Legion of Super Heroes

The Man From the Edge of Tomorrow (2)

Aired Saturday 10:30 AM Sep 29, 2007 on The CW

• A super-duper bad guy has escaped from the future to the um, closer future. Yes, and on his tail are the legionaries and Superman X. They obtain Superman the original from the past and then start attempting to kick butt.

For some reason, I'd never heard of this show until today. Considering that I'm a semi-big fan of superhero shows, that's not really a good sign. But the show isn't awful, surprisingly. Or at least, it's not as awful as you might think from watching the beginning to the second season. Putting aside Brainiac's supercrush on Superman, the show actually becomes somewhat interesting. It has a huge cast for starters, of which only half are annoying. Superman X, in particular, is definitely a cool character, possibly because, as Superman the original mentions, he's a lot like Batman. And we all love Batman, even though his kids WB show is beyond dumb. Other characters, such as Lightening Lad and Triplicate Girl are fun, even if they are cliche. Triplicate's big issue with losing one of her triplicates is a bit baffling at first, because, um, hello? It's not like she's dead. And she doesn't appear to have lost anything substantial from the attack, though her fighting skills are a bit hampered. Bouncing Boy comes through for her, involving some very cute dialogue. Most interesting of all to me was Imperiex, who seemed to be a mixture of Darkseid and the original Brainiac. He makes a good villain, if a bit of a flat one. After all, neither the original Brainiac nor Darkseid were ever known for having great character depth. All in all, I might watch this show if I'm bored, but otherwise there's probably better things for me to watch. Like JLU for the fortieth time.