Legion of Super Heroes

Cry Wolf

Aired Saturday 10:30 AM Oct 06, 2007 on The CW

• Timber Wolf is accused of murder.

This is an interesting episode that takes us into not only the psyches of Timber Wolf and his father, but of the other Legion members. Timber Wolf is tried and convicted of murder by his team mates after he attacks his father in a berserker rage. Only Phantom Girl and Chameleon Boy believe Timber Wolf's assertions of innocence. The rest of the team, led by Cosmic Boy, have always assumed the worst about Timber Wolf and roundly condemn him. Before their sentence can be imposed, Timber Wolf escapes with the not-so-subtle help of Phantom Girl and Chameleon Boy. And the chase is on, with Timber Wolf and his two allies racing to prove his innocence before Cosmic Boy's group can haul him into custody again. There are some finely-staged battles, a mystery (albeit one where the identity of the "murderer" comes as no surprise) and the quality animation you expect from this production team. Best of all, however, is the reaction of the characters when they are forced to confront themselves.
  • Second Storyline of the season... Must be a Timber Wolf Ep!

Okay they seem to be following the rule of "first storyline of the season after the supe's introduction must be a Timber Wolf ep.". But never mind. I find Timber Wolf, though has a great storyline in the cartoon is still a bit flat outside of his storyline in the area of actual character. I must say also Timber Wolf's animal side looked better in season 1 then this episode, he kept looking like he was beaten with the ol' ugly stick from time to time. The voice of TW this episode... Nah, didn't like it. It was better in the previous two eps, not so deep, dark and muffled. A lot of the other major characters were not around either, so the legion was flat in general. And man, has Cosmic boy gone from "charismic diva" to "prize jerk" in the two years between season 1 and 2. I could not bring myself to like him. He was like this in the comics from time to time, but man was he just plain cold here. And Kel-El has had a sharpe change in attitude since the last episode. I presume some time has passed since last episode because two of the injured legonaires (Colossal Boy and Cosmic Boy) are out of hospital and Kell-El is now a Legionaire (presumly). I guess the comics based on the show will fill in the gap.