A The Returned Community
Monday 9:00 PM on Canal+

The Returned S01E01: "Camille"

This year for my Halloween costume I wore one of those garbage bags that looks like a Jack o'lantern, and stuffed it with the remainder of my clean clothing (tank tops, dress socks, etc.). I spent the whole night inside my three-story townhouse doing a Ouija board all alone while some teenagers egged my garage door for an hour straight. As I listened to the rhythmic pelting, I realized the hooligans were morse-coding extremely hurtful remarks. To make matters worse, the only spirit I was able to summon just asked me really specific questions about the "Affordable Care Act," which I was not equipped to answer, and the horehound candy I made shattered all four of my wisdom teeth. It was a real Bummer-O-Ween, that is, until I watched the first episode of Sundance Channel’s "The Returned," an excellent supernatural import from France that began its eight-episode run this very evening.  

An adaptation of the 2004 film They Came Back (or Les Revenants for the French of tongue), this Fabrice Gobert-helmed pilot concerned itself with doing just two things, and doing them thoroughly: establishing how life in this town continued after the deaths of members of its community, and allowing the show's characters plenty of time to accept the central phenomenon. Where I come from, people DON’T return from beyond the grave, and this show does a convincing job of illustrating the rich stewpot of emotions that would occur if a dead person inexplicably came back into your life.  

That Jerome (Frederic Pierrot) and his estranged wife Claire (Anne Consigny) were all, "This can’t be happening, but gosh I did miss our little baby girl smoke-smoke-smoke," was a very human response. Who hasn’t imagined a dead loved one just kind of doing normal things like fixing a ham sammie in the kitchen, and then been completely devastated by the split-second apparition in our mind’s eye? You’re happy for the same memories that mess with your heart. That’s the "terrifying and amazing" sensation The Returned lives in. 

Story-wise there’s a lot to explore here. From Camille’s (Yara Pilartz) point of view, she’s rightly defensive about her family’s wariness. It’s not her fault she died in a bus crash that went on to ruin the lives of both her parents and her "close" sibling Lena (a magnificent Jenna Thiam). From her family’s point of view, they’re learning how to mitigate the painful associations they have with her memory. Her death understandably made a lasting impression on Jerome, Claire, and Lena, but where are they supposed to put their feelings now that she’s undone the source of hurt? For Lena especially—as we learned in the kind of reveal this show seems quite confident in pulling off—Camille’s return bears extra importance, as the now-aged identical twin feels renewed guilt over missing the deadly bus trip in order to lose her virginity to Frederic, a known crush of her sister's. Drama much?    

Hinting at further angles to make us all curl up in the shower and sob, the wild-eyed Simon (Pierre Perrier) wondered why Adele (Clotilde Hesme) rejected him and moved on to the tune of a new family herself, while the pie-eyed Victor (Swann Nambotin) acted as the wordless, living question mark that is this supernatural happening (while, in a clever dovetail, also acting as the physical reason the bus went over the cliff in the first place). Every other character had an association with the deceased, and thus dramatically responded to that, while Victor's puppy-dog relationship with Julie (Celine Sallette) was a reminder of all the straight-up initial mystery that remained in the background. WHY IS THIS ALL HAPPENING? Also, as no story is complete without a villain, a mysterious serial killer seems to have returned with the normies. Not to mention what’s going on with the decreasing lake level. Wow, all this in just the first hour? Sign me up!    

It helps that this world feels like a horror movie, but without any jump scares. Rain is pouring, there are slow-tracking shots down dimly lit hallways, a wordless child appears from the shadows—but there’s largely no threat to cap off the suspense. That’s not the game being played here. If anything, the "monster" lurking in the closet waiting to attack these characters is the concept of unexplainable emotional pain. Mogwai’s excellent soundtrack builds tension not to cause anguish, but to enhance the feeling of "What is happening and why?" Gobert lets us exist in that moment of suspense until we accept the feeling of extended mystery as a tonal norm, just as life itself can be one giant, unsolvable riddle. 

So with about as strong a pilot as any television show can pull off, The Returned looks to be the kind of program you hope for as a viewer: one that asks big questions while entertaining you in a familiar, yet groundbreaking sort of way. 

Thanks for reading, bye!       

DES QUESTIONS:

– Who’s your favorite character?

– What was your favorite scene?

– What’s going on between Jerome and Lucy?

– Where did Mr. Costa’s wife go?

– What’s going on with the water level?

