Legion of Super Heroes Forums

The CW (ended 2008)

Why I'm ALMOST glad this show is being cancelled.

SharanMcQuack

[1]Mar 31, 2008
    • level: 11

Don't get me wrong, I'll miss it.

But...

They push Brainy WAY too much. Does anybody like that avacado colored TOASTER the best, other than the writers?

"Yes" is an acceptable answer. Just because I never cared for that over-educated, over-grown rock'em sock'e robot....

They push Bouncing Boy too much. And I liked him at first. At this point, I'm ready to melt him down into silly putty. That often happens to me when they "push" a fictional character too much.

Edited on 04/01/2008 8:17am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Emfrbl

[2]Mar 31, 2008
    • level: 6
    Bouncing Boy's hardly made an appearance in the second half of the season... O.o' Barely in the first half of this season either. And you can't have the Legion without a B5 of SOME sort, Legion Abstract said it best - "He is a problem solver and a source of problems". B5 often gets a lot of exposure in the Legion as a whole, he has a lot of mental issues. He doesn't get touched on often, but when they do their usually tasty stories.

snakeguru

[3]Mar 31, 2008
    • level: 3

I think Brainiac 5 is a vital part of the team and as such he does get featured a lot, unsurprisingly. I'm very biased as he is one of my favourite characters and i'd rather have more of him then say for instance more of the original Superman. Why? Because to me he is more interesting then the man of steel and a few other ppl on the show (like Cos) anyday of the week. Come to think of it even Kel is more interesting then the original Supes.

Edited on 03/31/2008 1:42pm
    Edited 2 total times.

dOMITUPSYK

[4]Mar 31, 2008
    • level: 10
    SharanMcQuack wrote:

Does anybody like that avacado colored toaster the best, other than the writers? "Yes" is an acceptable answer.

Yes.

LegionFan1964

[5]Mar 31, 2008
    • level: 3

I like the flesh and blood Brainy of the comics just fine. He's never been my favorite, but I've never hated him, either. He's just middle of the road, sort of interesting, somewhere in the middle of my likes and dislikes.

This robot guy -- meh. I can understand why they did it -- little kids like robots and Transformers. I just wish they'd done the series, um, seriously, like with the Legion that was shown in the Justic League Unlimited series.

jmizzle505

[6]Mar 31, 2008
    • level: 23
    I too felt the Legion presented in JLU was superior to this series, but I felt like there was a lack of identification with the Legion as a whole. It should have focused on less Legionnaires, developing quality Legionnaires rather than the quantity of them all.

This series was good while it lasted. Hopefully this won't be the end of the Legion in animation though.

TeenTitans_LOSH

[7]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 4
    Brainy has a lot of history, and, as said, mental issues. He makes a dramatic story. And the more dramatic, the more viewers. That's what they want. And yes, I love the avocado-colored toaster. But I've never liked Bouncing Boy. I mean, I've never detested him as much as just simply not caring about him. It's like they wanted to bring in his character, but were unsure about how to incorporate him into the story. His presence seems forced.

Avearia

[8]Jul 6, 2008
    • level: 14

Personally, I like Brainiac 5. He's not exactly your average superhero, I guess--we've all just seen enough of the over-powerful muscle-based brute strength superheroes, I think. Brainy just provides a change of pace for the typical Legionnaire. But I fail to understand your comment on Bouncing Boy.

I do understand what you mean about 'over exposure'... especially if you don't like the character initially, which you don't. The writers CAN kill a character by making him a writer's favorite. But, in a huge group like the Legion, sometimes the over exposure is just because the character is unique in some way, or has a different personality than the others that stands out and needs to be developed.

It is strange that while you comment on Brainy's over exposure, though, you don't mention Lightning Lad's? He was a major focus in the first season and he didn't exactly disappear in the second, if you know what I mean. Do you have any thoughts on Lightning Lad in that respect? Otherwise, your fixation on Brainy might be just because you hate the character (understandable) and not because he's overused. . .

