Legion of Super Heroes Forums

The CW (ended 2008)

Official Discussion Thread - In Your Dreams (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 101
    Please direct all discussion of the 3/22/08 episode "In Your dreams" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Mac-Ale

[2]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 60
    This episode missed the best things about Dream Girl, her love triangle that involved Star Boy, the fact that all the male Legionaires go gaga for her (the second meaning of "dream" as in dreamy), and her mysterious personality (or "Miss Terious").

BrodieBanks

[3]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 5
    I woke up to Lightning Lad's lighting blast at 9:58. But, I caught a glimpse of the ultra cute Dream Girl. I'd go gaga for her if I was on the Legion. Hehe

Mac-Ale

[4]Mar 22, 2008
    The hilarious thing is that she was first admitted because all the men voted her in and all of the women voted no. She was also the person who changed Lightning Lass to Light Lass.

maya14belle

[5]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 8
    BrodieBanks wrote:
    I woke up to Lightning Lad's lighting blast at 9:58. But, I caught a glimpse of the ultra cute Dream Girl. I'd go gaga for her if I was on the Legion. Hehe

I thought Lightning Lad was a jerk toward Dream Girl. Poor her. She seemed to be such a sweet Legionare. I thought the others, particularly Timber Wolf and Star Boy, were taking Dream Girl for granted. Not taking Brainy's lecture seriously because they had Dream Girl, that was so out of character for the two. It was touching in the end when Lightning Lad rescued Dream Girl and tried to apologize for his behavior. It was a good episode, but a bit too fast-paced in the end.

ImKagetsu

[6]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 12
    No doubt DreamGirl getting knocked around in that cute outfit was worth seeing this episode. I did feel Lightning Lad was being overly harsh, but it made his rescue all the cuter for it. I found her dream of being arrested a bit far fetched when even Timberwolf wouldn't listen. But her kicking Brainys butt with an exo-suit was absolute gold.

jwgrlrrajn

[7]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 23
    Stupid question...

How did Brainy know to send holograms to the bridge to trick the Dark Circle? Wouldn't he have to know what Dream Girl was dreaming?

JasperGein17121

[8]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 7
    I really like Dream Girl's design. She looks really cool. I feel bad for her when Lighting Lad was being a jerk to her.

maya14belle

[9]Mar 22, 2008
    JasperGein17121 wrote:
    I really like Dream Girl's design. She looks really cool. I feel bad for her when Lighting Lad was being a jerk to her.

Everybody should.

Gislef

[10]Mar 23, 2008
    • level: 101
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    Stupid question...

How did Brainy know to send holograms to the bridge to trick the Dark Circle? Wouldn't he have to know what Dream Girl was dreaming?

She dreamed whatever it was he decided on to do. Once he decided to use the bridge as a lure, and set it up to appear that the Legion were destroyed, that was what she had to see happen.

Being a 12th-level intellect and all, he also anticipated that they wouldn't watch the recording past the point that they saw the Legionnaires "die." Good thing, too, but I suppose that's why he gets paid the big bucks as the resident geeeenius..
    Edited on 03/23/2008 1:17am
    Edited 2 total times.

Emfrbl

[11]Mar 23, 2008
    • level: 6
    Did anyone notice that Brainy suddenly sounds robotic in his robot form? Last time we heard that was back in "Fear Factory", then I dismissed that as a fault with sound distortion. Sometimes the tech guys working on sound distortion forget to turn it off when they need to, I had seen just that happen once in the series Medabots.

Now I wonder if its Brainy acting more like a robot. Dream Girl's never been my fav. Legionnaire. I'll admit that much. Her powers are usually nothing more then a plot device. This one was pretty well handled for a Dream Girl related story. But as a Legion ep. it felt so... Generic.

snakeguru

[12]Mar 23, 2008
    • level: 3

I liked this episode for the action and character moments. I felt for Dream Girl but at the same time i also imagined how LL's parents had felt all those years ago and also undoubtedly him and Mekt as well.

Sure she meant no harm all those years ago 'bending the truth' really but the damage was still done. She may be a sweet person but even if she was the nicest person in the whole galaxy some things just takes a longer time to forgive and not all people forgive easily.

While seeing both sides of this 'grudge' I was still glad LL finally let go and forgave her, trusted her for once, rescued her, apologised (or at least started to say it before they had to rush off but at least she knew what he was going to say) and then helped her disarm those explosives. Brainiac 5 was right, thay do make a good team when they finally had put the old things aside that is.

maya14belle

[13]Mar 23, 2008
    Mac-Ale wrote:
    This episode missed the best things about Dream Girl, her love triangle that involved Star Boy, the fact that all the male Legionaires go gaga for her (the second meaning of "dream" as in dreamy), and her mysterious personality (or "Miss Terious").

Are you saying that she had a relationship with Star Boy?

Emfrbl

[14]Mar 23, 2008
    • level: 6
    They did in the comics...

Mac-Ale

[15]Mar 23, 2008
    Since this episode was pretty standard, it might have been fun to introduce elements from the original comics. Similar to this TV show, she did show up to warn of the death of Legionaires, but only replica dummies were actually killed.

