Life on Mars (UK) Forums

BBC (ended 2007)

Life on Mars *SpinOff* - Ashes to Ashes

FCBarca

[1]Jan 31, 2007
    • level: 15

For those who are interested, it appears that BBC1 is now confirming that a spinoff of Life on Mars will be produced at the conclusion of Series 2.

The series will also be titled after another David Bowie tune, 'Ashes to Ashes' and follow Gene Hunt and other characters from the original series set this time in the 80's.

Project is technically not been given the green light but they are in negotiations with Kudos (Production Co. for Life on Mars).

Stay tuned

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sean2mush

[3]Feb 2, 2007
    • level: 6
    do the writers of this show have a love affair with bowie, this sounds fun, can't wait to see gene hunt in a perm lol

CayReet

[4]Feb 12, 2007
    • level: 4
    I think that could be quite interesting ... and as Bowie started his career in the 70s, taking the title of one of his songs as the title of the series was quite a good idea - and why not stick with the principle for the spin-off?

CaledonianCraig

[5]Feb 13, 2007
    • level: 1
    Sounds interesting.Perhaps it will follow the instance of what happened to Sam and have the 'Gene Genie' have an accident and is sent forward to the 1980's at the same time Sam is sent back to his own time?

Stews_ego

[6]Feb 15, 2007
    i think it sounds awful.
    I love life on mars but I'm not sure about a spin of with gene. I think I'll just have to see how they end season two before I judge but at the moment I don't see how it can work.

noelveiga

[7]Feb 17, 2007
    • level: 14

Pros and cons of this idea:

We get to see more of the great characters without having to stretch the premise beyond reasonable limits.

We get to see the 80's as per these characters. Nostalgia trip all over again.

We don't get Sam?

We don't get the wonderful buddy movie Sam/Gene relationship. How does the show survive THAT?

We don't get a sci-fi, Back-to-the-Future subplot?

If this is true, the LoM universe will have almost too many ramifications for its own good. A potentially longer-lasting US remake and a UK spin-off at the same time. That's a bit of a mess. For now, I'm just happy that we get a season 2.

Edge78

[8]Feb 21, 2007
    • level: 7
    noelveiga wrote:

Pros and cons of this idea:

We get to see more of the great characters without having to stretch the premise beyond reasonable limits.

We get to see the 80's as per these characters. Nostalgia trip all over again.

We don't get Sam?

We don't get the wonderful buddy movie Sam/Gene relationship. How does the show survive THAT?

We don't get a sci-fi, Back-to-the-Future subplot?

If this is true, the LoM universe will have almost too many ramifications for its own good. A potentially longer-lasting US remake and a UK spin-off at the same time. That's a bit of a mess. For now, I'm just happy that we get a season 2.

agreed, wise words but lets see... things may get dicey if it turns out to be a bad spinoff...

BigRedNev

[9]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 22
    Assuming Sam is a cop from 2006 and he gets back there... we could see backflashes of him being influenced to be a cop by a reformed Gene Hunt, influenced himself of course by Sam's time in his life!!!

Failing that if Sam doesn't get back to 2006 we could see him persuading his younger self to be a cop and preventing him turning to a life of crime as a result of his father being absent in his life.

Without any of the sci-fi element and all that we could just see an interesting cop drama/comedy set in the eighties. Will be quite retro by then. A lot if good music to play with as well as the weaker stuff.

Anyway it could have legs whichever way it goes.
    Edited on 03/19/2007 9:01am

Edge78

[10]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 7
     meh its a toss up as far as the idea goes only the end of the series will tell...

Terry5

[11]Mar 7, 2007
    • level: 8
    I think it could work, but I agree we'll have to wait till the end of this series before we can make anymore judgements.

DecoyOfHam

[12]Mar 13, 2007
    I love the show, its been great, and I like that they havent felt the need to draw it out to keep an audience watching... As for a spinoff, I will wait to see what they come up with, I agree with previous posts, it could go either way. Given the strength of this series, if they do make a spin-off, I'll definately give the spin-off chance and watch it.

Brooks1878

[13]Mar 19, 2007
    Great we get to see the greed of the eighties,the right wing gov's of Thatcher & Reagan,those crappy hair cuts and worst of all the SH##TY music.the best thing about the 80's was Dec 31 1989

trentben

[14]Mar 24, 2007

Life on Mars is one of the best, most original dramas I've seen for years.  I think it's great nostalgia - time travel with a difference.  It is good that they are finalising it after 2 seasons and not dragging it out too much, but I also think a spin off set in the 1980s would be great.

Found some (but maybe not enough) good reminders of 1980s TV nostalgia here... http://1980stv.50webs.com 

wallness

[15]Mar 27, 2007
    • level: 9
    Brooks1878 wrote:
    Great we get to see the greed of the eighties,the right wing gov's of Thatcher & Reagan,those crappy hair cuts and worst of all the SH##TY music.the best thing about the 80's was Dec

You are kidding, right? 80s' music, generally speaking, are much better than today's pop crap...

Truspiked

[16]Apr 10, 2007
    I have just seen the final episode, I don't think this spin-off can work (I won't spoil anything). But I would love to see how they pull this one off!

WantToBelieve

[17]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 10
    I think it could work, having seen the last episode...

kimmydimmy

[18]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 3

Truspiked,   I've also just finished watching the final episode and disagree with you. There is no reason why a spin-off could not work!  You just alter the focus of the show slightly to concentrate on The Team as opposed to just Sam

Edited on 04/10/2007 2:37pm
    Edited 3 total times.

WantToBelieve

[19]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 10

I think it'd be nice

Especially if Sam features! And Annie

kimmydimmy

[20]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 3

It would be interesting to see just how much of an impact Sam and Gene have had on one another over a decade.