Liberty's Kids Forums

PBS (ended 2004)

Anyone else think this show is great?

suplex2000

[1]Feb 20, 2006
    • level: 11
    Hello Liberty's Kids fans. I just wanted to say that one Saturday morning (back when they aired on Saturdays) I was up at around 7:00am EST and flipping through the channels, and found "Liberty's Kids" on WB11.

Immediately I liked the quality of the artwork (animation) and thought that it was very unique to have a cartoon talk about the past the way this one does.

Also the celebrity voices that have been used for this cartoon reads like the who's who.

If anyone hasn't given it a chance yet, they are still airing repeats on Sunday mornings. I believe they air three episodes in a row, so you can catch up pretty fast.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

stargirl

[2]Mar 26, 2006
    • level: 3
    I did and I watch it every Sunday at 8:30 and 9 am on the WB. Even though I am in my 20's I love anything that has to do with history

suplex2000

[3]Apr 2, 2006

Hi Stargirl, I am so thrilled to find someone else who actually likes this show.

You won't believe this, but you can buy the whole, 40 episode, set of the show on 6 DVD's.

That isn't what's hard to believe, the price is what's hard to believe.

Check out this link:

http://teacher.shop.pbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=1986750

I don't know where they get off charging a price like that, but I don't think it will ever sell. I like historical things as well, and I just think that the way they show it in Liberty's Kids is really outstanding.

Edited on 08/05/2007 5:02pm

PirateBladerK

[4]Apr 14, 2006
    • level: 10
    I like this show and I like history too. I watched when it was airing on PBS in 2003. When it moved to the WB, I stopped watching it not because I was tired of it, but because it didn't have the special "commercial" features with the minigames and such. I still like it though.

As for the DVDs, I want them too! But they're expensive. Since they are six DVDs with the whole thing, then that would be about $83. Even with the special features and whatnot, it's not that worth it. I'm just thankful that I still have my DVD from a cereal box (it was from a promo).

stephholly

[5]Apr 16, 2006
    I totally love this show! I got into it right before it was cancelled, so I never had a chance to get familiar with it. But, one morning, I was surfing channels and saw an episode.

It got me hooked.

So, now, I watch it every Sunday morning. My favorite episode is The Boston Teaparty, the origin episode. It's just too awesome. The American Revolution is a truly fascinating war, one of my "favorites".

Whoa... I'd love to buy all 40 episodes, but 500.00?!!? Are these guys crazy? Who charges a price like that...

suplex2000

[6]Apr 17, 2006
    stephholly wrote:
    I totally love this show! I got into it right before it was cancelled, so I never had a chance to get familiar with it. But, one morning, I was surfing channels and saw an episode.

It got me hooked.

So, now, I watch it every Sunday morning. My favorite episode is The Boston Teaparty, the origin episode. It's just too awesome. The American Revolution is a truly fascinating war, one of my "favorites".

Whoa... I'd love to buy all 40 episodes, but 500.00?!!? Are these guys crazy? Who charges a price like that...

Hi StephHolly:

I started watching the show as well in a similar fashion to you, fliping through channels and there it was.

I think that schools charge a ridiculous price like that so that teachers can show an episode here and there in the classroom.

However I was fortunate enough to record it from television and I have all 40 episodes completely commercial free...in order from #1 to #40...on 8 DVD-R's (5 episodes per DVD).

I have looked on eBay, Yahoo Auctions, and even sites like:

https://www.dvdavenue.tv
    http://raredvds.tv/index.php

And it seems that nobody (other than the $500.00 site) has this show at all.

Loswellias

[7]Apr 20, 2006
    • level: 12
    I too found the show just flipping through the channels. I really liked the animation and as soon as I found out that it was about the American Revolution I was hooked. I love history, and I love how this show portrays the events of the past.
    It is a great show for the whole family, educational for all.
    I watch it every time it comes on my local WB station.

air_gurl13

[8]Apr 26, 2006
    • level: 17
    This show is greta, I think they should continue on to the World wars and things. To depressing? Yeah it is not very much for kids a season on the grest depression, but I would watch it.

suplex2000

[9]Apr 29, 2006
    air_gurl13 wrote:
    This show is great, I think they should continue on to the World Wars and things. Too depressing? Yeah, it is not very much for kids, a season on the great depression, but I would watch it.

I never really thought of it like that, they should make a new season where they could do even more historical episodes and educate children on a wider range of things that have happened in history.

As long as they didn't make it too gruesome, I think that they could talk about World Wars and have it work out just fine.

Also, judging by the number of people who post in here about Liberty's Kids, I have a strange feeling that there is a very small audience for the show. Kind of gives it a cult like status, where the few that know about it...love it.

marinerzz

[10]May 6, 2006
    • level: 5
    What character did Barry Zito, Oakland A's pitcher, do the voice for? That's crazy that he was in it!

