly concern rather than motherly concern. Poor Johnny gets duped, and then caught again. He reminds me so much of Burt Ward's Robin character from the Batman series. Except Robin always kept getting gassed, while Johnny keeps getting clonked on the head with someone's gun. We then get the standoff with Dan and the crooks. Dan has to figure out a way to save Johnny, stop the crooks from leaving with the money, and keep himself in one piece. Luckily, this time, Johnny is able to save himself by talking the slow witted crook into letting him go. The lead crook winds up getting blown up, and Dan grimaces. Since it is the 60's they are not going to show it on TV. If it were today's television, we'd have probably seen guts everywhere.