Lie to Me

Bullet Bump

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Jul 26, 2010 on FOX

• Very interesting episode! Very intricate!

This was one of the better episodes of this amazing show. The case was a very interesting one, and it certainly led to some very interesting developments for all of the characters.

The Loker/Emily side story was good, but it seemed a little candom. I didn't enjoy that too much, but provided nice breaks within the core content of the case.

The ending of the episode was interesting, and all the great work to uncover the plot was great. It was done in a way that made it both interetsing and also quite realistic.

Keep it up, Lie To Me, as there certainly have been some amazing episodes recently! Hoping for some more great ones, and I would definietly recommend this episode very highly! Lovely!
  • Holier-than-thou TV at its worst, down there with CSI.

2.5
    Ok, so here's how it is. I love Tim Roth. I love his sideways look and the laboured breathing and the image he projects as if he was just about to drop dead in the middle of phoning this little TV thing in. It's all great. It's like Mickey Rourke starring in Cats.

But, and it's quite a but, I just can't stand it when procedurals forget to synch their populist, lowest-common-denominator pandering with their actual plot. I just hate that stuff. So bear with me, here's how that happens. The show is extremely formulaic and a whodunit, so you need to keep a bit under wraps who actually did it. But, of course, you also need the feel good bit where your edgy detective or behavioural scientist or whatever faces up to the obvious baddie and tells it like it is, right? So when you tuck your guilty party so far down the dumb plot that it no longer relates to the person your average 40 year old soccer mom is supposed to feel contempt for, you need to stretch for a way to still blame that dude, even though he actually had nothing to do with the events as they are portrayed. It's lazy, dumb writing of the worst kind.

The absolute bottom of the barrel here is a CSI episode in which a financially conscious bus company owner goes for the lowest bidder when it comes to some bus parts, one breaks and the bus crashes. The crew figures this out and faces him... but he didn't know the parts were faulty. He had been scammed, a victim himself. Not that it matters, because he still gets a stern talk about how going for the best bid was a cheap, disgusting, murderous thing to do.

Lie to me gets pretty close to that level of idiocy in this one. Here we have a by all accounts honest politician who is genuinely interested in improving education (because his potential dishonesty was a red herring they discarded, so we know he's actually a good person that wants to make the country better) and has his wife blatantly betray him and go on a murder spree.

So, by the end of it, this guy's political career is ruined, the woman he loves turns out to be a murderer, his right hand man is dead, and he had nothing to do with any of this. The kids in Virginia are not going to get the nice schools because somebody the guy married (not a staff member, not his people) acted criminally. But because he's a politician, and we all hate politicians, he still gets no sympathy. Lightman grinds him, forces him to resign, forces his friend to give up her stake in his firm and leaves an entire state in tatters. And he not only doesn't show any conflict or remorse, he is presented as a force of unmitigated good. The guy that will get to the bottom of it and expose all the dirt. If the bad plot doesn't remember to actually put any dirt anywhere, well, the target audience will never analyze it that much, will they?

And, of course, if the quality of the storytelling wasn't offensive enough, there is the fact that the whole plot is quite sexist to begin with. Of course it was the wife. Everybody knows what politician's wives are like, right? As in 24 or... well, pretty much any other show with a politician in it other than West Wing, the wife is a power-hungry loveless, evil entity who rides in the coattails of a much better man than herself while using her feminine skills of conspiracy and ruthlessness to rig elections, remove political rivals, murder people and generally be evil. Of course.

Look, this show has never even attempted to transcend the framework of its genre (and, with their cast, that's bad enough), but when things get this bad they need to be called out. I really wish we didn't have to endure the assumption that stories with intelligent, perceptive people investigating stuff are always targeted at braindead audiences. Oh, well, at least somebody decided to greenlight a second season of Sherlock. Not all is lost.