And does anyone know where to find a picture of Reo Jones? I wanna know what she looks like, I love Sarah's voice!

suplex2000

[11]May 8, 2006

marinerzz wrote:
    What character did Barry Zito, Oakland A's pitcher, do the voice for? That's crazy that he was in it!

And does anyone know where to find a picture of Reo Jones? I wanna know what she looks like, I love Sarah's voice!

I have been racking my brains trying to find both of those things you asked for...and simply can't. When you go to IMDB.com to look up what character the Baseball player voiced, it just says "(voice)" next to his name and doesn't tell you who he voiced.

Then I thought it would be pretty simple to find a picture of the girl who does the voice for Sarah, and I am coming up short on that as well.

I am still looking though, and now this is bothering me that I can't find it.
    Edited on 05/08/2006 2:15pm

PirateBladerK

[12]May 17, 2006
    • level: 10
    air_gurl13 wrote:
    This show is greta, I think they should continue on to the World wars and things. To depressing? Yeah it is not very much for kids a season on the grest depression, but I would watch it.

I thought about that too. Of course, there are definitely things that are not for kids, but as long as it's toned down, then that would do too.

supermanshero

[13]Jun 11, 2006
    This show just rocks out loud, it was so much better then listening to a teacher in my history class. I wish I could buy all the episode, but they are so pricy. It stopped coming on Kids OPB, but now it comes on wed. thu. and fri. at 7am on WB 32. So I'm going to try to tape it.

suplex2000

[14]Jun 19, 2006
    supermanshero wrote:
    This show just rocks out loud, it was so much better then listening to a teacher in my history class. I wish I could buy all the episode, but they are so pricy. It stopped coming on Kids OPB, but now it comes on wed. thu. and fri. at 7am on WB 32. So I'm going to try to tape it.

Three episodes air in a row on Sundays on WPIX (Channel 11 depending on where you live).

On Sunday, June 25th, 2006, from 9:00am to 10:30am EST, they are airing the following three episodes:

1) 9:00am The New Frontier
    2) 9:30am Not Yet Begun To Fight
    3) 10:00am The Great Galvez

After that on Sunday, July 2nd, 2006, they will air these episodes:

1) 9:00am Bostonians
    2) 9:30am Benedict Arnold
    3) 10:00am Conflict in the South

My point is that they are airing them in order and "Conflict in the South" is Episode #33 out of the 40 in the series.

So if my calculations are correct on July 23rd, 2006 they will air the 40th episode: "We the People" at 9:00am, then the 9:30am episode will be: "The Boston Tea Party" which is the First episode in the series.

So "supermanshero" if you really want to start recording all episodes to make your own set, wait until July 23rd, 2006 at 9:30am EST on WPIX (Channel 11) and you will be able to get three episodes per week (on Sundays) where all of your episodes will be in order from #1 to #40.

lyokophantom

[15]Jun 20, 2006
    • level: 36
    I think it is cool. some how i got a couple of episodes on a DVD 4 free. when i saw it it was on PBS.

supermanshero

[16]Jun 20, 2006
    Thank you suplex2000. Where did you get that info?

supermanshero

[17]Jun 20, 2006
    To bad I don't have channel 11. I can tape 2 per week, they might not be in order, but at least I will have them on tape. Oh well.I notice that they skip an episode, so I hope they come back to it when they start over. I have channel 32.

suplex2000

[18]Jun 23, 2006
    supermanshero wrote:
    Thank you suplex2000. Where did you get that info?

I have a TV Guide type schedule on the home page web site that I use and if you type in anything (ie: Liberty's Kids) it will tell you what episodes are airing and on what channels.

They are also airing 3 episodes in a row on WPHL (channel 19 where I live) from 11:00am to 12:30pm on Sunday mornings.

Either way, I am just glad you will be able to start your collection of a truly great show.

Did you happen to notice my one post about a web site that sells the whole set on 6-DVD's for $500.00? Isn't that insane!!! The only thing that makes it worse, is that due to the fact that it IS commercially available (despite being $500) it probably won't ever be released again at a cheaper price.

So unless you have a spare $500 (which I still wouldn't buy it based on principle alone) or you record it from TV, you have a slim chance of ever getting a set.
    Edited on 09/20/2006 4:21pm
    Edited 2 total times.

supermanshero

[19]Jun 23, 2006
    Yeah ouch $500, I think I'm going to record it, I have to many bills as it is. LOL

supermanshero

[20]Jun 23, 2006
    OK this is a little out there, but do you know where I can find some good picture from liberty's kids, I've read all the fan fiction, and I love drawing, but there are no good sites. Any ideas? If anything I can draw them from the TV.