Life On Mars

Out Here in the Fields

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Oct 09, 2008 on ABC

• Not a bad start, but can it top the original?

There were two shows on tonight, Kath & Kim and Life on Mars, the former being originally an Australian comedy series, the latter being an intense British drama. I wanted to like both of them, but by the time I had finished Kath & Kim I was horrified at what kind of monstrosity Life on Mars might be. America's fascination with "making shows better" by making them in the US is sadly off base, but in some cases there have to be some good translations. The Office is a great example of making a show proving itself to be as good and unique as the BBC original.

Thankfully, Life on Mars was very good, a solid start. I found that I liked all the new actors, and the story was close enough to the original that I felt I was watching a set of near-identical twins performing the same roles I had already loved once before. It was a little different, but not entirely unfamiliar. Harvey Keitel as Gene Hunt is brilliant casting, I waited patiently for a real GH line and he delivered with "the year of the Fist"...classic!

Not bad at all, I will be giving it a chance!