Liberty's Kids

PBS (ended 2004)

Liberty's Kids Fan Reviews (19)

• A Revolutionary Show

This show will truly teach you about the American Revolution. It isn't perfect but it does a very good job of blending good stories with factual scenarios pulled from the founding of the USA. It also gives a good sense of the international aspects by having the lead girl just off the boat from England and Benjamin Franklin in England and then France. Bravo
  • I love Liberty's Kids!

Just a quick review of this great show.

Story: 9/10

Characters: 8/10

Art: 10/10
  • right on target

I think it is very accurect. People have not been taught the true story of America. The American Heritage Series does show the history of this country. With document to back it up which he shows. Look up The American Heritage Series on youtube by David Barton and Wall Builders. People are so uneducated. One guy told me that none of the founding Father's were Christian. but 53 of 56 were Christiand and regulary went to church. Many of them were preachers. It is all very sad. The president said there were other people other than Christians helped to found America. Who? He didn't say because it is not true. Christian founded America so that everyone could worship God in anyway they wanted to. There was Relious Liberty for all. We are losing that Liberty. Right now we can believe what we want and can not act on it. They had that in other countries. Relious freedom without the goverment interfering is what our Founding Father's wanted for us. They voted on Abolishing slavery in the first congress but it missed by one vote. People need to know the truth. Our Presient and Vis President have lied over and over on this. The media lets them do it. They keep saying it over and over and now people believe. Separation of church of state is not in the Constitudes. It simple says for Congress not to make laws either for or against religion. Read it
  • Horrible anti-British and petty nationalist propaganda

Am I the only one not drinking the Kool-Aid here? I mean Liberty's Kids has about as much connection to actual early US history as does Mel Gibson's 'The Patriot'. The British are portrayed as stereotypical monsters unless they are pro-revolution. This show is overly simplistic - even young kids can understand a little complexity, but Liberty's Kids gives none whatsoever.

This show represents xenophobia and petty nationalism mixed with bad history. D.W. Griffith's racist movie 'Birth of a Nation' was more historically accurate and less prejudiced than this awful garbage. PBS should be ashamed that it even bought this show. The fact that they allowed impressionable kids to see such nonsense is unforgivable.

My 5 year-old daughter is British, and I would hate for her to meet with the sort of hatred that a show like this can easily engender. I'm so glad that Liberty's Kids has been cancelled and that her friends are no longer likely to see the show.
  • Watch the show :)

I love history! This is pretty much my favorite show. I've researched characters as they are introduced and have found that their portrayals are very accurate!(Fun Fact:When Sybil Lundington goes on her "Midnight Ride" the man who answers the first door is Edmund Ogden..the man she marries). The show often gives a pretty patriotic view of the Revolutionary War but also teaches viewers that having the facts is always important. They even out the patriotic feeling by having Sarah as a character to offer opposing viewpoints and by giving the main characters opportunities to learn more about their enemies, showing that they are regular people as well. (Good example is the episode The Hessians are Coming). Liberty's Kids also illustrates the fact that in war, journalism and the citizens are important factors, just like the soldiers are. I am now 17 and still enjoy this show as much, if not more, than I did when I was younger. I believe this show is the perfect way to expose young children to American history for the first time. I plan on sharing it with the kids I babysit and my students when I become a teacher.
  • I show this series to my class!

I am a 5th grade teacher, and I often show episodes of this series to my class when we learn about the Revolutionary War. It is a great series that teaches about the events that led up to, during, and after the war. It also comes across as a great drama series also, so it is entertaining as well as informative. The characters live their lives as they did back in those times.

Another reviewer was incorrect in stating that in the show some kids go back in time to the Revolutionary War days. Actually, the kids are apprentice journalists under Ben Franklin at his printing press newspaper business.

Informative show, and entertaining for all ages as well.
  • Series about a group of kids who go back in time to learn more about the Revolutionary War.

