Life on Mars (UK) Forums

BBC (ended 2007)

What really happened to Sam - SPOILERS

willmac06

[1]Apr 24, 2007
    • level: 6
    The co-creator of Life on Mars has confirmed that Sam is dead, and that him returning to the 70's is the last few seconds of his life, and driving off into the distance is him driving off into the after-life...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

FCBarca

[2]Apr 24, 2007
    • level: 15

willmac06 wrote:
    The co-creator of Life on Mars has confirmed that Sam is dead, and that him returning to the 70's is the last few seconds of his life, and driving off into the distance is him driving off into the after-life...

Seems redundant to post this but apparently there remains a few fans still confused with what is pretty obvious....Then again, they probably still think there are WMDs to be found somewhere in Iraq. 

willmac06

[3]Apr 25, 2007
    Well of course people are still confused about what happened - it was really ambiguous. Just thought I'd post it to clear up lose ends for those who are still confused - that's not redundant!

FCBarca

[4]Apr 26, 2007

willmac06 wrote:
    Well of course people are still confused about what happened - it was really ambiguous. Just thought I'd post it to clear up lose ends for those who are still confused - that's not redundant!

My point was that there are several threads on this, several articles on this on the web and interviews with the directors/writers themselves that explain the ending pretty clearly...It's hard to see where the ambiguity is.

a_spod

[5]Apr 28, 2007
    FCBarca wrote:

My point was that there are several threads on this, several articles on this on the web and interviews with the directors/writers themselves that explain the ending pretty clearly...It's hard to see where the ambiguity is.

Its only unambiguous once you've researched it!  And here's as good a place as any to find a definitive answer.

For my own part, I didn't equate the dreams of Sam's comatose mind with an eschatological experience - so, like a lot of people, I figured he'd survived the fall, and was back in a coma, in some ICU.  So I was I glad of a 'one stop shop' that cleared it all up.

willmac06

[6]Apr 28, 2007
    Thankyou!

MarsupialWoman

[7]Jul 11, 2007
    • level: 5
    I think the ambiguity came from optimism. I prefer to think he actually willed himself back, and is stuck in a 2006 coma. The show is not obligated to be realistic. Plus, if you look too deep, now he just committed suicide in the present, leaving his mum. Nope, don't want to believe the dead/afterlife conclusion, and I wish I had not read this post. Oh, well.
    Edited on 07/11/2007 6:53pm

MarsupialWoman

[8]Jul 11, 2007
    • level: 5
    But I did absolutely love this show! And hope Ashes is half as good...

suiycfui

[9]Jul 18, 2007
    • level: 10
    Let's face it, folks. The show was a fantasy, not a documentary. You can put whatever meaning to the ending that you want. If you want Sam to be living a happy life in 1973, then that's what you get. If you want him dead, then you can have that, too. If the producers/creators/directors of the show wanted an absolutely definitive end, they should have filmed it that way. But they didn't, and being bright people they knew what they were doing.

DumbestSmartGuy

[10]Jul 24, 2008
    • level: 2
    I really love how ambigious the ending is, because depending how you look at it it's either a very happy one or just kinda depressing. I certainly didn't know exactly how to feel after I saw it.

tubpat

[11]Aug 6, 2008
    • level: 12

suiycfui wrote:
    Let's face it, folks. The show was a fantasy, not a documentary. You can put whatever meaning to the ending that you want. If you want Sam to be living a happy life in 1973, then that's what you get. If you want him dead, then you can have that, too. If the producers/creators/directors of the show wanted an absolutely definitive end, they should have filmed it that way. But they didn't, and being bright people they knew what they were doing.

