Legend of the Seeker Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

Thank God -> Canceled

Vavires

[1]May 16, 2010
    • level: 7

Hello,

I don't think im the only one, but im happy this is canceled.

Seriously this must be Sam Raimi's biggest mistake ever. Its a disgrace to state in the begining credits "based upon". There were some episodes that weren't so far off but the last batch has gotten from bad to worse.

I know that you can't or won't take everything as it is from a book. But if you make something like this u want to attract fans of the books, and u want to please em to show something, make words into vision. But the things they have striped/changed, From things like making Darken Rahl his brother, the fact Darken Rahl is alive, The fact Richard lost his magic, or better said never came around to use it. The sword of truth being nothing but a normal toy sword, instead of what it is and stands for. Cara, the only thing that has been constant for richard made evil again, even if it was for just 2 episodes. Making a mockery of the sisters of light/dark, i think they have killed more sisters of the dark now that there were in the whole freaking palace, its like canonfodder. Kahlan's powers are so "over"used. and so easely used, She takes using it so lightly in the show. Leaving out important stuff like Nathan Rahl and the Mud peopel. ow yea and the biggest part, the fact that when DR died, his connection (wich is prolly not present in the show) should have passed over to Richard and all Ppl of D'hara should know Richard is thei Ruler now.

oh you know, if it were only a few of these things people could live with it, fans could still enjoy it, Some of the non main story related episodes were indeed good, i think The thing that happened with Cara was the last drop for me. She was the only character that i saw the Cara in from the books, both in aditude and resemblence.

Sorry Terry, that legend of the seeker couldn't do your great books honor.

To the people only been watching the show without reading the books, do yourself a favor and after the show is finished go and read the books and step into the world of Richard and Kahlan as it is.

Regards,

Michael.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

luis_stern

[3]May 16, 2010

Yes please dont come here and make a new forum saying how thankful u are that the show is cancelled there is another where u could have done that. Just so is clear maybe u are one of those persons who wants things exactly the same but they are not. There are some fans who have read the books and seeing the show and like bothbecause they do understand that they are both different in their ways. I my self am in the middle of reading Stone of Tears i have already read Wizards first rule and i like both because i understand how they both are their own thing. The show had great potential and itwasn't Sam Raimi's greatest mistake he actually did a hell of a job with the show it was just the stupid network executives, and according to me the fact that it was syndicated. It deserved and actual network and is proper time slot i know u just want to speak ur mind but just be careful what u say.

Vavires

[4]May 17, 2010

As far as i know i have the right to state my opinion. Wich i did, what you guys do with it is your business. When the books were transformed into a series my wife finally made the jump and tried fantasy books. shes at book 7 now. and even she agrees with me completly.

I agree completly with the fact that you can't expect a show to follow a book 100% but the major things are always in place.

I as a fan of the books, of Richard and Kahlan, of Zed and Cara, of Rachel....where the hell is rachel anyway, one of the best characters in the book. I have the right to speak my mind, and im pretty sure more like me are out there, and this is the only place to talk about it.

And about the fact that terry loves lots, the guy is just happy for the commercial, he wont say it sucks because thats almost the same as saying his work sucks.

And for the people to say this is the best show on tv, watch other stuff, even if i didnt read the books, i would still find the story line not great but just "okay". I know my fantasy. Maybe HBO fire and ice will be able to do what lots failed to do.

Yaspaa

[6]May 17, 2010
    • level: 78
    It is based on the Book, it isn't an exact rendition. Why does it have to be exactly the same? A documentary it ain't

luis_stern

[8]May 17, 2010

Look we know everyone has the right to express their opinion there is no need to be hostile but is just the way that u said it, im sure not everynody is a fan of how some things got change but that is how both tv and show are different. Your opinion is respected we are here to discuss things in a friendly way,but i mean u probably kept watching the show for a reason didnt you? so there must be something that u actually like about maybe not the way the show didnt keep up with the books, but maybe you liked the actors the cinematogrophy (although i know half the show was shot in studio) You see it wasnt just that it was based on the book series that made it a good show it was also the small things i mention above and book series lovers can also focus on that.

