Legion of Super Heroes

Dark Victory (2)

Aired Saturday 10:30 AM Apr 05, 2008 on The CW

• Brainiac 5 continues his takeover of the universe.

What a way to end this too-brief series. Action and adventure wrapped up in an allegory of religious fanaticism. The robotic Brainiac 5 is perhaps my favorite Legion character, with his yearning to fit in. For some time, the series has been hinting at his darker side. That story arc concludes in thrilling fashion in this two-part episode. Brainiac 5's rogue programming takes over, leading him, like the Borg collective from "Star Trek," on a mission to perfect the universe. He intends to achieve his goal by digitizing entire planets and their populations. This, of course, sets up an epic battle with his former team mates. As he consumes more lifeforms, adding them to himself, Brainiac 5 becomes a massive, godlike being. Yet, what is most chilling about him here is his unyielding, methodical, "I-know-I'm-right-about-this" manner. The triumph in this episode is not so much the Legion's as it is Brainiac 5's. It's nice to see him get what he really wants at the end.