Lewis Forums

Friday 9:00 PM on ITVBetween Seasons

Is Lewis better than Inspector Morse?

Which show do you prefer?

soubriquet

[1]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 7

Is Lewis better than Inspector Morse? I don't think so, but that seems to be the consensus opinion of this site's voting bloc.

As of today, Morse has an overall show rating of only 8.0, compared to Lewis at 8.5.

Also, looking at ratings of the individual episodes, only seven from Morse have been rated 9.0 or higher (21% of the total, counting the five specials); Lewis, by comparison, has already put five of eight over that mark (63%), with the pilot barely missing joining them as well.

Is this the usual "score creep" where current fans always bid up ongoing shows while off-air products, by comparison, receive a more critical look? Or do folks agree with these relative outcomes?

Don't get me wrong, I like Kevin Whatley. But he's no John Thaw.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

count-chocula

[2]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 47
    This is a tough decision for me, but I overall I think I prefer Lewis, just a touch more. Morse is great, although I've seen the episodes a lot and they're all, obviously, very much set in the '80s / '90s. I think Lewis has more interesting story lines.

lynna12000

[3]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 21
    Don't get me wrong, I loved Morse. I just think that Lewis is a much more sympathetic character. The average person 'gets' Lewis. His motivations are a lot simpler and approachable than Morse was.

thuginthemaking

[4]Apr 13, 2009
    • level: 20

I think Lewis is better than Inspector Morse..

happy-days-4-sr

[5]Apr 16, 2009
    • level: 14
    lewis is my fave detective show. i've never watched a whole ep of morse.

cierob

[6]Apr 24, 2009
    • level: 12
    Hard one actually. I really like both shows. Can't really compare them, but since I had to choose, as there was no other box. I chose Lewis. Nothing against Morse I just think Lewis is more approachable. Although he can be snippy like Morse.

lexlou

[7]May 23, 2009
    • level: 10

i have to say lewis, not that i didn't like Morse, but i find its easy to follow

and having fox in the show doesn't hurt either

talk about babe in blue

Marmalade_man

[8]Jan 25, 2010
    • level: 5
    I think Morse has a definite disadvantage because there are no new episodes possible. "Score creep" gives Lewis an substantial advantage because of the boost given by current fans in my opinion. This is illustrated by the fact that the question postered here under another heading about favorite detective had Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes missing until I included it. I like Lewis but he is not as interesting a character as Morse and few other detectives come close to Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes in my opinion.

98slbrookes98

[9]May 7, 2010
    • level: 7

I love both shows but I wtched my first ever episode of Lewis last sunday and its so haunting - I can't say that any Morse episode I hve seen, even Second Time Round is as haunting as The Dead of Winter - just loved that.

donnieitaly

[10]May 8, 2010
    • level: 1

I'm sorry to be in the wrong place but how do I submit a new topic?

(What I want to ask is why did Hathaway "affirm" in court, when he's is meant to be a commited Christian? This was at the very beginning of the last seen episode (Number two I think). Christians "Swear by Almighty God", but he didn't. Why?

Canada_Michael

[11]Aug 17, 2010
    • level: 10

I find Lewis has been turned into Morse. He is just as annoyed at his partner as Morse was annoyed at him. I would definitely say Morse is better, Lewis seems to be a attempt to recapture the magic of Inspector Morse & IMO falls short.

lynna12000

[12]Sep 6, 2010
    • level: 21
    Canada_Michael wrote:

I find Lewis has been turned into Morse. He is just as annoyed at his partner as Morse was annoyed at him. I would definitely say Morse is better, Lewis seems to be a attempt to recapture the magic of Inspector Morse & IMO falls short.

While Lewis DOES get annoyed with his Sergeant, I don't agree that Lewis has been turned into Morse. For one thing, it would have been Morse taking the suspect out to dinner, rather than his Sergeant.

In 'The Dead of Winter', a DC makes disparaging remarks about Hathaway to Lewis. That would never have occurred with Morse; NOT that Morse would have tolerated it, but because the other detectives never seemed to find Morse approachable. The DC obviously felt comfortable with Lewis to approach him in his office.

Inspector Lewis is older and wiser than Sergeant Lewis. He's also a bit more acerbic than he was, but his bit lacks the acid edge that Morse had. I grew up watching Inspector Morse, and by extension, Lewis. Unlike many television series, we DO get to find out what happened after the show ended (outside of fanfic ) Lewis is recognizable, but he has changed in ways that are unexpected. But the changes are logical and understanable. It's like watching an old friend. That's probably why I enjoy the show.