Call me a nerd, but I used to love this show!!! XD When I was in fifth grade, we started learning about the Revolutionary War for the first time. To get a better understanding of it, my teacher would show us these episodes. They really helped! I got better grades on that part of history than any other XD It's also the easiest to remember. I would recommend this show to any child or adult who would be interested in learning more about the war that started the United States of America. I really can't think of a better way to learn about it.
  • This happened before they made George Washington our first president.But he did not want that to be the ruler of the country, he just wanted people to live free with out someone telling them what to do, what not to do that's why the Constrution was made.

When i started to watch liberty kids in the morning, i just never thought i could learn so much from one eposide than i could learn in a class room. If anyone has young kids and they are learning about the history of the land that we all come from i would say that liberty kids is a good and interesting show to watch. Eveyone can get a lot out of watching a show of how things came together before George Washington became our first presdient of the United States.To all the parents liberty kids does have fighting in it and action of all sorts, but that is what George Washington went though to make it all posible for us to become the United States of America.
  • A show about the colinial times, when America was just getting started.

It's a great way to learn about history, it's like an animated history book in my opinion. I think it needs a better air time, mainly because it comes on at all different times in the morning, I've seen it at 4 AM, 5 AM, and 3:30 AM(all centeral times). Normally I'm asleep by then, but on rare occasion I'll be awake longer and be able to see it. Liberty's Kids is a great show, it's informative and I like it. I even remember once I was watching it and my cat was sitting in a chair and watching it as well, as if he was a normal human child enjoying a good show.
  • Liberty's Kids is an animated story about the adventures of James Hiller, Sarah Phillips, and Henri LeFebrve, three children living during the American Revolution.

This show is so wonderful. The three children experience the hardships and the passions of America's War for Independance as well as meet many of America's Founding Fathers and influential characters. It is filled with great lessons on American History presented in a fun and interesting way! The characters are funnay and colorful and the history is fantastic. More shows on television like this one are definatly needed.
  • This needs a better airing time!

I really do miss watching Liberty's Kids. It was and still is one of my most favorite shows. As a result of watcing the show, I became quite a hardcore Revolutionary War fanatic. It sparked my interest in history. I wish the WB, oops, I mean CW would air it more often, and at a decent time!
    I love how it presnted history in a way that was not too overwhelming. They do a good job of covering some touchy subjects with grace. The characters were very likeable. The voice actors they chose for many historical figures I felt portrayed them well.
  • Truly, Liberty's Kids has brought to live American history and showed everyone how wonderful it is. I am a history fan and this series gets 2 thumbs way up!

If you have not yet seen this, you must. In all honesty, it is well done, high budgeted , and lost of famous folks got involved, like Arnie Schwartzenegger and more! If you are not a fan of history, be prepared to start liking it. For the history bufss like me, this will be a relaxing way to see history in cartoon form. But unlike some other fruitless attempts (like School House Rocks), this is really well done and you will be surprised at the quality and historical integrity.

I suggest that you bring the kids along. It is important to know where America came from and what makes it so great: the people.

Thank you.
  • This show informs people. I really like it. Read more below.

This very informative show centers on journalists who live in the time of the revolutionary war. They work with THE Benjamin Franklin to tell the stories to the citizens of Philadelphia what is going on war wise. I think it has good animation. I also like the accuracy it has in the show. I enjoy all the characters and their different personalities. One is even from Europe born to believe what Europe thinks. But her mind changes. It is a good story for little kids and big kids. The in between lessons are to help you remember what you have learned during watching the show. I definitely give this show a 10.
  • A show about kids during the time of the revolutionary war between Great Britain and the 13 colonies.

