Leave It to Beaver Forums

ABC (ended 1963)

If You Could Turn Back the Hands of Time...

millerem99

[1]Jul 5, 2007
    • level: 51

here's a question, esp. for all those of you who were actually watching Leave it to Beaver when it aired originally: If you could go back to living in the simpler times of the 1950s, would you? In other words, would you tradetoday's world, replete with all its evils yet also advanced in science and medicine, for one of 50 years ago with its moral climate and technology?

(I will post my own thoughts on this later...)

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wheelrchair

[2]Jul 6, 2007
    • level: 15
    I miss those innocent years.

tvking1

[3]Jul 23, 2007
    • level: 42

A tough question. I miss those times too, but, knowing what I already know, I would also miss the advanced technology. But then, that technology can sometimes be a hassle, like when your computer breaks down. It wasn't perfect, but in earlier times there seemed to be a clearer line between right and wrong.

The movie "Pleasantville" poked fun at B&W family sitcoms for ignoring sensitive topics. So what if they did? They ignored sex, but it isn't like people assumed it didn't exist in sitcomland. Viewers just didn't feel the need to see it on TV. Those shows also ignored religion, but that wasn't addressed in the movie.

millerem99

[4]Jul 23, 2007

It is tough to say. It's easy to look back on those days with nostalgia and take for granted modern convenience. However, if I could go back to a simpler time with more personal freedoms I would (I was born in the late '70s but I can't believe how coarse our culture has become since I was a kid, and how many basic freedoms have eroded).

As a woman, people might say the sexism was worse, but I don't think that's true if you look at modern TV and how women are portrayed and treated and how they have been greatly devalued. I also certainly agree that we live in an age in which the Truth has been blurred, and now most people don't even want to hear it.

I never saw Pleasantville but know the concept. I always liked the quote from L.M. Montgomery (author of Anne of Green Gables) that kind of hit on the theme of things existing but not getting mention: She said, "Pine woods are just as real as a pile of manure, and a darn sight prettier." In other words, just because murder or sodomy exists doesn't mean you have to focus on it.

Oh, yeah...and I wouldn't miss the Internet at all.

tvking1

[5]Jul 23, 2007

I think I would like to go back, but I don't know if it would be better to be cognizant of the fact that I did go back. There are a few things about today I would miss, but so many more I could do without. Nuclear war was a real concern then, but today we have terrorism, which, I think, is even worse, because it is so real. And, of course, like you said, the courseness of our culture, and the overall bad manners (not that people didn't have bad manners before, but it was much less tolerable). (Sometimes I wish I could go back in time for more personal reasons, to do things differently that might effect today and I would live the past over again, but that would disturb too many things, good and bad, that have happened since. Anyway, that's another subject.)

Life was not perfect then, far from it. They had racism and segregation, but there was also a strong sense that these things were wrong. (And, picking up on something I said in my last post, you didn't see people going to the bathroom in 50s TV, but it wasn't like you needed to. It was assumed.) The L.M. Montgomery quote makes a lot of sense. We didn't need to see sex and violence (the latter had its place in cop shows, though far less graphically, and left something to the imagination) to enjoy watching a program. We could do without these things today, but I fear that today we collectively have become too jaded and desensitized to turn back.

tvking1

[6]Aug 5, 2007

Continuing this thread, let me say that it's too bad we can't go back; we're stuck here in present reality, so let's take a little solace in a line from the Billy Joel song, Keeping The Faith:

The good old days weren't always good;

Tomorrow may be better than it seems.

WAVY10

[7]Sep 2, 2007
    • level: 8

MY THOUGHTS

What I would like: A less coarse culture

What I wouldn't like: The fact of segregation (I'm black)

tvking1

[8]Sep 2, 2007
    It is entirely possible to have a less coarse cullture, without segregation. Segregation was a mistake. We for the most part have learned from that mistake. I pray that someday in the not too distant future we will regard the coarseness of our present culture a mistake too.

WAVY10

[9]Sep 4, 2007
    • level: 8
    Exactly my point

tvking1

[10]Sep 5, 2007
    I pray daily for a cultural renaissance and I hope that all who may come across this forum join me.

millerem99

[11]Sep 8, 2007
    It breaks my heart what has happened to the legacy of this country in terms of the culture war. I have so often wished that I had had the opportunity to grow up a few decades earlier, before "mainstream" got so lawless and wretched. It wasn't meant to be, though. As it relates to television, unfortunately this medium has been so abused that it has now become a primary tool to proliferate this cultural warfare on the family and on the soul.

I also reject the popular worldly notion to solve racial and other issues with "tolerance." We were never commanded to tolerate one another, but to love one another. That is what unites.