Leverage

The 12-Step Job

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Feb 03, 2009 on TNT

• Disappointing episode.

Leverage is a fine show with some decent acting (although at times Timothy Hutton seems drunk out of mind and stutters) but this episode drifted too much. The only really enjoyable scenes involved Hardison and Eliot as their conversations about spilled slurpees and computer wires never grow old.

The allusion to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was obvious, although not nearly as enjoyable as the classic movie (anything beats reading the book, or any book for that matter). The old guy who was barely audible was a nice touch though.

It just seems like Leverage is running out of ideas to base heists on. This story had several plot holes in it which also hurt my score.
  • A woman approaches the Leverage team about missing money. The team finds that the man isn't as bad as he seems.

As a part of this con, Nate, Parker and Sophie end up in a rehab center (Nate and Parker as patients, alcoholism and kleptomania respectively) and Sophie as a doctor. The con- to get a severe alcoholic to reveal the location of a large some of money. On the outside, Hardison and Eliot face off with a couple gangs who want their money back. The character development is Nate's. He goes through with withdrawal, and his relationship with Sophie suffers for it. Sophie and Nate make their way through the con without absolutely ruining their complicated relationship, while Hardison and Eliot avoid getting blown up. And Parker ends up on happy pills. Does Nate finish all twelve steps? I think we know the answer…
  • This episode deals a lot with addiction and the things it makes people do.

Good solid episode that dealt with addictions. Nate has a problem with alcohol but doesn't want to face it. The episode is about a man named Jack Hurley, who steals money from a charity, but we find out it is only to triple it for the soup kitchen to have more money. Initially the team is after Jack, and setup a con where he is in rehab. Nate is in as an alcoholic, Parker as a kleptomaniac, and Sophie as a Doctor. After getting in there and working with Jack they find out he is not such a bad guy. Also looking for the money and Jack are Korean and Mexican cartels. Eliot and Alec have several run ins with them and manage to come out on top every time. In the end the fake Jacks death and all the money is returned to the charity and Jack gets a new identity.

There were very good performances in this episode. Nate's portrayal of an alcoholic is very convincing. Hopefully he will get some help soon.
  • The pot calling the kettle black....

One of the things I loved about this episode is that we are starting to see the layers underneath the staff of Leverage Inc. Within this week's job the gang is after Hurley who has embezzled money from not only a charity but group of very bad ass guys. Now through their investigation the team learns that Hurley has several unaddressed issues and figure the best way to get the information they need is to send him to rehab to "be honest". Undercover in rehab is Parker and ironically Nate. Nate of course is denying that he has a issue with alchol, an issue that the rest of the team is fully aware. Sophie tries desperately to get Nate to see what he's doing, but she hasn't learned the first rule, you can help someone that doesn't want help. The team realizes that in his own bizarre way, Hurley is very much like them and just wants to help others. He's just gone about it wrong. They team saves Hurley and teach him the error of his ways as well as give him a new start on the one condition that he behaves. The case is a success however, we still have Nate fighting his own demons. We'll have to see how badly they continue to haunt him and hope that it's not detremental to the team.
  • Nate's drinking is addressed once again when the team ends up in rehab to find some stolen money. Does Sophie finally get through to Nate? More after the jump, just as soon as I take my happy pills…

The Leverage team attempts to recover a sum of money that was swindled from a charity by an investment broker. After tricking him into entering a rehab facility due to his alcoholism, the team learns that he's not the terrible person he appeared to be.
    They addressed Nate's drinking issues in a big way in this one, too bad at the end of it all Nate still wants to get back to the drinking, I guess Sophie has her work cut out for her!!

More Thoughts on 'The 12-Step Job':
    - We get a return of Sterling at least in hallucination form! I'm guessing he'll be back again since it's nearing the end of the season.
    - Loved all the Hardison/Elliott stuff, especially the bomb scare and gang stuff.
    - Hardison shooting the car when aiming for the gang guy's leg was funny.
    - Loved that Parker loved the happy pills, and her whole 'I don't do drugs' exchange with the psych doc.
    - The Nick Nolte patient was played well for comic relief

Bottom Line: One of the better episodes of Leverage!

Next Week: Data! Brent Spiner guest stars!!

More at www.theplurp.com
  • Lots of twists and turns....I like it

Well they finally got Nate into rehab. Too bad it was just another con. This episode deals with them trying to get a stock broker who has more vices than money left from the people he conned. Most of which by the way are trying to kill him while they are trying to hustle him. The scene with Eliot and Hardison in Eliot's car with the slurpee, and the scene with hardison sitting on the bomb are very entertaining and not to be missed. We also see more into Nate's alcohol demons as he begins his stretch of withdrawl. We also can see just how much Sophie does appear to care about him as she tries to get him to open up about why he drinks, and even tries to get him to go back into the program once the con is over. Overall very entertaining