A great show about the history of our country. It is very informative and I have learned a couple of things fromwatching this. Sarah, James, and Henri are a fabulous characters, especially Henri who is always hungry. As we go through each episode a differnt event is happening. In the last episode when the Constitution was ratied and signed by the thirteen states was indeed a moment to remember. The voice charcters fit perfectly with the characters this show is one that should be brought back with more tales of the other important moments of the American history everyone should know. Overall this show is one to remember for all those people who really needed a history lesson in a very fun way.
  • Top Quality entertainment. As an educator I can tell you that {sadly} shows like this are few and far between. Thank you PBS!!!

Why can\\\'t more kids shows be this fun, wholesome, educational and morally sound? Why can\\\'t I find it in video or as a complete set? With all the mind knumbing worthles stuff on that little black box this is an amazing show that is set aside from the rest!!! I would like to see more of this quality of work.
  • Liberty\'s Kids is a great show that teaches about the American Revolution.

I love this show.
    Liberty\'s Kids is a great show that teaches about the American Revolution primarily through the eyes of two teen aged journalists (Sarah and James).

Sarah and James write articles for Doctor Franklin\'s gazette about the Revolutionary war.
    Sarah who was born British, often struggles with whether or not she is or isn\'t an American.
    James, an orphan, learns life lessons first hand as well, as an investigative reporter uncovering the truth in a dangerous time.

• Great show, read if you have any intrest.

Liberty's Kids was a cartoon produced by Dic in the early 2000's. The show took place during the time period when America was fighting to break free from America. The animation in the show is splendid and rather good for Dic. The theme song is upbeat and really interacts one with the show. Aron Carter sang the song which I think he did a very good job. He may be no Neil Diamond, but a child would not want to hear an "old man" singing. The voice actors they used for each character suit them well. Even the fictional ones such as James. The voice of George Washington suits him well because it is confident and shows leadership. This show only lasted one season and 40 episodes, but its quality never changed. Some episodes were sad and depressing, but there is always a lesson and moral learned at the end of the show. The clothing of the characters are very acurate to the time period. Liberty's Kids is really inspiring to those who may need a little inspiration because many characters in the show die for something they believe in. The sound effects are really great and during action scenes the music used really gets you into the mood of what is going on. I am sure the budget of this show was low considering it was from DIC, but what they did with that is amazing. One really feels like the characters are talking to them instead of eachother. Towards the middle of the show their is a little scene with Ben Franklin which is a little spoof of CNN (Just one letter changed) followed by a little skit with Sarah and "Now & Then" which just compares how we dress, what we say, how we get somewhere, etc to that in the 1700's. For example what we call head was called noggin or noodle nearly 300 years ago. From the begining opening theme song to the ending DIC logo this show is really a success and was underappreciated by many. Perhaps it was due to the fact that it didn't have any comedy. Many children are not attracted to show unless they don't have comedy such as Spongebob. However, shows like this will live on and never go out of style since it doesn't rely on anything from today thus it will never be out of style. Viewers can currently watch this on The WB. There are also a few DVDs out, but DIC plans to release more and even some box sets like The Legend of Zelda and Heathcliff. If you like this show I suggest other DIC shows that have the same kind of adventure. The show may take place in the 17,00's, but the adventure and mystery will never become obselete like the time period. If you have not had the pleasure of watching this show then tune in to the WB or look for the DVDs at you local Wal-Mart $5.50 bin (Nor 2 for 11). Okay, so I have crossed everything from the theme song to the writing to free publicity for Wal-Mart. I think I am now done.
  • try to put a little sprank to it.

i have nothing personal aganist it but,no one liked it,i relly just wanted to know how to speel sybil,it's such a pretty name,but it was the most watch worthy on pbs.pretty much every thing on pbs is boring,the cyber chase idea was good if you take out the math.i relly think the only reason a person would watch it because the theme song is played by arron carter.but for the guy on top of me i say bring the show back.
  • awesome show.

I learned a lot about slavery although before I saw this show I really didnt care about it. It has great details and entertaining story line. Its was interesting to see if sarah would find her dad and what would happen to mosses brother. I am surprised in the rating. I guess some people dont know great shows when they see one.