But what gave her character is that she spoke little but the men went nuts over her and the women were all crabby about it.

Later, Star Boy was forced to kill her former boyfriend in self defense, and it got him booted from the Legion.

Star Boy and Dream Girl later are re-admitted using the fake identities "Sir Prize" and "Miss Terious" (that name was used in a different way in this program).

Might have made good stuff for any cartoon "shippers"...

maya14belle

[16]Mar 23, 2008
    maya14belle wrote:
    BrodieBanks wrote:

I thought Lightning Lad was a jerk toward Dream Girl. Poor her. She seemed to be such a sweet Legionare. I thought the others, particularly Timber Wolf and Star Boy, were taking Dream Girl for granted. Not taking Brainy's lecture seriously because they had Dream Girl, that was so out of character for the two. It was touching in the end when Lightning Lad rescued Dream Girl and tried to apologize for his behavior. It was a good episode, but a bit too fast-paced in the end.

Not only were Star Boy and Timber out of character, but they were jerks. Poor Brainy. He must have felt offended and annoyed when those two were becoming overconfident and easy-going since they were not paying attention to his lecture. Brainy may be a robot or an android, but he still has feelings and emotions. I also thought those two were treating him like he is a machine.

dOMITUPSYK

[17]Mar 23, 2008
    • level: 10

I thought she was ugly, but I'm straight, so my opinion of her looks doesn't really count. I didn't feel sorry for her, but it's already been decided a long time ago that Lightning Lad is a jerk, and I think he gets it from Cosmic Boy- in S1, he was alright, but in S2, CB became more prominent, LL hung out with him more, and now LL is a big fat jerk. Coincidence? I think not.

I did feel sorry for teh Brainy, though- no one pays that much attention to him, and there they were blatantly playing paper football instead of listening. Although, why did it take him so long to notice? I noticed it 10 minutes before the scene was shown. :/ (An expression, I don't want to hear it.) Seemed in character to me- 2 19 year olds (I guess, does anyone really know?) choosing to piddlefart around instead of paying attention to their instructor. XD I thought it was a nice change of pace from the usual "Grr! Bad guys! Let's get 'em!" Heh. "Yawn. Bad guys. She knows."

"That's angry wolf growl-"
    "For end of the line, blah blah blah. Wasn't funny then, ain't funny now."

Aww, teh Brainish. *hug*
    Brainy: *choking* Can't *ack!* breath *gasp* help!

Summary: Me likey. ^_^

Fekul_the_Baby

[18]Mar 23, 2008
    • level: 15
    Brainy's plan to fool the Circle was actually fairly clever...even a bit devious. But if Dream Girl herself has misinterpreted her own dreams on occassion, wouldn't this mean she has a very dangerous weakness? Her visions are at best subjective. Plus she admits she will lie to spare someone's feelings. I mean, if she saw someone was about to die of, like, horrible butt cancer in six months, would she be obligated to tell them right out, or should she be evasive? Although Lightning Lad was right to be cautious of using her as a precog crutch, he's never exactly been your paragon of sensitivity--this somewhat hurt his credibility with the others because they just missed it as his old sour grapes.

More comic trivia: since her power is a "non-active" one, Dream Girl learned to fight hand-to-hand from Karate Kid, and got pretty good at it. The writers should keep that in mind--have Karate Kid teach a ladies' class, or something. I can just picture a sweaty Saturn Girl working the heavy bag, and Duo Damsel doing syncronized swimming....

This Dream Girl can control her sleep cycles, though the comic version suffered from narcolepsy. The poor dear was prone to spontaneously drop off, sometimes right in the middle of strategy meetings. I guess they left that out because they didn't want her to seem silly. Also, I wonder how much hate mail KWB got for a narcoleptic Evil Dr. Phibes clone in Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get A Clue?

They still have paper football in the 31st century?

It's only a pity that they couldn't give her a handle that doesn't make her sound like a cheesy pin-up girl...she's a cute kid and all, but did she ever think of going with something like "Somnus" or "Morphia"?

jwgrlrrajn

[19]Mar 24, 2008
    • level: 23
    Well, if you haven't noticed, most of the legion members do not have very good names. Ex. Triplicate Girl, Duo Damsel, Saturn Girl, Matter Eater Lad, Bouncing Boy, Chameleon Boy (Chameleon would have been fine by itself).

See what I mean?

Avearia

[20]Mar 24, 2008
    • level: 14
    Fekul_the_Baby wrote:
    They still have paper football in the 31st century?
    Dude, that's exactly what *I* was thinking! Maybe it became a national pasttime or something...
    Fekul_the_Baby wrote:
    It's only a pity that they couldn't give her a handle that doesn't make her sound like a cheesy pin-up girl...she's a cute kid and all, but did she ever think of going with something like "Somnus" or "Morphia"?
    Yeah, I don't think that Legionaires have very good naming-prowess. I mean, most of their names end with "Boy" or "Girl". That's why I was impressed by "Lighting Lad" and "Duo Damsel" and "Timber Wolf"--the only ones with even SLIGHTLY origional names. I do like your idea of "Morphia"... Maybe we should try to rename all the Legionarres or something. That would be fun...
    Edited on 03/24/2008 1:13pm