Leverage

The Carnival Job

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Jul 31, 2011 on TNT

• 7/31

A good episode of Leverage tonight. We had a lot of action, including some extended craziness in the weekly Christian Kane fight, a Urijah Faber appearance and a good story as well with the kidnapping. They kind of abandoned the mission which I didn't like, but this show proved that it has heart and they let viewers know that a child is more important than business.

This is what Leverage is about: comedy, heart, action and a nice ending with the bad guy getting what they had coming. Well-written and definitely proof that the show can still be good when it wants to be. It just needs to be like that more often.
  • Fire the writer!

And why? Because this is the most poorly written episode of the show. I actually hit a point of cringing in sympathy for the cast... and they couldn't save it. All the wild con personas they used couldn't hide (distract from) how superficial the setup really was, or that the team's typical research of a target didn't expose the psychological dimensions they only picked up on the fly... or not. Then of course there's other little issues everywhere like how Parker takes out a trained assassin on a Ferris wheel... but of course since we don't see it, all the director thinks we need to believe it is to show the outcome. There are many many more small details fouled up (like yet another gadget that this time magically opens a safe that a master safecracker / thief can fully identify but suddenly can't open). Rather than go over more, I'll just forget I saw this one at all. I've seen better written comic books... and that was over 30 years ago.