I agree! For me it was an alternate dimension and Sam is happy in 1973. It's what I want it to be. That's the fun of Entertainment!

tben2004

[12]Sep 10, 2008
    • level: 1
    If you seen that new show. Can't remember what it called. You found out that sam is died from sucide and that he speat 5 years there. he died when the car he was in went in water.

plugh1

[13]Sep 27, 2008
    I liked the ambiguous endinbg and like to think that Sam is alive in 1973. The future Sam was the unreal Sam bought on by the early car crash. Only problem is his knowledge of the future.

plugh1

[14]Sep 29, 2008
    Hmmm - Ashes to Ashes provides a definitive answer.

ummhaniyyah

[15]Nov 29, 2008
    • level: 8
    Liked the show a lot but really hated this ending. In the end he chooses fantasies over reality and leaves his Mum (who has no one else and who fought really hard to get him back). Really selfish. Then in his head he is a hero and gets everything he wants. Since the cause of his illness was a tumor it could well have affected his mood. The sensible thing would have been to talk to his doctors - maybe go on meds and go for therapy. Instead he jumps off a building.

giggs92

[16]Jan 4, 2009
    • level: 4

tben2004 wrote:
    If you seen that new show. Can't remember what it called. You found out that sam is died from sucide and that he speat 5 years there. he died when the car he was in went in water.

The new show is "Ashes to Ashes" and is o.k; I've only seen the first 3 episodes as it is just started on BBC Canada. You'll note though, that Sam's body was not found so does that mean something?

PowerSurgeX

[17]Jul 18, 2009

Lay your doubts to rest, people. Here's what really happened (warning: spoilers):

>>>

>>>

The whole thing was a simulation in his mind. Basically they were on the space ship going to Mars for something like 2 years. So while they were in some sort of stasis pod they had a simulation to keep them occupied. He chose to be a cop in 2008. Then they went through a meteorite storm (or something like that) which cause some kind of malfunction is equipment that caused him to go back to 1973 (or whatever year it was). All the people he worked with were the same as the people on the ship. Then it turns out Gene Hunt in 1973 is actually his father in real life and the purpose of the mars trip is a gene hunt. The thing he learns is that he wants to have relationship with the female cop (from what I gather) who is part of the space mission (possibly in charge) and that he wants to have a good relationship with his father.

TheOldBill

[18]Jul 25, 2009
    • level: 94
    Hmmm… It seems you have been watching Life on Mars (U.S.), where they did indeed come up with this contrived "reveal". None of that applies to the original show, the nature of which was explained by the writer-creators and has been further explored in Ashes to Ashes.

PowerSurgeX

[19]Aug 12, 2009
    TheOldBill wrote:
    Hmmm… It seems you have been watching Life on Mars (U.S.), where they did indeed come up with this contrived "reveal". None of that applies to the original show, the nature of which was explained by the writer-creators and has been further explored in Ashes to Ashes.

I'll have to disagree. Since the original show didn't have what you referred to as a "reveal" the ending of the remake becomes canon ending for the original show as per the "principle of first mention". Furthermore the off-camera comments of the show producers can hardly be taken seriously. Not to mention "explored" isn't the same as "explained".

Setanta747

[20]Jan 1, 2010

PowerSurgeX wrote:
    I'll have to disagree. Since the original show didn't have what you referred to as a "reveal" the ending of the remake becomes canon ending for the original show as per the "principle of first mention". Furthermore the off-camera comments of the show producers can hardly be taken seriously. Not to mention "explored" isn't the same as "explained".

You seem a bit confused, PowerSurgeX. There was a TV series called Life On Mars, which had nothing to do with space travel, and then there was Life On Mars USA, which was to do with space travel. Life On Mars was based in Manchester in the United Kingdom. Life On Mars USA was based in New York, USA and was based on the original show, using the character names and plots. For some reason, known only to the writers of the US show presumably, some characters' names did change though - Annie became Norris instead of Cartwright and, ironically, Ruth Tyler (Sam's mum) becomes Rose Tyler! DCI Gene Hunt has no daughter, whereas Lt. Gene Hunt does. I haven't seen enough of the US version of the show to determine what the central themes are. I'm sure its own themes, pertinent to New York and the USA specifically, are well handled though. However, they are different shows, based on similar concepts - neither is 'canon' to the other. 'Life On Mars' is a euphemism - a contrast between the good old, bad old days and the relative freedom, and the strict, claustrophobic, sterile, soulless and bureaucratic modern world.

When it comes down to it, it doesn't matter whether Sam's character lived or died (or went back into a coma or woke up as a spaceman) - the point was that he had chosen the fantasy past over the glum present day.

And for a time, we got to share that fantasy with him.. until the test card girl switched us off at the end!