Leverage

The Three Days of the Hunter Job

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Aug 12, 2009 on TNT

• Above average episode.

7.6
    After two lackluster episodes of Leverage we finally got a decent one here. In tonight's installment the heist involved stealing a "news story" and ruining the career for a Nancy Grace-type broadcaster. There were a lot of laughs, but per usual most of them came from Parker and Hardison who may be the best 1-2 punch on TV this summer. Unfortunately, Sophie, played by Gina Bellman who I enjoyed on Coupling, was featured heavily here, and she just is not that entertaining to put it mildly. Her accent just does not blend with the rest of the cast, her lines seem so unnatural and awkward to say the least.
  • Hilarious! And nice to see "Aunt Zelda" too!

This was a great episode. Leverage has become an even better show this season, and every installment has been highly entertaining. In this one, the team members 'switch jobs' with Sophie running the con, and Nate being one of the guys. Beth Broderick (Aunt Zelda from Sabrina the Teenage Witch) plays the mark - a hack journalist who slanders nice innocent folks on her show making them appear villainous. Her demise was very well-deserved and delicious to watch. To me the best part of the show though was when I first saw Hardison decked out as a nutty conspiracy theorist with a crazy hair style and facial expressions that made me laugh out loud. That actor (Aldis Hodge) makes this show - he is brilliant! They all play well off each other though - the cast has excellent chemistry that only grows as the serious goes forward. The recent ongoing theme of Sophie feeling a bit lost though is getting a bit old and whiney feeling but other than that no complaints - this episode kicked a**!
  • A bus driver who served in the Gulf War is smeared on TV by Monica Hunter on her cable "news" show Hunt for the Truth. He's a bus driver and had an accident caused by mechanical failure. She slandered him and the team wants to save his reputation.

This was a very interesting episode basically playing up shows like that one with the woman on CNN where she plays on peoples guilt for ratings. If you vilify someone enough you can get peoples sentiment against them. The more sensational the better the ratings. In this case Monica Hunter in her Hunt for the Truth has been doing this to people obviously for years. I found it interesting that TNT used Nancy Grace to advertise their Raising the Bar program during this episode. I wonder if that was really planned beforehand.

Sophie is running the con this time and Nate is playing a big part. By the end of the show Sophie realizes she's a grifter at heart and really didn't find the con that fulfilling from Nate's point of view. She thought it would be more fun.

In a way everyone traded places in this episode. Eliot had to run the computer program, Parker had to play point on the con, Alec and Nate had to be players in the story. It was pretty humorous when Eliot runs down Parker and then after a few minutes she jumps up and walks away. The look on peoples faces was great.

A nice entertaining episode. They basically made Monica look like she probably does to a great deal of her viewers. Crazy! They even supplied her with anti-psychotics. Priceless! Good acting and the story was nice. I am not sure if the ending at the base really works but they sort of paint themselves in a corner with the military thing and had to improvise to get out. That is why I gave it an 8.5 as the believability factor was a little lower than some of their cons in the past. Thanks for reading...