Leave It to Beaver Forums

ABC (ended 1963)

Larry

kopeckee

[21]Jan 10, 2007
    • level: 20
    missingky wrote:
    . Doesn't anyone find it odd that the kids very rarely spent a full day at home? I know they were town kids but the town and city kids I knew way back when were not permitted to run the streets even in the 1950s!
    Growing up we ran around town just like the Beaver .Today you can't  let you kids walk down the street.. People watch out for other Peoples kids and if you screwed up you know a phone call would be made to your house ... Back in the good old days of when people sat on the front porch's...My town had  about 7000 people and everybody really knew everyone. Some one from the other  person families went to school with you dad ,mother,uncle ,aunt etc...  i use to think my dad was telling me a tall tale when he said he knew everyone in town.. But he really did... This was the late 50s early 60s.. 
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kopeckee

[22]Jan 10, 2007
    • level: 20
    crazyrhythm wrote:
    kopeckee wrote:
    I wonder why Larry left the show?
    The Cleaver family moved.
    they just moved across town into a bigger house... Wally still had all his friends . Ward still worked with Fred Rutherford.  Whitey was still around.     Mrs Rayburn was still at the school ..Larry was gone one day never to appear again... I could see if Larry moved but i have watched every show many times thanks to tv land and i don't recall if it was every mention ... Larry and Beaver were some team. I  like Whitey and Larry best of all the kids that were the beavers friends...  They always got into some trouble and once it happen Larry would said he had to go home.... 

TVGord

[23]Jan 30, 2007
    • level: 9

I wonder why Larry left the show?

Here's something I found on a website, which should answer your question.  :-)

Robert Rusty Stevens

In 1963, Rusty and his family moved to Philadelphia. He and the lady he was to marry worked for an advertising company. He wrote copy and she designed art. He later became an insurance salesman and they live in New Jersey.

Rusty didn't tell his own wife he was a child star, until a man came to their door asking about it. Jerry Mathers told the details of this story at a book signing, about a detective search that was done to find Rusty Stevens who played Larry. The detective finally located the house where he lived. He went up to the front door inquiring about the child star. His wife responded by telling the individual that he had the wrong house. She went back in and told Rusty the story. Rusty said to his wife that the detective was correct in his assumption. Flabbergasted, his wife asked, Well, why didn't you ever tell me about this? Rusty told her, it never came up in the conversation.

crazyrhythm

[24]Feb 5, 2007
    • level: 52
    Cool story. Thanks.

Mad_Buck

[25]Feb 19, 2007
    • level: 79

chelimina wrote:
    crazyrhythm wrote:
    kopeckee wrote:
    I wonder why Larry left the show?
    The Cleaver family moved.
    True, but Wally kept his same friends....Eddie Haskell was on throughout the series.

I think it was Larry's family that moved.  His mother was always talking about his father having to take a business trip to Cincinnati.  That's where they probably moved.  Incidentally, Mrs. Mondello happened to be the identical twin sister of Aunt Harriet Cooper on Batman.

PeterRock

[26]Feb 21, 2007
    • level: 3

wheelrchair wrote:
    I know this is just a show, Why did Larry always talk Beaver into doing things that would get him in trouble.

I know what you mean. Beaver is always getting into trouble because he follows the suggestions of his pals. It's almost as though he has no backbone? But then again, it brings me (and perhaps all of us?) back to those childhood days when we were very malleable to the influence of our friends without thinking through the consequences of our actions. I think that is part of the appeal of this show: because we see ourselves as Beaver back then, misled, often blindly following the poor advice of best friends, and, of course, that brings a chuckle. 

gdanko619

[27]Aug 6, 2007
    • level: 2
    I was always annoyed by Larry and smiled when I heared the Beav punched him in the gut!