Edited on 05/17/2010 12:57pm

muggle421

[9]May 17, 2010
    • level: 13
    ahaha Victoria why am i not surprised. But i agree if you don't like the show don't come on the forums. Shows/ movies are never the same as the books. I have not read the books so i cant compare but the show it self is very good in all aspects. Maybe it's not your cup of tea but it is ours so don't insult.

Tinkerbellv101

[10]May 17, 2010
    • level: 8
    Ok everybody has the right to their opinion. but i'm sorry if you don't like the show leave it alone. I hate when someone gets on a forum and starts bashing a show! Legend of the Seeker isn't the best show to every see television but it's a unqune and entertaining show. You have the right to your opinion just like i do when i say bashing a chancelling show on it's fan forum is rude. And because it's rude i say Go.

jc11o4

[11]May 17, 2010
    • level: 2
    Opinion is fine but what's the point when you make a topic just to incite rage and spew hate?

dwhitnee

[12]May 18, 2010
    • level: 6

Holy cow guys, chill! Everyone has their opinion. Perhaps he shouldn't have titled his comment "Thank god it's cancelled", but he has some good points.

Sisters of the Dark: what a complete waste. They are kick-ass in the books, but really are no more than cannon fodder in the show. I wish they'd done more with the powers and the Sisters instead of just giving away Richard's Han (the most powerful ever as I recall). Though it did seem like Sister Nicci was set up to return in later episodes, we'll never know.

Richard not becoming the next Lord Rahl: I wish he had, that would have been interesting, but I see how the network wouldn't want to break up the ensemble the way the books did. Maybe that was season 3. At least they could have let Richard have the Mord Sith, even if just for a few episodes.

The whole Darken Rahl thing: I guess they made him too interesting to kill off for good. He's so purely evil in the books there's no way he could live, but they softened him up a little too much in the show. Brother? Really?

Kahlan and Richard: another lost opportunity. I know they wanted to keep the sexual tension going as long as possible, but the ending of the first book was so great and they didn't use it at all.

That said, I am glad the TV series was different than the books. For one thing they'd be rated NC-17 and Goodkind has too much of a rape fetish...so I think they did a reasonable job of prime-timing it. The books were *way* too dark to make it as-is on network TV.

Anyway, glad it had two seasons, and hopefully Bridget Regan will be in something soon.

Merlin4421

[13]May 18, 2010

Tinkerbellv101 wrote:
    How dare you!!!! If you dont like the show GTFO the forum! Btw Terry Goofkind loves LOTS and because of it the books are becoming more known! Listen to me and listen good! A TV SHOW IS NEVER LOYAL TO THE BOOKS! Its the same world in a new way! And if you dont like it dont watch it but dont insult it for the people who do! "Thank God it's chancled" well you can just go! Thank God your not dead!!! Because i'm a seeker fan and i should kill you! but im not that sicko... and you lucky. Legend of the Seeker and The Sword of Truth book series are two different things! if you dont like them dont watch! Don't watch, Don't insult and Be nice Michael! Regards, Victoria... I got horns! don't be poken at them!

Ofcourse Terry Goodkind would say he likes them the series has his name on it. And no they coudl have followed the story line alot closer TV shows arent alwasy completely different like this. They went so far off from the books it shouldtn even say "based on" at the beggining..... I think the series may have been more popular if they stuck closer to the actual storyline.

With that being said I still liked the series by itself but Ihad to stop comparing it tothe books and stop getting angry at how horribly off they were from the books. I think they chose the characters well (except for richard I didn't picture him that way at all too short and wimpy looking) Kahlan, cara and zed are spot on IMO in looks.

Edited on 05/18/2010 10:03am

Vavires

[14]May 18, 2010
    dwhitnee wrote:

Holy cow guys, chill! Everyone has their opinion. Perhaps he shouldn't have titled his comment "Thank god it's cancelled", but he has some good points.

