Lie to Me

Beat the Devil

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Jun 07, 2010 on FOX

• Nice comeback with a great story.

Cal vs. Martin. The gane at the beginning between Cal and Martin is thrilling. Martin is a really sick person and Cal knows all about him but he didn't convince his collegues and his friends. Everybody thinks Cal has a problem with the boy because of the personal issues. All disbelief situation is very exciting. I like the fictional chess game between Cal and Martin. I watch multiple times in other shows Jason Dohring (Martin) as a bad boy. He's good at it. The UFO case is not so cool but it is very realistic and lightful if you believe extraterrestrial life forms.
  • Quite a freaky...- and amazing episode! Great to see thi s show finally back!

First of all, I'm so dlighted to have Lie To Me back on the screen wiht some new episodes. This one was sensational! I thought the whole case was epic, and they really had thought it through very well and made it exstremely interesting! (Seems like they utilised all this time off very well!)

I thought both cases that were investigated were amazing! The UFO was quite freayky, and I didn't know what to suspect of expect next. Didn't wish for the ending that we got, though.

Lightman's case was intense and amazing, and that one really did end with a abandg!

Overall, definitely one that I would recommend! Keep it up Lie To Me, and I can't wait to see some more new episodes!
  • What is wrong with TV shows these days? Would give it a 5 or 6 I suppose, but 1 to make a protest.

So more nonsensical, stupid, ham-fisted "writing" pollutes the airwaves and another show that I enjoyed is ruined.

A show that is supposed to be about finding the truth in human behaviour has people in it behaving in a ridiculous, stupid and unrealistic manner, that does not ring true at all.

The only saving grace was Luca's more light hearted side story, but there was no making up for the main story, which was just nonsense.

I'm not sure that I can suffer through another hour or so of this, but maybe it was just a bad episode. The only thing that stopped this show from being boring was that it was so irritating. Maybe it should be given credit for turning the usual serial killer/horror movie, shouting at the victim (obviously) "don't go there" meme on it's head by making so that you were questioning why the killer/baddie was doing so many stupid things and not doing the obviou. He could have easily destroyed his tutors career and Lightman's business and reputation. Rubbish.
  • It was nice to see Jason Dohring again but that's about it.

I can't stand Lightman, I think his character design is plain annoying and I don't know why the writers have to make him such a know-it-all who is actually right all the time (which makes him just so much more annoying).
    So he's hunting someone he believes is a serial killer and of course our god-like leader of the Lightman Group can never be wrong.
    Anyway, I really enjoyed watching Jason Dohring as Martin Walker (great performance!). So yeah, he was a crazy psycho and that was O.K. but it was also too obvious - since we all know Lighman is impeccable. I think it would have been a much more interesting story (there's something called "twist", it can be used in storylines the make them more appealing) if he had actually been innocent and the killer was somebody else.
    On the other hand there was the UFO-storyline which simply sucked - it was boring and annoying and we all just wanted to see super-Lightman catch the bad guy anyway. I don't even remember why I'm giving this episode a 7.5 rating. Oh, yeah, right - Jason Dohring.
  • Love the plot, story line and some characters developments in this episode. Lie To Me returns with more awesomeness but fell flat on some points given the potential for this story to become even more amazing.

In what could have been a brilliant and an almost pitch perfect return of the Lightman group to TV, there were some moments of awesome character developments and story telling, which were let down quite a bit by the slightly off paced and too rushed ending of this particular episode. I love that Jason Dohring is back on TV after his guest star appearance on CSI not too long ago as I am HUGE fans of Logan Echolls (Veronica Mars) and Josef Kostan (Moonlight). Jason is definitely not being cast in too many roles of late and that is a sad thing because he is a terrific actor and the fact that he's just uber hot, is more than enough reason for him to be on TV more often. Give the guy a series to star in already! Regarding the story line of this episode, there were some pacing issues with it that slowed it and made for some awkward transitions. We've seen this cat and mouse game story line being used in procedural cop shows and criminal forensic type shows before *cough CSI cough*, and this episode was no different. I really enjoyed how Lightman and Martin played each other, which Tim Roth and Jason Dohring did a fantastic job at. I didn't dislike Loker and Torres's own little UFO investigation case thing but I thought they could have completely done away with that and focused more on the main cat and mouse story going on between Lightman and Martin. There were a lot of potential for further character developments in particular, Helen and her relationship with Lightman in the past. I found Martin's character particularly intriguing and thought there could be a lot of work put into it to potentially make this a two-parter episodes, especially when Lightman was caught out by Martin. That would have been a great cliffhanger moment to end there and be left off for next week to come to a conclusion concerning Lightman and Martin's fate as a serial killer. I thought Foster was quite under-utilized in this episode as well, which might be because of Helen's character being introduced but that shouldn't cause for her role as Lightman's number two to be diverted the slightest. The ending felt a bit too rushed, as if the writers were trying to fit in as much back story as they could within that last ten minutes when they figured out that they had run out of time for this episode. This episode could so easily have scored a perfect ten, but because of the awkward pacing and lack of character development; two points off. :( It was the start of a good episode and as it progressed, I really wanted it to take off in an awesome way but it just kind of skidded downwards as it was nearing the end where I was just left feeling meh and not caring for the characters.
  • Great comeback.

After months of waiting, the highly anticipated season continues. Lie to Me doesn't fail to impress and this episode was just an example of how amazing this show really is. Some of the scenes in this episode were wildly disturbing, which made this episode all the better. We also get to have a look at how much Lightman's employees really risk while working with Lightman, taking Torres for example, she could have been captured by the killer right on the spot, and Lightman who actually had to go through being drowned over & over again. That was the disturbing scene I was talking about. Regardless if this season has been pushed all the way to summer, I know this show will be successful for years to come.
  • Lie to Me returns with a bang

It's been a long time coming, and luckily this episode did not disappoint. It hit all the right notes, and had a fantastically chosen guest appearance by none other than Jason Dohring - Veronica Mars fans cheer! He delivers and eerily believable performance, and plays off of Tim Roth rather well, and I enjoyed the back and forth between the two.
    What Lie to Me is so adept at, is figuring out what makes the show work. Many shows try and find their true trajectory in the first few years, going down odd story-lines (like in House when Stacy was on for an entire season, and it didn't really word), and usually wind up scrapping the whole thing without taking anything away. Lie to Me chooses to stay closer on message, rarely taking a screwball storyline into consideration, while simultaneously employing past techniques in order to elicit the desired response.
    In this episode, they have a smarter-than-average psychopath, whose hobbies include killing women, verbally sparring with Cal - an element taken from the episode about the serial killer who "out-Lightmaned Lightman," which is one of the most fantastic episodes of the series. We also have the targeting of an associate of Cal, Torres, reminiscent of the attempted kidnapping of Foster in the same episode as previously mentioned. In addition, we learn more about Cal's past as told to us through his interactions in the present from an old acquaintance, much like in the episode when Cal's old friend, who went to jail for him, comes back and asks him to help him out of a gambling debt.
    While some may see this as unoriginal recycling, I see it as a realization of the show's strong suits. Rather than push into uncharted waters and risk alienating viewers, Lie to Me slowly dips its toes in, feeling its way slowly before making any decisions. This allows Lie to Me to quickly change course without disrupting the natural flow of the show, and rework an old paradigm in a new and interesting way.