– Did you like the debut of The Returned?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/19/2015

Season 2 : Episode 8

59 Comments
Comments (59)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Reading subtitles bites, but this is well worth it! Best supernatural series I've seen in a long time. I'm a horror buff and I love it! Now when does the second season air in the us.?
Flag
Wow this is stunning and hopefully opening the door for more high-quality foreign language shows to gain more exposure in the US.
Flag
I actually only started to watch the show because i knew that mogwai made the soundtrack. :D

Here the quote from wiki:

The soundtrack to the series was written by Scottish post-rock band Mogwai. The band's guitarist John Cummings said in an interview with The Quietus "They wanted us to start writing it before they started filming it. They described it as inspiring them, they wanted some kind of musical mood in place before they started, so we were working a bit dry at first ... we'd (only) seen the first couple of scripts in English"
Flag
Well the music is so great because the soundtrack is from one of the most amazing bands ever, Mogwai.
Flag
There was so much about this show that just doesn't make sense. If a little lost child showed up at your door, would you really take him in, let him stay at your house overnight and not contact the police? That doesn't seem like what a rational person would do.

Another example. Your dead child shows up in your kitchen making a sandwich. What's the first thing you do? You go into her room and clean out the memorial you set up there? Really?
Flag
Staff
Loved the Pilot. Devastatingly beautiful. Soundtrack is what builds the suspense. The characters are what build the emotions. Both go great together. Need more now.
Flag
Actually, this show is about as good as tv gets. The music, the plot, the storylines, the actors, absolutely mezmorizing. Ive seen alot of good tv series in my lifetime, and this one is at the top of the list!! Riveting, shocking, as well as suspenseful, is all an understatement.
Flag
I thought the first few episodes were OK, but it turned out to be the second worst show in the past few years after Hemlock Grove. I wrote a longer post about it on the "should I watch" page. Link.
Flag
going to give this another shot I download the pilot on Itunes will record tonite's
Flag
in the show page it says "hasnt aired yet".. can someone please update these stuff , especially if there is a show that is reviewed..
Flag
There is no show page for 'Les revenants', the original series that Sundance is showing. There is a show page for 'The returned', the American version that is made based on the original French one. That series will air in 2014 so it's correct it sais 'hasn't aired yet'.
Flag
If you look at the sub-titles, you'll see that when the show title Les Revenants comes up, the sub-title says The Returned. The American remake which premieres on ABC next year, is named Resurrection.
Flag
Resurrection (ABC) is an adaptation of The Returned (a novel). The Returned (Sundance) is an adaptation of They Came Back (a French movie), and will soon be adapted as an English-language series that will either be called They Came Back or The Returned.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Oh and i hope that Resurrection is very different from Les Revenants/ The Returned, because i don't want to watch the same story over again this soon. If i have to choose, i'll go with Les Revenants. Because i love this show, and need two of the same show.
Flag
Don't need two of the same show- oops.
Flag
I click on the title of a show in a pilot episode review and it links to a page.. then there is some airing and there is a page of the same show.. it really does not matter if it is an original series or a version; a show, name les revenants (the returned in English) is aired in a US channel.. if a link goes to a "wrong" page, this still is poor management, especially for a show that is reviewed.. and if someone is reviewing a show, then there has to be a page related to it.. there is actually nothing correct about this situation..
Flag
The posting is on the community page of "The returned', so when you click the link it will take you to 'The returned' On the community many postings that are in any way related to 'The returned' can be posted. So it is absolutely correct what they have done.

If somebody would have made a 'Les revenant'page/community. it probably would have linked to that page. But no one of us or the staff have. If you'd rather have the staff not review series that have no community/series page, please tell them.
Flag
No, you told me, I'm not with tv.com. I'm not sure if they will read every comment. But you can write a mail to f.i. TVcom_editorial
Flag
thats exactly what I'm doing..
Flag
Thanks for recommending. Watch the 1st episode after reading your review and it was great ! I seldom watch foreign shows and probably would have miss it if I did not read it here.

Now I am so tempted to watch everything quickly.

