We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Lie to Me Forums

FOX (ended 2011)

Lightman is manic

netgoddess

[1]Nov 6, 2010
    • level: 10

I know he generally had a method to his madness but it seems like Cal is getting increasingly manic over the last several episodes.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

fringelover

[2]Nov 9, 2010
    • level: 6
    They've hinted in a couple of episodes about his mom having mental issues....!

rei_vilo

[3]Nov 12, 2010
    • level: 7
    Sure, Cal is going worse and worse!

But the real pleasure is the actor behind: Tim Roth. His play is just fascinating.

So I shift the reason why I enjoy the show!

lynna12000

[4]Nov 16, 2010
    • level: 21
    Tim Roth does play the part well. The manic personality is part of the intrigue for the character. You are always wondering just what Cal is going to do next.

JanieDoe

[5]Nov 28, 2010
    • level: 3

Without the authority of the FBI or police behind him, his actions are becoming generally unbelievable and ridiculous. I find it hard to believe that, someone without a badge, and I don't give a hoot who they are (unless they were armed, extremely large and on the criminal side), can just barge into someone's house, or office, and get in people's faces and demand answers!!. Loved this show when the FBI was involved. At least he had authority behind his actions and said authority, gave some credibility to the respect given by potential interviewees. Little Lightman getting in the face of the tall opponent, or confronting the 'cult' member outside his house and smashing his car.... common!! Everyone in my house burst out laughing at how unbelievable it was.

Writers, please tone him down just a tad.

_Flutterlight_

[6]Nov 28, 2010
    • level: 15
    I think if they just put the FBI back in things would be a lot better. Agent Reynolds was one of my favorite characters. I wasn't happy to seen him cut like that.

lynna12000

[7]Nov 29, 2010
    • level: 21
    JanieDoe wrote:

Without the authority of the FBI or police behind him, his actions are becoming generally unbelievable and ridiculous. I find it hard to believe that, someone without a badge, and I don't give a hoot who they are (unless they were armed, extremely large and on the criminal side), can just barge into someone's house, or office, and get in people's faces and demand answers!!. Loved this show when the FBI was involved. At least he had authority behind his actions and said authority, gave some credibility to the respect given by potential interviewees. Little Lightman getting in the face of the tall opponent, or confronting the 'cult' member outside his house and smashing his car.... common!! Everyone in my house burst out laughing at how unbelievable it was.

It's always the 'little' guy you have to watch out for in a fight. I should know, my dad is known for not backing down from anyone....no matter what their size. And he's shorter than average.

I do agree that Lightman doesn't have the official power to do what he does. But he is the kind of guy who doesn't let anything stop him.

_Flutterlight_

[8]Nov 29, 2010
    My dad's the same as yours! He's so short, when we went to Europe he was the only adult male who didn't have to duck when we walked through castles.

It seems like Lightman's taken a lot of crap during his life, and after his mother died, he just kinda had enough of it. Now he's not going to do (or not do) ANYTHING unless he decides if he wants to or not.

iceman_freeze

[9]Jan 9, 2011
    • level: 2

JanieDoe wrote:

what you have to remember is lightman is a body language expert. he lures people into situations where they think they are comfortable or into other situations where they feel vunerable and he reacts to what they say or do. hes like a puppet master. i could see how his methods work in real life. also authority figures such as the fbi "bounded" him with certain things he wanted to do at times. now hes "free" and more or less do whatever he likes.

_Flutterlight_

[10]Feb 13, 2011
    I think it's kind of like, he can tell whenever people are lying, and they can't tell when he's lying. So because he can figure out all their dirty little secrets, he can do whatever he wants.

Remember when he threatened to tell that one guy's wife he was cheating on her, (even though he wasn't), just to get his way? I think it's kind of like that.

latino156

[11]Feb 16, 2011
    • level: 2
    I believe he's just trying to imitate House just to be as popular a as a character like House is