Sisters of the Dark: what a complete waste. They are kick-ass in the books, but really are no more than cannon fodder in the show. I wish they'd done more with the powers and the Sisters instead of just giving away Richard's Han (the most powerful ever as I recall). Though it did seem like Sister Nicci was set up to return in later episodes, we'll never know.

Richard not becoming the next Lord Rahl: I wish he had, that would have been interesting, but I see how the network wouldn't want to break up the ensemble the way the books did. Maybe that was season 3. At least they could have let Richard have the Mord Sith, even if just for a few episodes.

The whole Darken Rahl thing: I guess they made him too interesting to kill off for good. He's so purely evil in the books there's no way he could live, but they softened him up a little too much in the show. Brother? Really?

Kahlan and Richard: another lost opportunity. I know they wanted to keep the sexual tension going as long as possible, but the ending of the first book was so great and they didn't use it at all.

That said, I am glad the TV series was different than the books. For one thing they'd be rated NC-17 and Goodkind has too much of a rape fetish...so I think they did a reasonable job of prime-timing it. The books were *way* too dark to make it as-is on network TV.

Anyway, glad it had two seasons, and hopefully Bridget Regan will be in something soon.

Thanks for your support, maybe i shouldnt have named the thread as i did...

This isn't a fan forum per se, this is a tv site where there discussions, good or bad. Hence i won't go to www.lotsfans.com to complain...

And to answer some1s question, I watch a lot of shows, from Drama like House or Brothers & Sisters to Sci fi like Stargate and Caprica, V to Comedy like tbbt and Dramedy like Chuck or reality like Idol and survivor. I won't stop watching a show right away, thats maybe something to many do and a reason why a lot of shows get canceled before they reach there full potential (If people hang into Flash Forward more it wouldnt have sunk so deep, it had a weak midseason, but begin and end are great.) So yea i still watch lots, because i want to know how it ends, True blood i had every episode of the first season saying, bwa not bad but not great, lets give it another episode, till that the ending came of the season and i missed it.

Besides to some of you, i dont mind that you defend something you like, but u can still be polite about it... specially the psycho thing ...

Tinkerbellv101

[15]May 18, 2010
    • level: 8
    Well I'm sorry that i was rude and hurt your feeling but i'm a women. I lash out it's normal for the most part. I just can't stand the fact that one of my favorite Tv shows (not books) is being chanceled. Then i got people bashing it! No thank you. It's not personal i can just get alittle over passionate. Don't bash my show and i wont bash you. I'll retract the claws but that doesn't mean there not there along with my horns! Over passionate and i take pride.

Writerpatrick

[16]May 19, 2010
    • level: 13

Everyone knows that TV isn't made for people who read books.

Since Raimi had to make changes to the show to get it on TV, he simply did a re-imagining of the story as he did with Hercules and other stories. Expecting a TV show or movie to be just like the book is a mistake, although it's probably better for the two to differ radically than slightly. When there's slight differences it's easy to confuse the two and those differences can be much more annoying, but when there's a radical difference one can take it as a different story.

And would the Bond movies have been as successful if they actually stuck with the books?

Frenz9

[17]May 21, 2010
    • level: 10
    Not having read the books, i cannot make judgments based on the apparent changes they have made. But i can say that i have been thoroughly enjoying the series, possibly the only thing i don't agree with is Cara turning back to the dark side.. after they spent so long turning her character around.

QuinlanVos

[19]May 22, 2010
    • level: 10

I have to agree and disagree. I did like the show, but some of the things they changed from the books really bugged me. I hated that DR was Richard's brother and not his father. I hated that they dropped how Richard figured out for him and Kaylan to be together. I just started viewing it as a show on it's own, but could never really get over those few things and every time they made reference I would cringe a little. Over all it was a well done show, but I think these core changes that didn't need to be changed are what ultimately caused the die hard book fans to stop watching.

sramv9

[20]May 22, 2010
    • level: 22
    This topic is not pleasant to see when one is feeling sad about the show ending.