Leave It to Beaver Forums

ABC (ended 1963)

In a charmed life, the Beav sees a changed world

fgoodwin

[1]Jan 15, 2008
    • level: 2

In a charmed life, the Beav sees a changed world

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2008/jan/14/charmed-life-beav-sees-changed-world/
    http://tinyurl.com/2bd4gl

By Jerry Fink
    Mon, Jan 14, 2008 (2 a.m.)

Jerry Mathers, star of "Leave It to Beaver," was one of the many actors who attended a benefit for the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children last week at Mandalay Bay.

Mathers, who played Beaver Cleaver from 1957 to 1963, says the world has changed dramatically since the innocent days when his show was on the air.

"I think about 'Leave It to Beaver' and what people were watching in the '50s and you see what they're watching now and the video games they're playing," Mathers says. "I'm not for censorship, but people don't realize what kids are watching today. In the '50s there might be one TV for the whole house. Now there's one in every room and parents have no idea what kids are watching."

[excerpted]

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

millerem99

[2]Jan 30, 2008
    • level: 51
    Thanks for posting that...I don't know much about Jerry Mathers, but he sounds like a decent guy just from that excerpt.

cherrytree34

[3]Feb 1, 2008
    • level: 13
    Well, he's right. A few years ago, I visited a friend whose younger brother was 11 at the time. He spent our whole visit playing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. I watched him for a little while, and I was appalled by the language and the degree of violence in the game. I love Grand Theft Auto, but San Andreas is too bad even for me. I couldn't believe that his parents had bought him the game.

wheelrchair

[4]Apr 12, 2008
    • level: 15
    It's a shame how the world has changed.

millerem99

[5]Apr 24, 2008
    • level: 51

Last night I watched the episode "Beaver and Kenneth" on TVLand, and there was a surprisingly touching scene in which June suspects Beaver is stealing and questions him about whether he's done something wrong. She reminds him that Someone is watching him all the time, and he surmises that it is God whom she means. She also adds that she would hate for Beaver to do anything that would Him, and Beaver also expresses his desire not to hurt Him. The mere mention of God is strange enough in "hate-religion Hollywood," but the relational reference of June suggesting Beaver would grieve Him is almost uncanny in its frank portrayal and honesty about the nature of God and our ability to hurt Him with sin.

tvking1

[6]May 3, 2008
    • level: 42
    That was a rare moment in classic TV, which was wholesome by today's standards, but seldom made religious references except in the vaguest of terms, like going to church, or heaven and "that other place". This episode in the same scene also made a rare reference to "the Russians", a reference to the Cold War, which was raging at the time.