The show does remind me a bit of The 4400 though. I think the concept and guess I really missed 4400. I do hope there is a good answer to this kind of mystery show.
Flag
At first I was taken aback because it is subtitled and I thought I would be missing out on the visuals as I try to read along w/ the storyline. But this was not the case whatsoever. In no time at all, I didn't even notice that I was reading the dialogue and was completely immersed in the plot. This program is extremely believable in how people would behave when confronted with a situation that goes against everything they know as "reality". The acting and story progression breathes life into a show that I thought somewhat unoriginal when I first heard of this series. And the murder scene in the first episode looked so real and occurred so disturbingly close I thought I had actually gotten some blood on me from just watching it. I wasn't watching anything in particular on Thursdays but this series will find me glued to the tube during its air time for the next 7 weeks.
Flag
You dont read subtitles, in short time the meaning will just superimpose on the sounds
Flag
it was okay, nothing special will not be adding to my watch list!!!
Flag
We must have been watching different shows because I thought it was riveting.
Flag
I'm still confused. Can someone tell me, is this a new show based on the French series Returned, or is it just Sundance airing that one?
Flag
Staff
Sundance is airing the original series
Flag
Thanks!
Flag
I saw it months ago while in the UK.

It's beautifully shot and emotional to the end, very good series.
Flag
Sooooo good! I kind of wish they never bothered with the last 10 minutes or so of 'exposition' so it could leave you wondering, but with only eight episodes I guess they've got to fill you in pretty quickly. Beautiful shot (minus a couple of bad fades), great mystery to the story (again, until they fill you in a bit), and loved the acting. This one's going to be a tear jerker, I imagine.
Flag
It was just wonderful. It was beautifully and artfully shot, the stories were good, the actors were wonderful. This is a winner in my book. I absolutely loved it.
Flag
yeah I loved it when i aired here (in France) , i'm happy that you like some of our stuff too!
Flag
Staff
Bien sur! Please recommend any other French shows to check out, if you please
Flag
oops "it"
Flag
I saw it almost half a year ago, after it was suggested in some comment. It truly was great and you're all in for a great treat. So many questions and not all the answers. So human. Happy a second series will be filmed next year, although I'm confused how they will deal with the fact that the kids will be two years older. And that lake, they're really building that up episode by episode.
Flag
I love this series I've seen the whole thing, so stick it out to the end, its brilliant. In french with subtitles and apparently there will be a second season but i imagine you'll be waiting some time for it.
Flag
Ah, this one is good. Eerie good even.
My favourite character is Simon (Pierre Perrier), he has a nonchalant manner and is handsomely young.

The production team make it hard to be absolutely sure who is there for real, and only odd, and who has returned. We have Camille, right? She's returned for sure.

I love this kind of mystery-secluded village-odd-series. Reminds me a bunch of Twin Peaks.
Flag
In the land where nothing makes sense, TV commissioning,Channel 4 in the UK have ordered up the second season of The Returned AND have ordered an English version written by Paul Abbot. If I was a young writer trying to get my scripts used I'd be very depressed. Paul Abbot is a fine writer but Jesus what a waste of money...
Flag
I loved it. Cool, fresh and new.
Flag
I LOVED the returned it was BRILLIANT... when is the next one
Flag
How do you know you're watching an imported show? Girls are walking alone in the dark with no pepper spray. My ass would have been packing. No getting stabbed by serial killers for me.

I am really intrigued by this show. The subtitles really didn't bother me like I worried they might. It actually forced me to pay better attention.
Flag
My sentiments exactly. I didn't even notice I was reading along a short ways into it.
Flag
I was wondering, is the original french version with subtitles or an adaptation?
Flag
I watched the French version from Canal 5 (had to run around the net looking for English subs as my High School French let me down quite a bit) and then watched what was shown on English TV and I believe they are the same (English dubbed in with subs). I watched both all the way through and boy are you in for a treat!
Flag
sorry, not dubbed, just subbed... what I saw from the French channel is what you see here with English subs.
Flag
Amazing show. 'Haunting' in the truest sense. I would appeal to horror fans that expect gore, and bombastic terror, to skip this, or realign their expectations. Its a slow boiler of dread and heartache. Its not a 'zombie' show. There are no crossbows or ninja swords (yet). But the atmosphere is thick, and the tension is high. Oh yeah subtitles, so get used to it, no complaining about having to read. (or wait until FOX re-does a watered down american version with a down-to-earth rural sheriff and a wise cracking little kid in 3 years).
Flag
I actually thought the murder scene in the first episode to be extremely graphic in its presentation but graphic in a good. This is a great show!
Flag
I agree the violence is shocking and spontaneous, not gratuitous. Some horror relies on the spectacle of violence to entice an audience. I love a good gory movie or show but I fell like people expecting "thrilling' violence might be disappointed with The Returned. Watch Hannibal (imdecribably awesome) for that!
Flag
Hannibal is one of my favorites!
Flag
Ive already seen all of it and it stays just this good all the way through.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members