LAX

NBC (ended 2005)

LAX Fan Reviews (14)

7.9
  • Heather Locklear and Blair Underwood do a fantastic job running LAX in this airport drama, always finding ways to disagree but still keep the airport in good running condition. The unique idea of setting the drama inside an airport easily keeps interest.

I personally think that LAX was one of the best dramas on television within the past few years. It wasn't one of 20 procedural dramas like CSI or one of the 10 new alien/supernatural based shows of the 2005-2006 season, it was its own thing. That could be why it was such a short-lived series - people like to see the same thing over and over again for some reason I'll never understand.

Heather Locklear is always a wonderful character wherever she end up. She was a strong lead in LAX as Harley Random. Her chemistry with Blair Underwood (Roger DeSouza), the co-director of LAX along with Harley, was wonderful. Their past sexual relationship in a way tainted their work relationship and Roger's relationship with his wife, but it also brought Roger and Harley closer together in a way. Through all their arguing and disagreeing, they cared for each other in a deeper way. They always found a solution to keep the airport running by the end of the episode. Their jobs weren't easy in the least, and they always let their emotions get involved in the high-intensity situations that ensued at LAX. Still they brought all this together to form something that was very intriguing and pleasing to watch.

Tony the Airline Passenger Coordinator had a fairly interesting subplot in the episodes, often working with distressed passengers, letting his emotions get in his way to come to their aid. The introduction of Caitlin as his assistant greatly increased the level of interest in his storylines. Again we have the cheesy element of a sexual relationship between the characters, which never happens in real life, but it was good drama. Their relationship was initially strained due to the fact that Caitlin's father owned the airport, but it developed nicely (well at least for awhile) and formed into an interesting and close relationship.

Moving on to Nick and Betty...I usually thought their subplots were quite irrelevant and not as interesting as the other storylines. Usually they involved Nick feeling bad for someone and trying to break the rules, then Betty gives him some advice and blah blah and then he still does something stupid anyway. Eventually his stupid actions became more stupid, ending up with him getting married to some asian lady though Betty strongly disapproved. I do think that their relationship FINALLY became worthwile by the end of the series and thoroughly enjoyed the end result. Overall not a horrible subplot. I liked how Nick was sensitive and Betty was protective and trying to help and how Nick took it the wrong way and how Betty got upset about it, but it just seemed a bit repetitive and dull.

That leaves Henry, who I really hated. His character was some LAPD officer who had a drinking problem and kept almost getting in trouble because of it. I guess this could have been an alright idea, but the execution was horrible. Henry just seemed lame, and his scenes were so boring I just hoped he'd get fired half of the time so I wouldn't have to watch his crap. But that didn't happen of course. I think his role in the show faded though as it went on...maybe someone noticed that he was boring.

Of course there were other recurring characters, and I'd have to say my favorites were Monique DeSouza and Eddie Carson. Monique loved Roger and no matter what he did, she still cared for him. She was a nice character. Eddie was goofy and sometimes annoying, but I liked his relationship with Harley. He liked her in a sexual way (of course), but she only liked him as a friend. She still embraced their friendly relationship and wasn't rude to him, and she liked spending time with him watching movies.

LAX was an overall interesting show with few holes in the plot, but for some reason not many people saw the excellence in the series, leading to it's premature demise. Thankfully the show's 13 original episodes all eventually aired (thanks NBC), and the last episode was quite like a series finale, leaving me more content than usual, but still wanting more drama between Harley and Roger and crazy mishaps at LAX.