TeenTitans_LOSH

[9]Jul 6, 2008
    • level: 4
    I didn't really notice Lighting Lad being pushed too much. But they always seem to put the super-popular characters or writers' favorites in every episode and leave the more minor, unimportant characters in the background. Either Superman or Kell-El and Lightning Lad, as far as my records go, have always been in an episode--at least in season two. If I am wrong, please correct me.

igotbupkis

[10]Jul 7, 2008
    • level: 28
    > This robot guy -- meh. I can understand why they did it -- little kids like robots and Transformers.

More critically, and this is particularly relevant for a series aimed at kids, the classic Brainy is a much more passive character. He does not get into fights, generally (beyond the purely defensive element of his force field). The "toaster" version, as you put it, is far more active and "combat oriented". So I can see it as a necessary sop (like the increased action element as a whole) to the target audience.

That they still kept it intelligent enough to be interesting to adults (hey, I'm 50 -- I was a fan in the Jim Shooter days, no less) says a lot. It's more than a lot of modern dreck they push as kids TV.

I'm disappointed it has been cancelled. It literally is the only "kid's show" I paid any attention to (I've seen some spongebob and others due to friends' kids, but I avoid kids' shows like the plague otherwise, and would never actually go out of my way to watch any of those other shows -- The LSH always was one of my favs, so I looked into them when they got on the air)

igotbupkis

[11]Jul 7, 2008
    • level: 28
    TeenTitans_LOSH wrote:
    I didn't really notice Lighting Lad being pushed too much. But they always seem to put the super-popular characters or writers' favorites in every episode and leave the more minor, unimportant characters in the background. Either Superman or Kell-El and Lightning Lad, as far as my records go, have always been in an episode--at least in season two. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Of course they put Supes in -- He's one of the most well known characters in comics. Some kid is flipping through channels and sees some random superhero group he doesn't know, he might keep flipping, but, hey, if he sees Supes, he might stop and pay attention, and take the time to get into it.

Comics don't have to do this "as much" -- though they have only 12-odd issues a year, they don't cost as much, therefore can subsist on a smaller reliable audience.

One common answer to "Why do they... xxx" is "xxx is perceived as a draw, or a source of money". If you don't know the answer to the question, that's probably the reason.

I think that happens a lot more than "writers' favorites", etc., since the show's story editors, directors, and producers have the ability to spread that part out, and do.

When they get a mandate from the studios -- "Hey, do more stories with xxx in them -- our numbers show s/he's got a lot of appeal with the audience" that's likely to be listened to.

Lightning Lad, in the show, is a hothead, and his power is pretty "cool", so he's going to appeal a lot to young kids who can identify with him both ways.

===================================

And hey -- Who would not like to be able to throw lightning bolts at will? I'm sure all of us have had a boss or two who deserved some electroshock therapy (it would also include the yahoo who wrote this text editor with the notion that THEY knew how my paragraph blocking should work better than *I* do)
    Edited on 07/07/2008 9:51pm
    Edited 3 total times.

crzza

[12]Jul 8, 2008
    • level: 49
    I liked the show, I wish it wasn't cancelled.

swtt

[13]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 18
    The only thing that I was kind of upset about was a little different outfits for the 2nd season and I disliked of how much the future superman was over exposured.

Avearia

[14]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 14
    swtt wrote:
    The only thing that I was kind of upset about was a little different outfits for the 2nd season and I disliked of how much the future superman was over exposured.
    Really? I LIKED the new outfits, actually... I almost wish Saturn Girl and Bouncing Boy had gotten "Makeovers". it HAD been two years between shows, after all, makes sense they'd change clothing styles...

SupermanNYC

[15]Sep 16, 2008
    • level: 45
    Avearia wrote:
    swtt wrote:
    Really? I LIKED the new outfits, actually... I almost wish Saturn Girl and Bouncing Boy had gotten "Makeovers". it HAD been two years between shows, after all, makes sense they'd change clothing styles...
    I agree with you there.